The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As someone who fully supports BLM in America...

That is one realistic as hell looking BB gun. Wouldn't have known the difference unless you were actually holding it

Shame the boy died though
Reply 61
Original post by Truths
Because one he is a child (who is most likely familiar with Tamar Rice at that). Two, he wasn't even carrying a real gun so what kind of stand off could he possibly expect to have?

And the police officer is supposed to know that it wasn't a real gun? Or should the police officer gamble with his life that the armed robbery suspect either is carrying a fake gun or is unwilling to shoot?

If he is familiar with Tamir Rice maybe he should of thought maybe pulling a gun out isn't a good idea.
Reply 62
Original post by joecphillips
And the police officer is supposed to know that it wasn't a real gun? Or should the police officer gamble with his life that the armed robbery suspect either is carrying a fake gun or is unwilling to shoot?

If he is familiar with Tamir Rice maybe he should of thought maybe pulling a gun out isn't a good idea.

You missed the point completely. I'm saying that the likelihood that a kid will draw a toy gun a cop that's pursuing him is very improbable. You can't defend yourself with a toy, that makes no sense. In the wise words of Judge Judy Sheindlin, "if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true".

Reply 63
Original post by Truths
You missed the point completely. I'm saying that the likelihood that a kid will draw a toy gun a cop that's pursuing him is very improbable. You can't defend yourself with a toy, that makes no sense. In the wise words of Judge Judy Sheindlin, "if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true".

Well ok let's ignore what has been said even by his friend who was there at the time that he drew the gun and instead push something else as it helps a cause you like.
Reply 64
Well ok let's ignore what has been said even by his friend who was there at the time that he drew the gun and instead push something else as it helps a cause you like.

Link? I read the article in the OP and saw no such testimony.
Reply 65
Original post by Truths
Link? I read the article in the OP and saw no such testimony.

I misread it sorry the friend says he pulled the gun on the armed robbery victim and then after initially complying with police tried to run.
Reply 66
I misread it sorry the friend says he pulled the gun on the armed robbery victim and then after initially complying with police tried to run.

Link?
Reply 67
Original post by Truths
Link?

It mentions how he wanted to rob somebody and even people who had seen the gun up close couldn't tell it was fake.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/09/16/tyre-kings-friend-bb-gun-wanted-rob-someone/
Original post by Truths
You missed the point completely. I'm saying that the likelihood that a kid will draw a toy gun a cop that's pursuing him is very improbable. You can't defend yourself with a toy, that makes no sense. In the wise words of Judge Judy Sheindlin, "if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true"

People don't always think clearly and make smart decisions when they're panicked (thirteen-year-old boys especially). They have a tendency to do dumb things.

He may have simply pulled it out in order to drop it or show that it wasn't a real gun, for instance. An adrenaline-fueled kid doesn't necessarily stop and think: "I should put my hands on my head and state calmly that I have a BB gun in my pocket."
Reply 69
It mentions how he wanted to rob somebody and even people who had seen the gun up close couldn't tell it was fake.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/09/16/tyre-kings-friend-bb-gun-wanted-rob-someone/

Thats not what I was asking for. I was asking for a source that supports your claim that "the friend says he pulled the gun on the armed robbery victim and then after initially complying with police tried to run".

Original post by Dandaman1
People don't always think clearly and make smart decisions when they're panicked (thirteen-year-old boys especially). They have a tendency to do dumb things.

He may have simply pulled it out in order to drop it or show that it wasn't a real gun, for instance. An adrenaline-fueled kid doesn't necessarily stop and think: "I should put my hands on my head and state calmly that I have a BB gun in my pocket."

I understand all of this and I'm not denying the plausibility of this possibility. I didn't say he would have the most rational thoughtful reaction. But people are painting the story that this kid essentially tried to kill a cop with a toy gun is really absurd.
Original post by BobSausage
What's the big deal over him being black? If he was a white robbery suspect would the police have laughed and let him off??? Of course they wouldn't people need to grow up and look past that at the fact that
A) a boy pulled a gun (although it was fake it looked realistic) on an officer
B) The police shot a kid.
TBH in this circumstance I don't blame them, but I know if this was the UK he would have been shot non-lethally and be alive for questioning.
So basically gun laws are poor, and the yanks need to grow a pair and knuckle down on their lax gun laws, then remove them from their officers.

No they'd have just taken him alive and picked up some fast food for him in case he was peckish. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135477/Cops-treated-Dylann-Roof-free-Burger-King-meal-Charleston-church-shooter-complained-feeling-hungry-reveals-police-chief.html

I get what you're saying, the cop legitimately may not have been able to tell it was a fake gun, but there is a genuine race issue in the US as well (and your points about the gun laws are valid as well).
Reply 71
Original post by Gwilym101
No they'd have just taken him alive and picked up some fast food for him in case he was peckish. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3135477/Cops-treated-Dylann-Roof-free-Burger-King-meal-Charleston-church-shooter-complained-feeling-hungry-reveals-police-chief.html

I get what you're saying, the cop legitimately may not have been able to tell it was a fake gun, but there is a genuine race issue in the US as well (and your points about the gun laws are valid as well).

It's amazing to push this racial agenda people supporting BLM only ever use this case because the number of whites killed by police is higher in pure numbers and proportional to violent crime.
Reply 72
I thought assisted suicide was illegal.
Reply 73
RAYSISM!
Original post by Truths
Because one he is a child (who is most likely familiar with Tamar Rice at that). Two, he wasn't even carrying a real gun so what kind of stand off could he possibly expect to have?

So the police now have super powers meaning they can tell whether a gun I'd "real" or not the moment they see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why did the officer shoot multiple times?
'Lawyer Sean Walton said there are witnesses who do not corroborate what authorities say happened."There are allegations that have been made regarding his actions, and those allegations cannot be taken as factual until a thorough, unbiased investigation has taken place," he added. '
Reply 77
Original post by Dandaman1

Before he left his house and presumably less adrenaline fueled would it be unreasonable to expect him to think leaving the house with a realistic looking weapon might be a bad idea
Original post by liviward36
Educate yourselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.82cd46083c7e

I really can't believe I live in a world where people are saying a child deserved to be murdered - because that's what it is. If this was a white child, without a doubt, this would be equally wrong! But the issue here lies in the institutional racism within America. There is undoubtable an issue and if you say otherwise you are wrong. Read a history book on American civil rights and tell me that there is progress. Ignoring racism won't make it go away. Educate yourselves first.

And don't get me started on America's lax gun control.

He wuz good boi. He din du nuffin
Original post by JohnGreek
I read about this in an earlier article, and I found this miscategorisation shocking. You don't need a firearm to threaten an officer's life - what should have been important is the fact that the suspect attacked him in the first place, armed or not.

- Cop shoots NFL player-sized guy when he was being charged at, moments after said guy had tried to wrestle the cop's gun from him in Ferguson, Missouri

- Riot and destroy Ferguson, Missouri cuz racism. *BLM logic.*

Latest