The Student Room Group

Help choosing a 5th university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Don Joiner
You think that I will get four offers from LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost certainly. Well LSE might be less certain but Warwick and Bristol definitely. UCL pretty likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Thanks! 😁 that makes me so relieved for some reason I've been so stressed about getting offers ahah,

What are you basing your predictions on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your predicted grades. I'm assuming everything else in your application is equally strong.

And the average offer rates at those universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23
(edited 7 years ago)
I have 10A*s at GCSE, AAA at AS in Maths Geography French (Economics is linear now)
Maths UMS scores were C1 100 C2 90 C3 92 M1 96u

I thought that might help give you more information if you wanted it (probably not lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as your personal statement is strong, you've basically got Warwick, Bristol and UCL in the bag.
I'm applying for Economics at

-LSE A*AA
-UCL A*AA
-Warwick A*AA
-Bristol A*AA
-?????

Ideally I need a fifth option that requires only AAA but that is still 'up there' with the rest

Any thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Replace bristol with nottingham - also a*aa
then apply to econ&manag at bristol which is AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Replace bristol with nottingham - also a*aa
then apply to econ&manag at bristol which is AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't I apply for two courses at Bristol? So Economics and also Econ+Management

Posted from TSR Mobile
take a look at nottingham
Couldn't I apply for two courses at Bristol? So Economics and also Econ+Management

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you considered Surrey - AAA? It's a solid choice for economics
Reply 29
I have 10A*s at GCSE, AAA at AS in Maths Geography French (Economics is linear now)
Maths UMS scores were C1 100 C2 90 C3 92 M1 96

I thought that might help give you more information if you wanted it (probably not lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't change my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Cambridge very very rarely set a STEP requirement for Economics. And it would be a 1 in STEP I. You are thinking of Maths.

OP should apply to Oxford. It's just one spot on the form.

They will get 4 other offers with an A*A*A* prediction, so an Oxbridge choice is not really that high risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm sorry! I've been told by some people that a STEP offer will be made for Economics! And I could've sworn I saw on the Economics side that STEP 1 and STEP 2 will be needed only if you went up to AS further maths!

I was telling them to apply to lower offer uni's just so if they miss their firm they'll still have their insurance and even if they missed their firm by a grade they'll be likely to be accepted onto their insurance.
No point firming and insuring two uni's with the exact same grade requirements because they can miss their offer which means they missed their offer for both the firm and insurance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Oh I'm sorry! I've been told by some people that a STEP offer will be made for Economics! And I could've sworn I saw on the Economics side that STEP 1 and STEP 2 will be needed only if you went up to AS further maths!

Typical offers require
A Level: A*A*A
IB: 40-41 points, with 776 at Higher Level

Course requirements
Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics
Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, STEP Mathematics*

* and that's rare. :wink:
Reply 33
How likely am I to get an offer from UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samendrag
I dont think its wise to have a lot of uni's with the same entry requirement. Have 3 which are A*AA then have 2 which are AAA-AAB.

For example:
LSE - A*AA
UCL - A*AA
Bristol - A*AA
Oxford - AAA
York- AAB

Oxford is lower than UCL and Bristol? That's weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
How likely am I to get an offer from UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better than 50:50

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd put Exeter as 5th - good reputation for Economics.

Don't feel pressured to go for Oxbridge- just because you have the grade predictions it does not mean it will suit you.
Reply 37
Original post by Muttley79
I'd put Exeter as 5th - good reputation for Economics.

Don't feel pressured to go for Oxbridge- just because you have the grade predictions it does not mean it will suit you.

Fair point. Although experiencing an Oxbridge interview day would also help the OP make that decision. It's one thing to apply, another to get an offer, and then the ultimate decision to accept the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But there is also no point in putting down 4 choices of A*aa he might aswell try oxbridge
Reply 39
Original post by samendrag
But there is also no point in putting down 4 choices of A*aa he might aswell try oxbridge

The OP has A*A*A* prediction but is overly worried he's not going to get many offers, rather than his ability to make the offers. Hence putting lots of universities with A*AA requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest