The Student Room Group

Wanting a job alongside doing A levels

so a few people i know say they work partime in clothing stores, mcdonalds, supermarkets etc to earn a bit of money whilst also doing A levels, and for the longest time ever I also wanted to work.

now i know A levels are much more harder and time consuming than GCSE's so do you recommend working? and if you do how many hours should I work per week to also keep up with getting good grades?
Around 8 to 12 hours is ideal alongside a levels, having a part time job is good as you're gaining experience and looks good on your cv and personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Around 8 to 12 hours is ideal alongside a levels, having a part time job is good as you're gaining experience and looks good on your cv and personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Yes it's easy around A levels.Though it depends how much work you require personally to do well.
I did 12h a week, but often more overtime (upto around 25h at Xmas time). Just avoid very early (I did 6-3 on Saturday), as that was exhausting.
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
Yes it's easy around A levels.Though it depends how much work you require personally to do well.
I did 12h a week, but often more overtime (upto around 25h at Xmas time). Just avoid very early (I did 6-3 on Saturday), as that was exhausting.

okay cool! just a question tho, a friend of mine said when he worked he didnt get paid for 2 or 3 months, did that happen to you? or does it depend on where you work?
Reply 5
Original post by melisss22
okay cool! just a question tho, a friend of mine said when he worked he didnt get paid for 2 or 3 months, did that happen to you? or does it depend on where you work?

... No, I don't know why that would happen, it shouldn't.
At most, if you join late in the month you won't be paid till next month - but any longer I'd suppose it's a dodgy company. I worked for Waitrose btw so a big company.
Reply 6
Original post by Inazuma
... No, I don't know why that would happen, it shouldn't.
At most, if you join late in the month you won't be paid till next month - but any longer I'd suppose it's a dodgy company. I worked for Waitrose btw so a big company.

hmm thats a bit weird then considering he worked for specsavers i think, but thank you for telling me!
Reply 7
Original post by melisss22
hmm thats a bit weird then considering he worked for specsavers i think, but thank you for telling me!

Oh that is peculiar... I'd treat that as an isolated case!
Original post by fxlloutboyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
How many hours you work is up to you, it depends on how many you think you can cope with.
Are you taking three or four a levels? 5 hours a week on top of lessons for each subject is suggested to study, so you may be able to do a couple of more hours if you're doing three a levels rather than four.

For example, presuming you have 5 hours timetabled lesson time per week:

3 A Levels - 15 hours contact time, 15 hours revision = 30 hours - easy to within 9am til 5pm weekdays
4 A levels - 20 hours contact time, plus 20 hours revision = 40 hours

Study during most of your free periods to make most of the 9 til 5 weekday. Work on evenings and weekends, doing waitressing for example (needed outside of school hours ).

Only do what you can manage, still enjoy extra Curriculars and have chill out time.

Alternatively, do temporary work in holidays such as a Christmas Temp in retail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending