The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry

hi, I just wanted to ask any Graduate entry medics which undergrad courses did you study and what was the whole process apply to graduate, medicine like?
Thank you
Reply 1
Not a GEM student, but a GEM applicant.

GEM students can come from a wide variety of backgrounds as many GEM courses are open to students who didn't study science-based undergraduate courses. However, the majority are from a science background with biomedical science seeming to be the most popular from my experience.

There is a GEM guide on here, albeit a bit outdated in some areas - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide. Most, if not all, GEM courses require some form of entrance exam prior to application, such as the UKCAT, GAMSAT, or BMAT. Some of these require science based knowledge and others don't. Work experience also plays a large role in applying to GEM, many universities require hands-on patient care experience and like to see longevity in your pursuit of experience.

If you have any additional questions I'd be happy to try and answer them :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Marathi
Not a GEM student, but a GEM applicant.

GEM students can come from a wide variety of backgrounds as many GEM courses are open to students who didn't study science-based undergraduate courses. However, the majority are from a science background with biomedical science seeming to be the most popular from my experience.

There is a GEM guide on here, albeit a bit outdated in some areas - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide. Most, if not all, GEM courses require some form of entrance exam prior to application, such as the UKCAT, GAMSAT, or BMAT. Some of these require science based knowledge and others don't. Work experience also plays a large role in applying to GEM, many universities require hands-on patient care experience and like to see longevity in your pursuit of experience.

If you have any additional questions I'd be happy to try and answer them :smile:

Thanks so much, which course did you take before applying?
Reply 3
Original post by zakattak
Thanks so much, which course did you take before applying?

I did a BA in Graphic Design, followed by 5 years of working in design/marketing. Also I have just finished an MA alongside working as a Healthcare Assistant as I only achieved a 2.ii in my undergrad degree.

Choosing a science degree opens more options as not all GEM programmes are open to non-science applicants.
Reply 4
Original post by Marathi
I did a BA in Graphic Design, followed by 5 years of working in design/marketing. Also I have just finished an MA alongside working as a Healthcare Assistant as I only achieved a 2.ii in my undergrad degree.

Choosing a science degree opens more options as not all GEM programmes are open to non-science applicants.

Ohh ok, hoping you'll get a place. Where are you applying to?
Reply 5
Original post by zakattak
Ohh ok, hoping you'll get a place. Where are you applying to?

Thanks, me too! Nottingham, Swansea, SGUL, and Warwick.
Reply 6
Original post by Marathi
Thanks, me too! Nottingham, Swansea, SGUL, and Warwick.

Nice choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending