The Student Room Group

A* in English as a second language?

Hello!
I've been struggling with my IGCSE English as a second language for over a year.
I resat it thrice, I got A's in the first two sessions, and just when I thought I was finally doing better (I was only 2 marks away from an A* on my second try), I got a B on the third try. (So no, third time isn't the charm! It's actually the total opposite of that).
Anyway, you're probably wondering why I'm not okay with my A. Well, getting an A* well increase the chances of me getting into the college I want (a lot, actually).
I tried everything. I tried learning a specific format (twice): it got me an A.
I tried relaxing, and writing whatever pops into my head in the exam: got me a B.
Also, I'm pretty upset about the whole lot of money I've been spending on this subject. I spent money on all sort of stuff, ranging from resits and remarks to expensive private tuition (online and live).
So, my question is: What do I do to end this living hell, and to get what I've been working my butt off on for ages now?
Should my writing style sound natural, or do I just memorize intros and endings (Which would be a lot easier for me).
Also, I took CIE board in the three times, so will it be wiser for me to take Edexcel for a change?
If you're good in English generally, do you have any suggestions on how to get better.
I do have this thing where I'm always hesitant about all the phrases and sentences ,in general, that I use, and so, how do I cure that?
HELP!
Thanks in advance!
Original post by nohaha
Hello!
I've been struggling with my IGCSE English as a second language for over a year.
I resat it thrice, I got A's in the first two sessions, and just when I thought I was finally doing better (I was only 2 marks away from an A* on my second try), I got a B on the third try. (So no, third time isn't the charm! It's actually the total opposite of that).
Anyway, you're probably wondering why I'm not okay with my A. Well, getting an A* well increase the chances of me getting into the college I want (a lot, actually).
I tried relaxing, and writing whatever pops into my head in the exam: got me a B.
Also, I'm pretty upset about the whole lot of money I've been spending on this subject. I spent money on all sort of stuff, ranging from resits and remarks to expensive private tuition (online and live).
So, my question is: What do I do to end this living hell, and to get what I've been working my butt off on for ages now?
Should my writing style sound natural, or do I just memorize intros and endings (Which would be a lot easier for me).
Also, I took CIE board in the three times, so will it be wiser for me to take Edexcel for a change?
If you're good in English generally, do you have any suggestions on how to get better.
I do have this thing where I'm always hesitant about all the phrases and sentences ,in general, that I use, and so, how do I cure that?
HELP!
Thanks in advance!

So skimming over your post, you either got a B or an A.....

The simple solution to your problem would be to find an alternative college... I think you should save your money as those grades already are great!

If you don't need an A* to get into the majority of colleges you wish; and an A or a B is perfectly acceptable to most of the colleges in your surrounding area, then why push for more when you're wasting a lot of money?

It also wouldn't make a difference to have an A/B in CIE and then an A* in the Edexcel exam board. You might as well study a foreign language instead!

I say, just let it be and move on from your iGCSE and start further education.
Original post by nohaha
Hello!
HELP!
Thanks in advance!

Switch to a different board, CIE is infamous for making papers extremely difficult, marking them harshly, and then putting up high grade boundaries - perhaps go to AQA. Look at previous mark schemes to see what they want, and work on that basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by gmahapatra
Switch to a different board, CIE is infamous for making papers extremely difficult, marking them harshly, and then putting up high grade boundaries - perhaps go to AQA. Look at previous mark schemes to see what they want, and work on that basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably do that! I'll take the Edexcel board (AQA isn't available in my country)
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
So skimming over your post, you either got a B or an A.....

The simple solution to your problem would be to find an alternative college... I think you should save your money as those grades already are great!

If you don't need an A* to get into the majority of colleges you wish; and an A or a B is perfectly acceptable to most of the colleges in your surrounding area, then why push for more when you're wasting a lot of money?

It also wouldn't make a difference to have an A/B in CIE and then an A* in the Edexcel exam board. You might as well study a foreign language instead!

I say, just let it be and move on from your iGCSE and start further education.

Thanks for the reply!☺️
I wish things were that easy :frown: It's not like I have a lot of college options to choose from!
I'm stuck with one college, that requires me to get a certain score.
Reply 5
Original post by nohaha
Hello!
HELP!
Thanks in advance!

Firstly, how did you get to do the exam 3 times? Isnt it once per year? Are you in A-level?

Secondly, I personally did the same exam for the Cambridge board. I think it was OCR, but not sure. What I want to let you know is that if you are doing it for University, its almost useless since its the 'Second Language'. So A is not much different to A* for them.
Reply 6
Original post by Fbiemad
Firstly, how did you get to do the exam 3 times? Isnt it once per year? Are you in A-level?

Secondly, I personally did the same exam for the Cambridge board. I think it was OCR, but not sure. What I want to let you know is that if you are doing it for University, its almost useless since its the 'Second Language'. So A is not much different to A* for them.

Yes! i am doing my A-levels. In Egypt, an A* would increase my overall percentage (yes, it's stupid, but grades here are converted to percentages) by 0.6% totally worth the hard work!!
Reply 7
Original post by nohaha
Yes! i am doing my A-levels. In Egypt, an A* would increase my overall percentage (yes, it's stupid, but grades here are converted to percentages) by 0.6% totally worth the hard work!!

Are you going to use them to apply to Universities?
If you are applying to UK Universities and you are worried about this, then dont be since it wont help your application much.

But if you are applying for something in Egypt, then I dont know, sorry.

Good luck anyways. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending