The Student Room Group

How many offers did you get?

Poll

How many offers did you get?

UCAS 2017 is underway! I thought it might help this year's applicants if previous students could say how many offers they ended up with. Vote in the poll and then comment with your predicted grades and the number of offers. It would be great if you'd also add more info (e.g. who rejected you :frown: ).
e.g.
ABB : 4

Go!
:bubbles:

PS. This TSR article on avoiding 5 rejections is required reading for all applicants :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reserved
AAB prediction, 5 offers. I don't know anyone who didn't get 5 offers other than medicine and oxbridge applicants.
Original post by Callum323
AAB prediction, 5 offers. I don't know anyone who didn't get 5 offers other than medicine and oxbridge applicants.

Nice, did you apply to any universities with typical offers > your predicted grades?
Reserved
I'd really like to know what everyone applied for and where as well as just the number of offers they got. AS grades would be interesting to know too.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Nice, did you apply to any universities with typical offers > your predicted grades?

One wanted AAB, three wanted ABB, one wanted BBB. I thought universities would put more weight on your AS grades than your predicted grades, so I thought I was being ambitious and would be lucky if any of them accepted me.

I really overestimated how competitive universities are, and since I'm the first in my family to go my parents had no idea if they'd accept me or not.
Was predicted A*A*A
Rejected by Oxford for English Language and Literature, but offers from UCL and King's for Linguistics, Queen Mary for Literature and Linguistics, and King's for English.
One wanted AAB, three wanted ABB, one wanted BBB. I thought universities would put more weight on your AS grades than your predicted grades, so I thought I was being ambitious and would be lucky if any of them accepted me.

I really overestimated how competitive universities are, and since I'm the first in my family to go my parents had no idea if they'd accept me or not.

Cool, I'll also be the first of my family to (hopefully) go to uni. Congrats on getting in! What course if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Was predicted A*A*A
Rejected by Oxford for English Language and Literature, but offers from UCL and King's for Linguistics, Queen Mary for Literature and Linguistics, and King's for English.

I'm guessing you really wanted to live in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkEnergy
Cool, I'll also be the first of my family to (hopefully) go to uni. Congrats on getting in! What course if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks :smile: I'm doing biochemistry, what are you planning on doing?
Original post by asmuse123
I'm guessing you really wanted to live in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to be able to commute from Essex...and I happen to love London :smile: All of the universities I'm applying to for my Msc are all London too :-)
Reply 12
Four offers. I was applying as a mature student and received conditional offers from Cambridge (NatSci), Imperial and UCL, unconditional from York (all for biology). Rejected by Manchester as "do not meet our academic requirements" :K:
Thanks :smile: I'm doing biochemistry, what are you planning on doing?

Hoping to do Physics, at St Andrews preferably.
Reserved
Original post by sayswho
Four offers. I was applying as a mature student and received conditional offers from Cambridge (NatSci), Imperial and UCL, unconditional from York (all for biology). Rejected by Manchester as "do not meet our academic requirements" :K:
Oh no :frown:. Are Manchester that hard to get into? I just want to get you guys' opinions of the likelyhood of me getting an offer from Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton/Birmingham for a Maths course. Their typical offers are A*AA-AAA; i'm predicted A*(A*/A)C with the C in chemistry. Last year I got AACD respectively in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. The A*(A*/A) prediction are for Maths and Further Maths respectively. With a good PS and reference what are my chances of getting an offer?
Thankfully @jneill has given me some hope. Just want to know what other people think.

Spoiler

Reply 16
5 offers for Maths with BBB predictions, but applied to unis requiring AAB/A*AB.

I made sure to research each uni and applied to my strengths.
Predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing.

Got offers from St Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial and Cambridge :smile:
I got AAA In my AS. Does anyone think I'll have a chance at imperial for Chem Eng. with predictions of A*AA, even though they require A*A*A?
Original post by OGFakiie
I got AAA In my AS. Does anyone think I'll have a chance at imperial for Chem Eng. with predictions of A*AA, even though they require A*A*A?

I would say you have a good chance, provided you get the required grades in the end obviously :wink: When I applied to Imperial last year, I found that they considered my personal statement a lot (a pleasant surprise after the Cambridge application), so I'd suspect you'll be far more likely to get interviewed if you read like an interesting person in your personal statement. That was just my experience though.

I found this FoI request (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/percentage_of_applicants_getting) which returned that 55% of applicants for MSci Chemical Engineering in 2015 were invited for interview, which means that you have a reasonable chance at that. Once you've made it to the interview stage there are a lot of other factors that start to creep in... 15% of all applicants received an offer in 2015.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending