The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey I am Arjun
my hobbies and interests include playing football , listening to music and playing the guitar
I have taken three sciences and math
all of the subjects mentioned above are my favourite
My ideal future occupation would be to become a cardiologist
Original post by Gymnast7
I'm taking English lit, history, maths and further maths.
There doesn't seem to be many revision guides around for English; I think the expectation is that we do our own research online about a text, and use that to form our own opinions and present an argument, but with texts where there is little available online, it is difficult to do this...

My school seems to have this really bizarre policy where they ignore the GCSE results we received only a few weeks ago and reassess us on the content of our GCSE exams themselves in a series of assessments over the next two weeks. I understand that they are checking what we have forgotten over the summer, but it just seems a bit excessive! Have you had to do anything like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao nope !! No exams yet. :h: But I will do around December. So have you had any lessons or are you just doing exams?
I thought there would be more stuff online since people did the new spec last year but there is nothing, only the exemplar material on their website which doesn't help much when you don't even know what it's about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by *Noodles*
lmao nope !! No exams yet. :h: But I will do around December. So have you had any lessons or are you just doing exams?
I thought there would be more stuff online since people did the new spec last year but there is nothing, only the exemplar material on their website which doesn't help much when you don't even know what it's about.

I've had lessons as well, but I'm spending some of them doing these assessments. We don't have mock exams until January, and, if we don't pass these, we don't get entered for the real thing!
Sometimes the text itself has notes of some kind in either the front or back - these are quite useful if you have them. Apart from that, if there's hardly anything online, I guess you'll have to get all of your notes from your lessons...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Introduce Yourself
Hey, I'm Katie and I live in East Anglia.
What are your hobbies and interests?
I don't really have any hobbies, unless you count writing (but I'm not doing that at the moment). My interests vary a lot. My main obsession is LOTR, but I like a lot of the main Fandoms (eg Supernatural and Doctor Who). I love comic books, especially the Flash. I watch a lot of movies and YouTube. I read. My favourite band is Bastille. I own a sword too, which is really cool.
What subjects are you taking?
I am taking History, Classical Civilisation, Philosophy & Ethics and English Lang.
Favourite subjects?
My favourite subjects are Classics, Philosophy (my teacher looks like a young Stephen Fry) and History.
Future Occupation?
I'm not exactly sure, but I want to work in a museum. But before I get a full-time job I want to go to a Russell group university (Hopefully Cambridge or Edinburgh).
Reply 824
I'm Joe! I'm into acting, and like to do that in my spare time! I'm studying geography, media and English Lang & Lit A levels! I wanna start using this app more often as I'm starting to struggle already with the gcse to a level jump! Hoping to make some friends on here maybe?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
I'm Joe! I'm into acting, and like to do that in my spare time! I'm studying geography, media and English Lang & Lit A levels! I wanna start using this app more often as I'm starting to struggle already with the gcse to a level jump! Hoping to make some friends on here maybe?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I'm in the same boat as you, the GCSE to A level jump :/ I'm doing Maths, FM, Physics and Computing as my A levels :smile: How are you finding school so far? or college?
Reply 826
Original post by hamza772000
Hey! I'm in the same boat as you, the GCSE to A level jump :/ I'm doing Maths, FM, Physics and Computing as my A levels :smile: How are you finding school so far? or college?

Wow those are some tricky A levels😳 I've gone to a college! Yeah it's good, I like the relaxed feel & I'm making lots of new friends which is nice! Are you at a college or a school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
Wow those are some tricky A levels😳 I've gone to a college! Yeah it's good, I like the relaxed feel & I'm making lots of new friends which is nice! Are you at a college or a school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, true but if I were to do the ones you're doing, I'd be struggling :tongue: My school's pretty relaxed even though it may not seem that way, yeah I go to a school, I've met a lot of new people you just keep meeting new people everyday tbh :tongue:
Reply 828
Haha, true but if I were to do the ones you're doing, I'd be struggling :tongue: My school's pretty relaxed even though it may not seem that way, yeah I go to a school, I've met a lot of new people you just keep meeting new people everyday tbh :tongue:

That's good then! Yeah that's what I've found, it's great😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
That's good then! Yeah that's what I've found, it's great😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you plan to do after your A levels? :smile:

Hey! Doing maths and further maths as well :smile: which exam board are you on and how are you finding it so far? Was also going to choose physics but then decided not to ahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hey! Doing maths and further maths as well :smile: which exam board are you on and how are you finding it so far? Was also going to choose physics but then decided not to ahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR MEI, wbu?
So far it's fine, currently I'm doing S1 and C1, C1 is great and S1 is fine too, just a lil more trickier although quite fun if you get it :smile:

Physics has been fun so far tbh :smile:
Reply 832
What do you plan to do after your A levels? :smile:

I'm not too sure! Defo hoping to go uni, I do like geog and media though so maybe a job which combines them both? Idk, kinda wish my college did a level drama though😢 what are your plans? Everyone's so much more planned out in life than me😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR MEI, wbu?
So far it's fine, currently I'm doing S1 and C1, C1 is great and S1 is fine too, just a lil more trickier although quite fun if you get it :smile:

Physics has been fun so far tbh :smile:

Oh right ok! Im doing EdExcel!

My teacher told me that the exam board 'MEI' are for those who do not have a teacher or something like that ahaha!

Oh so your only starting off with 2 modules? In my school I'm given 1 maths teacher who teaches 3 of my lessons for C1 and will be doing C2, C3 and C4 and then I have 2 further maths teachers teaching 5 of my lessons. One of them is teaching me S1 up until end of November and then will start teaching M1 until April, the other teacher is teaching me D1 up until the end of November and will be teaching me FP1 after up until April!
My maths teacher is teaching us C1 up until end of November and then doing C2 until April!

Sorry that sounds super confusing so hopefully you get it ahaha :s-smilie:

Yh it's going really well! S1 is a module that's super easy to lose marks on and my FM teacher said that his students tend to divert from liking statistics to mechanics after a few months because of how easy it is to lose marks in the stats modules ahaha! Im super excited to start M1 lol I love mechanics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J0333
I'm not too sure! Defo hoping to go uni, I do like geog and media though so maybe a job which combines them both? Idk, kinda wish my college did a level drama though😢 what are your plans? Everyone's so much more planned out in life than me😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, not really sure, definitely uni, and then perhaps a Masters degree in Engineering, probably Software Engineering but yh I'm not entirely sure about anything atm, just worried about A levels rn :tongue:
Original post by ColossalAtom
Welcome to the official Year 12 Thread! (2016-2017) :bigsmile::borat::bunny::clap2::dance::elefant::excited:

*grabs an old school microphone descending from the ceiling*

Students! We're going to embark on a journey like we have never experienced! The first year of the A-levels :work:! The jump may seem big to some of you from the GCSEs that we did, but show no fear! Fence with them, en garde and riposte! :fight:

Now time to tell us who you are. :hello:

- Introduce yourself
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- What subjects are you planning to take?
- Your favourite subject(s)?
- Your ideal future occupation? :smartass:

Future Oxbridge applicants:

Cambridge - @ColossalAtom, @CyberJake, @Mahrez, @emi.hopkins, @TSlayerr, @enidblytonlife, @MezmorisedPotato, @CloakedSpartan, @metellaest, @drapplepilot, @Enigmatically, @emmald583

Oxford - @kennethdcharles

(Let me know if one of these is your trajectory, then I'll add you there. Also feel free to recommend some I haven't added on yet)

Aspiring medical doctor(s): @ColossalAtom, @LDS16, @drapplepilot, @nisha.sri, @Fractite, @snoamdaila, @abbi.rebecca, @starstudent7, @MezmorisedPotato, @homeland.lsw, @Elliwhi

Aspiring lawyer(s): @LieutenantJ, @cherryblossoming, @lonyeka, @sahil19, @Juedjegfewo

Aspiring banker(s): @AdeptDz

Aspiring physicist(s): @kennethdcharles

Aspiring engineer(s): @Mahrez, @sfairy27, @Chemgawd99, @ElMcDonald, @enidblytonlife

Aspiring dentist(s): @icy_typhoon, @sulaimanali

Aspiring teacher(s): @lozza_X, @amybmth, @Jazzy_j_, @NiamhM1801, @CharmingCat, @AlevelBiologist

Aspiring computer developer(s): @Vyres, @shirleydongj, @CyberJake, @Lelanor, @Waveyalex, @CloakedSpartan

Aspiring veterinarian(s): @Edosawr

Aspiring actor(s)/actresses(s): @sulaimanali

Some bits of this was stolen from @JTran38 year 11 thread.

I'm always continuously editing.

Hii, please add me to the aspiring lawyers list, and the Cambridge list!

Anyway; I'm taking History (AQA Russia and British Politics), Politics (Edexcel), Economics (AQA). And I'd love to go to study law at Cambridge and become a barrister/lawyer/civil servant!
If anyone is taking the same subjects and spec. as me, I'd love to get to know you so we could help each other out! :h:
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Oh right ok! Im doing EdExcel!

My teacher told me that the exam board 'MEI' are for those who do not have a teacher or something like that ahaha!

Oh so your only starting off with 2 modules? In my school I'm given 1 maths teacher who teaches 3 of my lessons for C1 and will be doing C2, C3 and C4 and then I have 2 further maths teachers teaching 5 of my lessons. One of them is teaching me S1 up until end of November and then will start teaching M1 until April, the other teacher is teaching me D1 up until the end of November and will be teaching me FP1 after up until April!
My maths teacher is teaching us C1 up until end of November and then doing C2 until April!

Sorry that sounds super confusing so hopefully you get it ahaha :s-smilie:

Yh it's going really well! S1 is a module that's super easy to lose marks on and my FM teacher said that his students tend to divert from liking statistics to mechanics after a few months because of how easy it is to lose marks in the stats modules ahaha! Im super excited to start M1 lol I love mechanics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR MEI is the hardest exam board, I wish I did Edexcel :tongue:

Well, we're gonna do C1 and S1 till October I believe, but overall this year I'm doing C1, C2, S1, M1, D1, FP1.

Yeah, makes sense :smile: I have 2 teachers, one for the pure modules and one for applied modules :smile:

Yep, you can easily lose marks on S1 :tongue: I'm quite excited for M1 too as I'm doing Physics and Mechanics is really related to it :smile: :tongue:
OCR MEI is the hardest exam board, I wish I did Edexcel :tongue:

Well, we're gonna do C1 and S1 till October I believe, but overall this year I'm doing C1, C2, S1, M1, D1, FP1.

Yeah, makes sense :smile: I have 2 teachers, one for the pure modules and one for applied modules :smile:

Yep, you can easily lose marks on S1 :tongue: I'm quite excited for M1 too as I'm doing Physics and Mechanics is really related to it :smile: :tongue:

Yh I'm happy I'm not doing MEI ahaha!

Yay we're doing the same modules :smile: just saying D1 starts off with computer science maths which is super easy and fun like binary search, bubble sort, trace tables etc (that's for my exam board but shouldn't be too different for yours)!

Haha yh mechanics will help a lot! Apparently it's been shown that it increases your physics grade by quite a few doing mechanics maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColossalAtom
Welcome to the official Year 12 Thread! (2016-2017) :bigsmile::borat::bunny::clap2::dance::elefant::excited:

*grabs an old school microphone descending from the ceiling*

Students! We're going to embark on a journey like we have never experienced! The first year of the A-levels :work:! The jump may seem big to some of you from the GCSEs that we did, but show no fear! Fence with them, en garde and riposte! :fight:

Now time to tell us who you are. :hello:

- Introduce yourself
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- What subjects are you planning to take?
- Your favourite subject(s)?
- Your ideal future occupation? :smartass:

Future Oxbridge applicants:

Cambridge - @ColossalAtom, @CyberJake, @Mahrez, @emi.hopkins, @TSlayerr, @enidblytonlife, @MezmorisedPotato, @CloakedSpartan, @metellaest, @drapplepilot, @Enigmatically, @emmald583, @hxfsxh

Oxford - @kennethdcharles

(Let me know if one of these is your trajectory, then I'll add you there. Also feel free to recommend some I haven't added on yet)

Aspiring medical doctor(s): @ColossalAtom, @LDS16, @drapplepilot, @nisha.sri, @Fractite, @snoamdaila, @abbi.rebecca, @starstudent7, @MezmorisedPotato, @homeland.lsw, @Elliwhi

Aspiring lawyer(s): @LieutenantJ, @cherryblossoming, @lonyeka, @sahil19, @Juedjegfewo, @hxfsxh

Aspiring banker(s): @AdeptDz

Aspiring physicist(s): @kennethdcharles

Aspiring engineer(s): @Mahrez, @sfairy27, @Chemgawd99, @ElMcDonald, @enidblytonlife

Aspiring dentist(s): @icy_typhoon, @sulaimanali

Aspiring teacher(s): @lozza_X, @amybmth, @Jazzy_j_, @NiamhM1801, @CharmingCat, @AlevelBiologist

Aspiring computer developer(s): @Vyres, @shirleydongj, @CyberJake, @Lelanor, @Waveyalex, @CloakedSpartan

Aspiring veterinarian(s): @Edosawr

Aspiring actor(s)/actresses(s): @sulaimanali

Some bits of this was stolen from @JTran38 year 11 thread.

I'm always continuously editing.

Add me into the future Cambridge applicant and aspiring banker side as well please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 839
Haha, not really sure, definitely uni, and then perhaps a Masters degree in Engineering, probably Software Engineering but yh I'm not entirely sure about anything atm, just worried about A levels rn :tongue:

Haha, well I'm sure you'll ace your a levels then! I don't really have the same intelligence as the average TSR user but I do want to work hard to prove myself wrong as I have no confidence about myself in lessons but I'm going to pull that around!😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest