The Student Room Group

quadratic equation question

question:
if a>0 a > 0 , prove that the quadratic expression ax2+bx+c ax^2 + bx + c is positive for all real values of x when b2<4ac b^2 < 4ac .

my answer:
let f(x)=ax2+bx+c f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
=a[x2+bax+ca] = a\left [ x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a} \right ]

=a(x+b2a)2+4acb24a =a\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 + \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}
if f(x) >0 for all real values of x, it has no real roots

b24ac\therefore b^2 - 4ac wil produce a negative number let call it -g = d

gC \therefore \sqrt{ -g} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}
since b24ac=g b^2 - 4ac = -g

g<0b24ac<0 \therefore - g < 0 \rightarrow b^2 - 4ac < 0 then b2<4ac b^2 < 4ac
\therefore when
b2<4ac b^2 < 4ac , f(x) > 0 for all real values of x

Please I want to know if my proof correctly answers the question please tell where i went wrong
thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
[QUOTE="bigmansouf;67631822"]question:
if a>0 a > 0 , prove that the quadratic expression ax2+bx+c ax^2 + bx + c is positive for all real values of x when b2<4ac b^2 < 4ac .

my answer:

if f(x) >0 for all real values of x, it has no real roots

b24ac\therefore b^2 - 4ac wil produce a negative number let call it -g = d

gC \therefore \sqrt{ -g} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}
since b24ac=g b^2 - 4ac = -g

g<0b24ac<0 \therefore - g < 0 \rightarrow b^2 - 4ac < 0 then b2<4ac b^2 < 4ac
Unparseable latex formula:

\therefore [\tex] when [tex] b^2 < 4ac [/tex] f(x) > 0 for all real values of x [br][br][br][br]Please I want to know if my proof correctly answers the question please tell where i went wrong [br]thank you

Firstly, you should have more working when you complete the square.

You are asked to prove that if b2<4acb^2<4ac then f(x)>0f(x) >0. What you have attempted to do instead is prove that if f(x)>0f(x) >0 then b2<4acb^2<4ac and then use this to prove f(x)>0f(x) >0.

But you don't need the first part since you're told already that b2<4acb^2<4ac. The major problem is that knowhere in your working have you actually proved why b2<4acb^2<4ac implies that f(x)>0f(x)>0.

You could talk about the discriminant/no real roots to show this but I assume from your working that you need to prove it by completing the square? You correctly completed the squre but didn't use it for anything.

Think about why this

=a(x+b2a)2+4acb24a\displaystyle =a\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 + \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}

must always be positive.

One more thing:

gC\sqrt{ -g} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}

This doesn't mean much. I assume you're trying to say that g\sqrt{ -g} is a complex number but the set of complex numbers includes the reals and the imaginary numbers. What you mean to say is that g\sqrt{ -g} is imaginary. There is a mathematical way to write this but you may as well just write it in words and I recommend this unless you're confident with using the formal notation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
Firstly, you should have more working when you complete the square.

You are asked to prove that if b2<4acb^2<4ac then f(x)>0f(x) >0. What you have attempted to do instead is prove that if f(x)>0f(x) >0 then b2<4acb^2<4ac and then use this to prove f(x)>0f(x) >0.

But you don't need the first part since you're told already that b2<4acb^2<4ac. The major problem is that knowhere in your working have you actually proved why b2<4acb^2<4ac implies that f(x)>0f(x)>0.

You could talk about the discriminant/no real roots to show this but I assume from your working that you need to prove it by completing the square? You correctly completed the squre but didn't use it for anything.

Think about why this

=a(x+b2a)2+4acb24a\displaystyle =a\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 + \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}

must always be positive.

One more thing:

gC\sqrt{ -g} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}

This doesn't mean much. I assume you're trying to say that g\sqrt{ -g} is a complex number but the set of complex numbers includes the reals and the imaginary numbers. What you mean to say is that g\sqrt{ -g} is imaginary. There is a mathematical way to write this but you may as well just write it in words and I recommend this unless you're confident with using the formal notation.

thank you very much for helping me
here goes my second attempt

=a[x2+ba+ca]= a\left [ x^2 +\frac{b}{a} +\frac{c}{a}\right ]
=a[(x+b2a)2+ca(b2a)2]= a\left [\left ( x+ \frac{b}{2a} \right )^2 + \frac{c}{a} - \left ( \frac{b}{2a} \right )^2\right ]

since b2<4ac b^2 < 4ac \rightarrow b24ac<0 b^2-4ac<0
since a>0 a> 0 , f(x)>0 f(x) >0 has a least value of 4acb24a \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a} when x=b2a x = - \frac{b}{2a}

sinceb2<4ac4acb24a={f(x)ϵR:f(x)>0} b^2 < 4ac \rightarrow \frac{4ac- b^2}{4a} = \left \{ f(x) \epsilon \mathbb{R} : f(x) > 0 \right \}
if 4acb24a \frac{4ac- b^2}{4a} is the least values, taking the input values of x that are symmetrical about x=b2a x = - \frac{b}{2a} i.e x=b2a±k x = - \frac{b}{2a}\pm k gives f(b2a+k)=f(b2ak)=ak2+4acb24a f\left ( - \frac{b}{2a} +k \right ) = f\left ( - \frac{b}{2a} -k \right ) = ak^2 + \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}

since the least value 4acb24a>0 \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a} > 0
\therefore any inputs of x that are symmetrical will also give output of the same f(x) f(x) where {f(x)ϵR:f(x)>0f(x)>4acb24a} \left \{ f(x)\epsilon \mathbb{R}: f(x)> 0\cup f(x) > \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a} \right \}

( f(x) for points symmetrical about x = -b/2a will be > 0 and > (4ac-b^2) / (4a)
explaining incase you dont understand

\therefore when b2<4ac b^2<4ac , f(x)>0 f(x) > 0

Please i understand you said to stick to using words i want to do better and writing mathematical notation was advised by my teacher . if i am wrong with the notation please show me the correct way. I know that the last point which i was saying ( f(x) for points symmetrical about x = -b/2a will be > 0 and > (4ac-b^2) / (4a)
I want to improve my mathematical notation as i am very slow in writing

thank you
Reply 3
Original post by bigmansouf

I'm going to try explaining this to you because I don't feel like subtle hints are working very welly. (sorry for butting in, notnek!)

You're over complicating it. From

\displaystlye f(x) = a \underbrace{\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2}_{\geq 0} + \displaystyle \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}

you know that

(i) the squared part is always greater than or equal to 0, because that's a basic property of a square.

(ii) you're multiplying the square by aa, which you know is >0>0. So a(x+b2a)20a\left( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 \geq 0 .

Now, it would be really nice if we could prove that 4acb24a\frac{4ac - b^2}{4a} was positive, in which case, we would know that f(x)f(x) was a sum of two positive terms and hence would be positive itself.

But, how to do that... well, for a fraction to be positive, we want both its numerator and denominator to be positive. You can see trivially that the denominator is always positive here (because you're given thata>0 a > 0, so 4a4a must also be >0> 0).

You're reduced the entire problem to proving that the numerator is also positive. So, how can we prove that 4acb2>04ac - b^2 > 0? Oh... what a coincidence! This is precisely what we were assuming!

In writing the actual proof up, it would go something like this:

f(x)=a(x+b2a)2+4acb24af(x) = a\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 + \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}, since a>0a > 0 the first term is non-negative. Since b2<4acb^2 < 4ac we can then conclude that 4acb2>04ac - b^2 > 0 and so 4acb2a>0\frac{4ac-b^2}{a} > 0 also. So f(x)f(x) is the sum of two positive terms and is hence positive itself.

NB: When I say "two positive terms" I really mean "sum of one non-negative term and positive term", but the latter is a bit of a mouthful.... and the distinction hardly matters there anyway, I've explicitly used non-negative where the distinction does matter. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
I'm going to try explaining this to you because I don't feel like subtle hints are working very welly. (sorry for butting in, notnek!)

You're over complicating it. From

\displaystlye f(x) = a \underbrace{\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2}_{\geq 0} + \displaystyle \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}

you know that

(i) the squared part is always greater than or equal to 0, because that's a basic property of a square.

(ii) you're multiplying the square by aa, which you know is >0>0. So

\a\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 \geq 0

Now, it would be really nice if we could prove that 4acb24a\frac{4ac - b^2}{4a} was also positive, in which case, we would know that f(x)f(x) was a sum of two positive terms and hence would be positive itself.

But, how to do that... well, for a fraction to be positive, we want both its numerator and denominator to be positive. You can see trivially that the denominator is always positive here (because you're given thata>0 a > 0, so 4a4a must also be >0> 0).

You're reduced the entire problem to proving that the numerator is also positive. So, how can we prove that 4acb2>04ac - b^2 > 0? Oh... what a coincidence! This is precisely what we were assuming!

In writing the actual proof up, it would go something like this:

f(x)=a(x+b2a)2+4acb24af(x) = a\left ( x+\frac{b}{2a}\right )^2 + \frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}, since a>0a > 0 the first term is non-negative. Since b2<4acb^2 < 4ac we can then conclude that 4acb2>04ac - b^2 > 0 and so 4acb2a>0\frac{4ac-b^2}{a} > 0 also. So f(x)f(x) is the sum of two positive terms and is hence positive itself.

thank you woow i dont know what to say but thanks

can i conclude from what you said that if a quadratic function is a sum of two squares therefore f(x) > 0 is positive for all real values of x and thus will have no real roots

I am just trying to make note on this question
(edited 7 years ago)

I think you are over-complicating a quite simple and straight-forward proof. It doesn't flow nicely at all past the completed square form and your notation goes way out of hand.

Once you complete the square, you're left with f(x)=a(xb2a)2+4acb24a\displaystyle f(x)=a(x-\frac{b}{2a})^2+\frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}

From here you know that: (xb2a)20(x-\frac{b}{2a})^2 \geq 0 (ALWAYS due to squaring)

One of the conditions you are given is a>0a>0 therefore a(xb2a)20a(x-\frac{b}{2a})^2 \geq 0

The other condition is b2<4acb^2<4ac therefore 4acb24a>0\frac{4ac-b^2}{4a}>0

Summing the two terms greater than 0 will obviously give you something greater than 0 therefore f(x)>0f(x)>0

:qed:

Why are you talking about the roots???

EDIT: Nevermind, Zacken beat me to it. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
thank you woow i dont know what to say but thanks

Notnek deserves it more than I do. :smile:

can i conclude from what you said that if a quadratic function is a sum of two squares therefore f(x) > 0 is positive for all real values of x and thus will have no real roots

I am just trying to make note on this question

Indeed! (although this is not the case in this particular question) - here it's "if a function is a sum of two positive things for all real values of x, then the function is positive for all real values of x".

In another question, where you could have f(x)=(xa)2f(x) = (x-a)^2 then you can't quite say that f(x)>0f(x) > 0, the best you can say is that f(x)0f(x) \geq 0, because y20y^2 \geq 0, not y>0y > 0.

However, if you had something like f(x)=(xa)2+(xb)2f(x) = (x-a)^2 + (x-b)^2 then you can definitely say that f(x)>0f(x) > 0 and so it has no real roots, since both brackets can't be simultaneously 0 for distinct a,ba,b.

In fact, you use this technique a lot when you're asked to do stuff like "prove that f(x)=x2+2x+2f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 2 has no real roots". You do: f(x)=x2+2x+1+1=(x+1)20+1f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 1 +1 = \underbrace{(x+1)^2}_{\geq 0} + 1 so that f(x)0+1>0f(x) \geq 0 + 1 > 0 means that f(x)f(x) has no real roots.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames

Might be worth clearing up your inequalities as well, to prevent further confusion; it's y20y^2 \geq 0, not y>0y >0 . :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Notnek deserves it more than I do. :smile:

Indeed! (although this is not the case in this particular question) - here it's "if a function is a sum of two positive things for all real values of x, then the function is positive for all real values of x".

In another question, where you could have f(x)=(xa)2+(xb)2f(x) = (x-a)^2 + (x-b)^2 then you can't quite say that f(x)>0f(x) > 0, the best you can say is that f(x)0f(x) \geq 0, because y20y^2 \geq 0, not y>0y > 0.

However, if you had something like f(x)=(xa)2+(xb)2+1f(x) = (x-a)^2 + (x-b)^2 + 1 then you can definitely say that f(x)>0f(x) > 0 and so it has no real roots.

In fact, you use this technique a lot when you're asked to do stuff like "prove that f(x)=x2+2x+2f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 2 has no real roots". You do: f(x)=x2+2x+1+1=(x+1)20+1f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 1 +1 = \underbrace{(x+1)^2}_{\geq 0} + 1 so that f(x)0+1>0f(x) \geq 0 + 1 > 0 means that f(x)f(x) has no real roots.

thank i gave him a rep so did u and RDK games

i am going to work harder i feel i got played around by bostock and chandler (making easy stuff look difficult)
Reply 9
thank i gave him a rep so did u and RDK games

i am going to work harder i feel i got played around by bostock and chandler (making easy stuff look difficult)

Good man.

That's a good idea! You should probably start off with easier resources and then use B&C to supplement your learning instead of learning solely from it - some of the stuff is a bit archaic.

Quick Reply

Latest