The Student Room Group

I know this sounds sad but how do you meet people

I know this sounds really really sad but i have a lack of friends within my immediate area.

I grew up in a rural area and moved back home after finishing uni. Slowly but surely each of my friends moved away and it's just me and my GF left now. Essentially all of my friends live more than 2-3 hours away.

-School friends - all moved away
-Uni friends - all stil in the uni town or their respective home town many miles away
- Work friends - I work in consultnacy and i am based at our major client, people in my team live 4+ hours away and only come up for a week every other month (it's a rotating team and i am the only permanent fixture). People on my grad scheme are scattered all over the county

TLDR - I have lots of friends but none of them live locally, how do you make friends and meet new people?
Meetup.com? I haven't tried it myself but I know people who have made friends from it :smile:
I've moved this over to friends, family and work for you. :hugs: Hopefully there'll be lots of good advice here for you!

Take care
Ethan
I was gonna make this thread.
Sorry I cant help but ill be checking here a lot as it applies to me too! Even though I have no friends at all :frown:
Original post by Precious Illusions
Meetup.com? I haven't tried it myself but I know people who have made friends from it :smile:

How? Aren't they full of middle aged/old people?

Original post by FireFreezer77
I was gonna make this thread.
Sorry I cant help but ill be checking here a lot as it applies to me too! Even though I have no friends at all :frown:

^ me
Look up local charities, cats' shelters, Drama Club, organise / help with youth club, visit old isolated people, take then to their hospital appointments, offer to help with gardening, help with local events - galas, well dressings, offer to take dogs for walks, offer to help at local stables, - all activities where you'll meet the families /friends of the main protagonists.
Original post by ckfeister
How? Aren't they full of middle aged/old people?

I've not used it, but there are groups for younger people I'm sure. Or at least people who have similar interests. You could always join and just have a look.
Original post by blue n white army
I know this sounds really really sad but i have a lack of friends within my immediate area.

I grew up in a rural area and moved back home after finishing uni. Slowly but surely each of my friends moved away and it's just me and my GF left now. Essentially all of my friends live more than 2-3 hours away.

-School friends - all moved away
-Uni friends - all stil in the uni town or their respective home town many miles away
- Work friends - I work in consultnacy and i am based at our major client, people in my team live 4+ hours away and only come up for a week every other month (it's a rotating team and i am the only permanent fixture). People on my grad scheme are scattered all over the county

TLDR - I have lots of friends but none of them live locally, how do you make friends and meet new people?

if you live in the country there should be a Young Farmers group locally. They are not just for farmers ! *
Original post by pickup
Look up local charities, cats' shelters, Drama Club, organise / help with youth club, visit old isolated people, take then to their hospital appointments, offer to help with gardening, help with local events - galas, well dressings, offer to take dogs for walks, offer to help at local stables, - all activities where you'll meet the families /friends of the main protagonists.

This.
I'm walking to a charity tomorrow to start talking to people. I've already given away my biggest procrastination tool and blocked my phone browser for all of the day. Now there's no excuse for me to talk to unknowns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending