The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My daughter submitted hers a few days ago. She's international (US) and is hoping to hear back on the earlier side as she's met the requirements for some schools (w/AP tests). The personal statement was tough though so not sure what to expect. Completely different type of writing than is done for applications over here, where the focus is on things like learning from failure, personal background, etc. and telling a story. I prefer the academic/course focus of the UK app--I was calling it the no fluff approach--but we'll see whether it works out for her...:smile:
Original post by Remaxmac
(..)

What has your daughter applied for? :smile:
My daughter submitted hers a few days ago. She's international (US) and is hoping to hear back on the earlier side as she's met the requirements for some schools (w/AP tests). The personal statement was tough though so not sure what to expect. Completely different type of writing than is done for applications over here, where the focus is on things like learning from failure, personal background, etc. and telling a story. I prefer the academic/course focus of the UK app--I was calling it the no fluff approach--but we'll see whether it works out for her...:smile:

Ahh amazing! Where's she applied for?
last year i remember warwick were sending out offers really quick, like literally a couple hours after people had their ucas application sent off

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had some friends who got their Warwick offers for science/maths courses a day or two after they applied, some say they automatically give offers to everyone predicted AAA or above.

I applied to Warwick last year for law and they were the slowest out of all my choices to give me an offer! Didn't hear from them until March even though I applied in October

Warwick maths/science - super speedy
Warwick humanities - super slow
Original post by TelAviv
I had some friends who got their Warwick offers for science/maths courses a day or two after they applied, some say they automatically give offers to everyone predicted AAA or above.

I applied to Warwick last year for law and they were the slowest out of all my choices to give me an offer! Didn't hear from them until March even though I applied in October

So would you assume that Warwick give out economics offers quite quickly? Given economics is somewhat a science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TelAviv

Did you apply for Notts bebs?
Reply 27
Warwick will start sending offers massively at the end of September. I hope that I will be one of these people
Original post by Don Joiner
So would you assume that Warwick give out economics offers quite quickly? Given economics is somewhat a science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I think that would be a very reasonable assumption. Could be different this year though, particularly considering Warwick great for economics
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Did you apply for Notts bebs?

Sure did captain, offer came through within an hour of another sometime Mid February
Ahh amazing! Where's she applied for?

Original post by DarkEnergy
What has your daughter applied for? :smile:

Thanks! It was definitely a relief to get it in. She applied for archaeology. she's been focused on both arch and uk for years so she knew what she needed to have in place.
predicted a*a*a here for A2
Original post by TelAviv
Yes I think that would be a very reasonable assumption. Could be different this year though, particularly considering Warwick great for economics

Sure did captain, offer came through within an hour of another sometime Mid February

February? Oh god I can't wait that long :frown: Might be different this year.

Thanks! It was definitely a relief to get it in. She applied for archaeology. she's been focused on both arch and uk for years so she knew what she needed to have in place.

What unis has she applied for then?
Reply 32
UCAS is blocked. I hate when this happens
February? Oh god I can't wait that long :frown: Might be different this year.
s

I think my late offer was mostly due to the fact that I didn't do the LNAT until December, combined with the fact that law is one of Nott's most subscribed courses.

Wishing you luck in your application!
Original post by BioOx
UCAS is blocked. I hate when this happens

Same, now my perpetual cycle of changing UCAS choices has came to a halt :frown:

What unis has she applied for then?

She's used four so far--York, Newcastle, Cambridge and Durham. She decided to hold one choice back to see how it goes, which I thought was a good strategy as she isn't sure how meeting qualifications equates with an actual offer. In the US even if you meet the typical qualifications you may only have a 4-5% of getting in to Stanford or other top schools (the app system in US is big time broken IMO). From reading through the posts last year, it looks like a couple of these unis turned around fairly quick responses, although I didn't see any for archaeology. It would be really nice if she did hear back quickly as I doubt she'd apply to any US schools with an unconditional in UK.
Haven't applied yet. I'll probably send off my application in two weeks. Should be applying to Oxford,KCL, Manchester, Bristol, and either UCL or Liverpool.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Haven't applied yet. I'll probably send off my application in two weeks. Should be applying to Oxford,KCL, Manchester, Bristol, and either UCL or Liverpool.

What course are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 38
I am applying Biological sciences and Biochemistry to Oxford,UCL,Imperial, Edinburgh and Warwick.

I am going to send my application next week and then I am going to count seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks..until I receive my first offer.

...international applicant tho
Original post by DarkEnergy
What course are you applying for? :smile:

Law/Law with Politics and Philosophy(KCL)

Latest

Trending

Trending