The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .......Jeff458
Me and you both bro!

I HATE THE ABSTRACT. So scared because I was relying on QR but ppl are now saying it was harder than Medify :'( Verbal is already bad for me and abstract is just guessing so I am terrified now!

QR is definitely easier in the actual exam tbh. Didn't score above 650 in any of the Kaplan mocks I did last year but ended up with 750 in the exam. Medify questions are probably harder than the ones that were on Kaplan too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
They probably were tbh. I gave up on Medify AR after one of their patterns involved the Fibonacci sequence(?). Some of the patterns are arguably as hard as the 1000Q book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the f*** is that 😂 I remember seeing a really dodgy algebra one a few days ago and I was like right that's me finished for AR tonight. I have mixed feelings with medify ngl. I can't do most the ones in that book either 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
What the f*** is that 😂 I remember seeing a really dodgy algebra one a few days ago and I was like right that's me finished for AR tonight. I have mixed feelings with medify ngl. I can't do most the ones in that book either 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally have no clue tbh. Only time I've ever heard of Fibonacci was when I used to watched Prison Break lool. I think Medify's really useful for VR and SJT but the QR/AR is a bit too difficult compared to the actual exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amazing score buddy!!!! That is absolutely stunning! I have no doubt a smart guy like you will get in now, I really hope you do!

I'm a hopeful medic.

How similar was each individual section of Medify compared to exam? Was Medify more similar or official mocks? And lastly, what scores roughly were you getting on medify if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, just so worried because I am aiming for 700 yet got 552 in a practice and literally ended up in tears :'(

Great stuff though once again!!!!

I was struggling to break 600 in each mock I did ngl

VR was hard because the text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally, other wise the texts were fine to understand but the whole of VR was me trying to adapt to the screen size. Similar to medify.

QR the questions were easy, pie charts, ratios, averages, percentage changes, the texts were not long except for the first stem when they try to put you off. In between UKCAT Ninja and Medify.

AR the patterns came to me but thats because I spent loads of hours on it. Nice basic patterns but hard to perceive at first.
If I got Kaplan and did the 3 mocks from there would that be a good substitute for the ukcat ninja do you think?

I didnt use kaplan so im not too sure plus i found out about it close to the exam and was not going to invest in it, ukcat ninja is free btw
29th September and this test is killing me! I am actually on medication because the doctor said I am feeling 'very stressed' :frown: I'm guessing that's bad at only 16 hahaha.

QR I feel like I am improving. AR is my worst but just did a mock (guessed more than 75% of the questions) and it was my highest score of 650! Verbal keeps screwing me. Just got 570 :frown: My average is only 617 which is sooo bad cos I need 700+.

I honestly don't know what to do!?

Wbu? When's yours and how you feeling for the sections?

I sure hope so!

What tactics for VR?
I usually skip to the T/F/CT questions then come back but for some reason I run out of time before I get a chance to come back around? It takes so long to read the passage :frown:

The T/F/CT ones are probably the easiest so if your going to skip any don't skip those ones! Don't read the passage first, instead read the question and pick out the key word then skim the passage for that word and once you find it read the sentences around it, this will save time.

I won't lie to you, I found VR slightly harder than medify and was my worst section on the day. But these tips should help you, it's what I done and I still got 670 in this section
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474146818.178140.jpg Just finished making this AR mind map so I thought I'd share it. Think it's more useful than the other one I made; there might be a few grammatical errors though because there wouldn't have been enough space to write otherwise. Hope it helps tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if any of you have ever used Jobtestprep.co.uk for your preparation? If so, was it valuable practice?

Secondly, does anyone have a spare set of login details to access medify for a few days? This would be enormously helpful as I've heard the QR and AR sections are nearly identical between Medify and the exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ASTK98
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474146818.178140.jpg Just finished making this AR mind map so I thought I'd share it. Think it's more useful than the other one I made; there might be a few grammatical errors though because there wouldn't have been enough space to write otherwise. Hope it helps tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!! Hopefully it'll help me with AR too, I've tried to make my own but it's no where near as detailed as yours!😽

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopeforunderdog
The T/F/CT ones are probably the easiest so if your going to skip any don't skip those ones! Don't read the passage first, instead read the question and pick out the key word then skim the passage for that word and once you find it read the sentences around it, this will save time.

I won't lie to you, I found VR slightly harder than medify and was my worst section on the day. But these tips should help you, it's what I done and I still got 670 in this section

Thanks. Still can't believe you got a score like that in VR! Did you end up guessing any, if so how many roughly?
Original post by Sniperdon227
I didnt use kaplan so im not too sure plus i found out about it close to the exam and was not going to invest in it, ukcat ninja is free btw

It says to pay like £25 for 2 weeks? Or did you just use the free questions and feel it was of enough help?
I was struggling to break 600 in each mock I did ngl

VR was hard because the text was squished vertically and stretched horizontally, other wise the texts were fine to understand but the whole of VR was me trying to adapt to the screen size. Similar to medify.

QR the questions were easy, pie charts, ratios, averages, percentage changes, the texts were not long except for the first stem when they try to put you off. In between UKCAT Ninja and Medify.

AR the patterns came to me but thats because I spent loads of hours on it. Nice basic patterns but hard to perceive at first.

The timing is just not enough :frown:

Original post by ASTK98
QR is definitely easier in the actual exam tbh. Didn't score above 650 in any of the Kaplan mocks I did last year but ended up with 750 in the exam. Medify questions are probably harder than the ones that were on Kaplan too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope it is! Oh, are you a gap year applicant?
Aw how come you're only 16? haha well done! i guess them all too:biggrin:! I just got 650 on VR as a practice thing just then but it never improves much :frown: yeah i would love 700+ but rn im settled on 630 as i can't see my AR score helping me out at all lol:frown: qr is sometimes okay for me and sometimes bad but the online calculator is so dodgy i hate it and thats why i hate the QR section so much. I really don't understand why we can't get a calculator from the centre, i was reading old threads and they used to be given physical non scientific calculators!! so yeah thats fair:smile: my test is 22nd so thursday next week:frown:

650 is an amazing VR score! If I got that I would be buzzing on the day! :smile:
I'm 16 because I am in my last year of academy? Normal is it not?

That's so unfair, the online calculator basically just annoys me. Best of luck with your test especially since it's exactly a week before mine! I really hope you get what you are looking for :smile:
Original post by ASTK98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoah!

Thank you so much!! Hopefully it'll help me with AR too, I've tried to make my own but it's no where near as detailed as yours!😽

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha.

I just make a list of all the patterns I see. Ngl, I do sometimes as a result get a few but not many. Plus I have already taken down 3 full pages (double sided) worth of patterns :/

One of the books I read said pick the two simplest boxes from each set and compare them. (eg the box which looks 'easiest' or has fewest items from A+B and compare them). Hopefully that should help out a bit?
Reply 4911
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, ...

u(n) = (u(n-1)) + (u(n-2)) is the pattern I think,

But yes agreed if you got this on test day you might as well go and open an umbrella inside, couldn't really get any more bad luck than you already have hahahaha.

What kind of mad student will think, after everything else, all in 30s, "Damn I forgot the Fibonacci sequence."?

Don't think this is equivalent of the day anyone as on the day for me it was very simple patterns mainly, so if you find a basic pattern, go with the damn thing!!
(edited 7 years ago)

650 is an amazing VR score! If I got that I would be buzzing on the day! :smile:
I'm 16 because I am in my last year of academy? Normal is it not?

That's so unfair, the online calculator basically just annoys me. Best of luck with your test especially since it's exactly a week before mine! I really hope you get what you are looking for :smile:

idk i just kind of assume everyone on here is 17/18/19 or a mature student lol sorry. Thank you! Good luck with yours too!

I just make a list of all the patterns I see. Ngl, I do sometimes as a result get a few but not many. Plus I have already taken down 3 full pages (double sided) worth of patterns :/

One of the books I read said pick the two simplest boxes from each set and compare them. (eg the box which looks 'easiest' or has fewest items from A+B and compare them). Hopefully that should help out a bit?

I make a list too and i have recently converted that into a mind map. and yes i recently felt really down about my AR so i wouldn't even have a technique i would just stare at the sets lol but ive started looking at simple boxes and its really helped so im gonna carry on :smile: fingers crossed i would love 700 for AR, maybe 900 is asking for a bit much but i watched this guy on youtube who literally got 900 in his AR like how?????
@Jeff458 you complete the practice questions and after you're still able to do all the questions, some sort of glitch they have not fixed
Reply 4915
I make a list too and i have recently converted that into a mind map. and yes i recently felt really down about my AR so i wouldn't even have a technique i would just stare at the sets lol but ive started looking at simple boxes and its really helped so im gonna carry on :smile: fingers crossed i would love 700 for AR, maybe 900 is asking for a bit much but i watched this guy on youtube who literally got 900 in his AR like how?????

My advice would be to also try to not focus too much on documenting patterns you will automatically begin to remember those reoccurring patterns/obscure ones that come up with practice.

I started documenting them vigorously for a while and made a big mind map, but I realised I was perhaps doing this simply to make it feel like I was doing something when revising.

However, if you have a while to go till test day then keep doing what you're doing if you feel personally it will be a good help. If your test is within the next two weeks I'd probably say to use all time just practicing questions (highly recommend Medify if you're not already using it).

I scored 860 on AR and it was quite a surprise, but I suppose I had practiced so much that the patterns I thought I was taking a bad guess at were being almost subconsciously observed and had been noticed only through experience. Everyone learns differently and if you feel like a mind map of everything is a good idea, do it, but if you're running out of time, avoid it, forget human life outside of your computer screen exists, and practice like your life depends on it.

I know that sounds like hell, but, it's temporary hell I guess.

Hope this helps anyone who's currently practicing for UKCAT!
Reply 4916
Original post by karimsabry953
Hi guys I am international student (gap year) applying this year to med schools in the uk. I did IB and i got a great score (40 points) which really opens a lot of med school choices for me in the uk however, I have been practising the ukcat for about a month and i started doing practice mocks today from the ukcat website, i used kaplan and modify as my main resources and they had helped me a lot in my preparation for the ukcat nevertheless i have been getting low scores on the official mock exams, especially on ar and qr which are my best of modify and kaplan, so is the ukcat mock a good represntative of the real thing? cause its just horrible for me

I used Kaplan and the practice exams on the UKCAT website only. Fellow Canadian. Good luck. I scored 2270. Congrats on the ib points

SAME! He makes me jealous so I try not to think about it haha

@Jeff458 you complete the practice questions and after you're still able to do all the questions, some sort of glitch they have not fixed

OMG! DOES THIS HAPPEN IN THE EXAM! I HAVE FOUND THIS TO BE THE CASE ON MEDIFY ALREADY!
Reply 4918
SAME! He makes me jealous so I try not to think about it haha

OMG! DOES THIS HAPPEN IN THE EXAM! I HAVE FOUND THIS TO BE THE CASE ON MEDIFY ALREADY!

Sorry, wait, what actually is the glitch you're saying exists?
Original post by BFCBP
My advice would be to also try to not focus too much on documenting patterns you will automatically begin to remember those reoccurring patterns/obscure ones that come up with practice.

I started documenting them vigorously for a while and made a big mind map, but I realised I was perhaps doing this simply to make it feel like I was doing something when revising.

However, if you have a while to go till test day then keep doing what you're doing if you feel personally it will be a good help. If your test is within the next two weeks I'd probably say to use all time just practicing questions (highly recommend Medify if you're not already using it).

I scored 860 on AR and it was quite a surprise, but I suppose I had practiced so much that the patterns I thought I was taking a bad guess at were being almost subconsciously observed and had been noticed only through experience. Everyone learns differently and if you feel like a mind map of everything is a good idea, do it, but if you're running out of time, avoid it, forget human life outside of your computer screen exists, and practice like your life depends on it.

I know that sounds like hell, but, it's temporary hell I guess.

Hope this helps anyone who's currently practicing for UKCAT!

Aw well done :smile: and yeah my exam is next Thursday but I've been practicing for like 3-4 weeks now and I'm still practicing loads but for me writing Patterns out is the only way to remember them :smile: haha I'm trying to do that but it's so horrible especially on top of college 😂 if only I had common sense and took it in summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending