The Student Room Group

Is a level art fun?

Hi I've just started year 12 and Im currently doing maths physics chemistry and further maths. However I also really love art and really want to carry on doing it. I have spoke to my teacher and I may start doing it as a distanced learning course because i cant match my timetable to the art lessons.

All I wanted to know s whether art is still fun to do as an a level or is there loads of deadlines.

Thanks!!!
the exam is 10hours long
Reply 2
Please Please Please don't do A Level Art if you're doing such high-demand subjects like maths, physics and Chemistry, it'll be the death of you! Art is very very time consuming from what I hear.
Reply 3
I don't personally do the art A level but many of my friends do and my best friend hates every minute of it. There are lots of deadlines and everything is either 'right or wrong' which I don't believe should even be Incorporated into art. I haven't yet found someone who says they love the art A Level so maybe the A Level isn't the best way to continue your interest. But I don't know, this is just the opinions from one college!
Don't do it. I did Art, Bio, Chem and Geography and it made my life SO stressful. Imagine having to do 6 paintings over half term while revising for 3 mocks when you get back. Just don't. And also, AQA have screwed everyone's grade over. I put in so much effort only to get a B (and this was the only subject I got a B in, so it shows that I wasn't slacking or anything), and this happened with pretty much every school. The amount of effort i put into art could have easily gotten me As in 2 extra AS subjects, so I regret taking it.
(edited 7 years ago)
No. You will have absolutely no time. It shouldn't even be an a level because of how time engulfing it is.
Reply 6
Original post by typicalvirgo
Don't do it. I did Art, Bio, Chem and Geography and it made my life SO stressful. Imagine having to do 6 paintings over half term while revising for 3 mocks when you get back. Just don't. And also, AQA have screwed everyone's grade over. I put in so much effort only to get a B, and this happened with pretty much every school. The amount of effort i put into art could have easily gotten me As in 2 extra AS subjects, so I regret taking it.

^ This is exactly what my friends that took A Level art said. It's just not worth it apparently. :smile:
Original post by AshEntropy

^ This is exactly what my friends that took A Level art said. It's just not worth it apparently. :smile:

It really isn't. My work has been described as degree level, but I still got a stupid B. And remarks will cost me £70 MINIMUM because it has to be a class remark. In total, it's £460 for everyone. Yeah I'm still salty.
Reply 8
Original post by typicalvirgo
It really isn't. My work has been described as degree level, but I still got a stupid B. And remarks will cost me £70 MINIMUM because it has to be a class remark. In total, it's £460 for everyone. Yeah I'm still salty.

I don't blame you for being salty, a lot of my friends are too about it. I would be too haha
I think that subjects like Art shouldn't have an A Level just because of how unfair the marking system is
Reply 9
I did art French and Geography and I spent most of my life on art ! DO NOT TAKE ART AS WELL AS SO MANY SUBJECTS UNLESS YOU ARE MADLY INTELLIGENT.

I got AA*B (A* in art) and I worked my a** off for that grade in art throughout both years of A level. And that was with subjects that weren't as time consuming as yours. And only 3 subjects. Definitely don't do it as a home course either. You need constant criticism. (And the mum doesn't count)
Original post by EmmaL.AM
I don't personally do the art A level but many of my friends do and my best friend hates every minute of it. There are lots of deadlines and everything is either 'right or wrong' which I don't believe should even be Incorporated into art. I haven't yet found someone who says they love the art A Level so maybe the A Level isn't the best way to continue your interest. But I don't know, this is just the opinions from one college!

Thanks, thats actually really true, i think art can be whatever you want it to be!! right and wrong answers are for boring subjects like the ones im doing :smile: :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Questions4367
the exam is 10hours long

The exam is 5 hours at AS and 15 hours long at A2
Someone I know who did A Level Art said the workload was brutal.
Reply 13
Well put it this way:

I have an art project due monday that I haven't done nearly enough work for. I had to cancel going to a party to stay in and do work. I also have welsh bacc, english and RE work to hand in that I haven't even started because all my time's been taken up with art.

I. Hate. It.
Reply 14
Would it be hard to do art, business and english language togethet?

Quick Reply

Latest