Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi Guys,

I would appreciate some input.
My stats are:
GCSE: 9A* 2A
AS: ABBBB
Predicted A Levels: AAA (BIO, CHEM, Maths)
UKCAT: 660 Band1
PS: Good Work Experience, volunteering etc
Is my UKCAT too low?
Reply 101
Hi guys

I'm a gap year applicant reapplying for med this year, and am considering kings this time. I'm not sure whether my GCSE grades are good enough as i know they like applicants with amazing grades. These are my stats...

GCSE: 1A*, 7A's
AS: AAAA
A Level: A*AA
UKCAT: 763.3 avg, 2290 total- SJT band 1

I know my ukcat is quite good but i'm not sure whether it's worth applying given my gcse grades. Does anybody know how they score grades and UKCAT?

If anyone could give me any advise please that would be much appreciated - current students or applicants :smile: thanks!
So Kings are quite vague on their website. Can someone give me a better understanding of how they shortlist for interview. Thank you 😁
Original post by Fleuves
Hey y'all would appreciate some help.

I exceed the standard offer for King's with the equivalent of A*AA,

Plenty of extracurriculars and work experience/volunteering/shadowing, feel like my PS is good.
However, my GCSE profile is 2A* 7A 1B and a Distinction in a GNVQ (equivalent to 2A* 2A, I don't know if they'll count it as GCSE grades though), and my UKCAT isn't exceptional - average 636 band 1.

Only applying for one London uni so do you think I stand a better chance with King's or St. George's?

TIA*

Unfortunately Kings look at the GCSE/UKCAT combo and yours lies at the lower end of the spectrum for both. I'd say St George's but if look at the UKCAT cut-off as that can swing around yearly.
Original post by AZ98
Hi guys

I'm a gap year applicant reapplying for med this year, and am considering kings this time. I'm not sure whether my GCSE grades are good enough as i know they like applicants with amazing grades. These are my stats...

GCSE: 1A*, 7A's
AS: AAAA
A Level: A*AA
UKCAT: 763.3 avg, 2290 total- SJT band 1

I know my ukcat is quite good but i'm not sure whether it's worth applying given my gcse grades. Does anybody know how they score grades and UKCAT?

If anyone could give me any advise please that would be much appreciated - current students or applicants :smile: thanks!

You've got a very strong UKCAT which will off set the slightly lower GCSE grades. I'd say go for it definitely.
Original post by studentsixth
Unfortunately Kings look at the GCSE/UKCAT combo and yours lies at the lower end of the spectrum for both. I'd say St George's but if look at the UKCAT cut-off as that can swing around yearly.

Thank you for your view :-) they don't go into any detail on their website about how they look at GCSEs, where are people getting the information from? Or am I blind ha ha **
Original post by Fleuves
Thank you for your view :-) they don't go into any detail on their website about how they look at GCSEs, where are people getting the information from? Or am I blind ha ha **

E-mail them for their FAQ sheet. There is an older not up-to-date version on their site but it doesn't really give you a lot so you'll need their new one for this year. They state that they look at the number of A*s at GCSE and the UKCAT and a high UKCAT can offset low GCSEs and vice versa. They look at the PS and reference but not to the extent of these two factors. Ideally you should be in the 70th percentile for the UKCAT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,
I'm really conflicted as to whether to apply to King's. I would really love to apply but I'm not sure if my UKCAT is good enough.
Ukcat score: 690 average (7th decile according to interrim scores)
SJT: Band 1
GCSEs 9A* 1A
AS 4As
Is it likely that I will be rejected given my UKCAT score?
Original post by ShenelW
Hi,
I'm really conflicted as to whether to apply to King's. I would really love to apply but I'm not sure if my UKCAT is good enough.
Ukcat score: 690 average (7th decile according to interrim scores)
SJT: Band 1
GCSEs 9A* 1A
AS 4As
Is it likely that I will be rejected given my UKCAT score?

Doesn't look like it with your GCSE profile :-) **
Reply 109
Does anyone know whether they value the total ukcat score or each individual score?
I made it into the top 20% so far with 2110 (703 average) but the sections were as follows;
VR:530 QR:850 AR:730
No idea what happened with VR, it was one of my best sections in practice but I think the pressure got to me in the real thing and I ended up guessing a lot of answers without really realising it.
Reply 110
Does anyone know if Kings are looking at AS grades this year?

Predicted: a*aa
AS grades: AABB
GCSE: 10 A* 1A
UKCAT: 650 average band 1 SJT

is it too risky to apply? I was considering Brighton and Sussex instead but didn't like it as much as Kings
Original post by ASTK98
As far as my knowledge takes me, no. Most people who get into Med school have undertaken a few weeks of work experience in a health care setting like a hospital or GP surgery. There's no need to pay that amount of money + I don't think it puts you at a massive advantage tbh - because they're looking for what you learnt from the experience mainly, not where the experience was or how much it cost etc. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help its been really useful.
By the way the course for the foundation programme is not present on the UCAS course finder section so what does that mean? I'm really worried now. What do I do?
Original post by ah639
I've got an unconditional offer for the graduate-entry course, so I don't think my stats would be indicatively useful for you!

But KCL tend to have a high cutoff year on year for the A100 course, so aim for 700+ in the UKCAT :smile:

700+ don't meant **** without a band 1 in sjt
Hi I'm thinking about applying for medicine at King's. My school has not done AS levels, and I currently study three A levels. I was wondering if this would put my application at a disadvantage? Also, would a UKCAT score 723 and SJT band 2 be strong enough? Thanks
Reply 114
Original post by studentsixth
You've got a very strong UKCAT which will off set the slightly lower GCSE grades. I'd say go for it definitely.

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna research a bit more about the course structure and other entry requirements, but I definitely have kings near the top of my list. Just really don't want to be wasting an application this time :s-smilie:
Original post by keenlimabean
Hi I'm thinking about applying for medicine at King's. My school has not done AS levels, and I currently study three A levels. I was wondering if this would put my application at a disadvantage? Also, would a UKCAT score 723 and SJT band 2 be strong enough? Thanks

No it wouldn't. They said they will not be looking for AS grades if you don't have any.
Original post by j4mil417
Thanks for the help its been really useful.
By the way the course for the foundation programme is not present on the UCAS course finder section so what does that mean? I'm really worried now. What do I do?

Isn't this it? http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/728949/extended-medical-degree-programme-6-years?Vac=1&AvailableIn=2017&Query=medicine&ProviderQuery=King%27s%20College%20London%20%28University%20of%20London%29%2C%20&AcpId=1243&IsFeatherProcessed=True&page=1&providerids=1243&ret=results
Reply 117
Hi Guys! Ive always really wanted to go to a London Uni and it seems KCL is my only hope but I'm still worried I'm not competitive enough because of my average A2 predictions and my UKCAT.
GCSEs:
9A* and 1 A (History)
AS:
none, my school doesn't offer any
Predicted A2:
AAA
UKCAT
2110 = 703 Average
VR-790
QR-680
AR-640
SJT-Band 1

Would I be a competitive applicant? Im worried about my average A2 predictions
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm unsure as to whether I wold make a competitive application, mainly based on my GCSE's.
I got 6A*s 4As
4As 1B at AS
A*AA A2 predictions
713 in UKCAT

Would I have good chance for an interview or is it unlikely? Cheers
Original post by HopelessMedic
I'm unsure as to whether I wold make a competitive application, mainly based on my GCSE's.
I got 6A*s 4As
4As 1B at AS
A*AA A2 predictions
713 in UKCAT

Would I have good chance for an interview or is it unlikely? Cheers

What makes you think an application with an academic profile like that wouldn't put you in a good position to get an interview? Plus it's more than just academia anyway, you need a solid personal statement and reference. Your academic side of the application is good though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending