By writing something.
Original post by Zacken
By writing something.

Well done for stating the obvious.
Reply 3
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
Well done for stating the obvious.

No problem. :h:

(that's what you get for starting a thread with such little information and no effort on your part)
Original post by Zacken
No problem. :h:

(that's what you get for starting a thread with such little information and no effort on your part)

I meant how do I go about doing one do I have to apply for one, ask my college, get chosen for it, anyone allowed to do it etc
Reply 5
I meant how do I go about doing one do I have to apply for one, ask my college, get chosen for it, anyone allowed to do it etc

There we go! That wasn't so hard, was it?

Anyone's allowed to do it, it's just like doing a subject, inquire about it with your college.
Original post by Zacken
There we go! That wasn't so hard, was it?

Anyone's allowed to do it, it's just like doing a subject, inquire about it with your college.

You dont have to be so condescending.
Is it worth the time and do Uni's value it?
Reply 7
You dont have to be so condescending.
Is it worth the time and do Uni's value it?

I know.

It's worth the time if you have a genuine interest in your topic, and you're not just doing it because you think it makes you look good.

Depends on the course you're applying for and what university you're going to - there's no definitive answer.
Reply 8
I am almost done with mine and am losing the will to live. The EPQ is great for humanities, but the format does not work nearly as well for sciences due to the need to collect primary data, which is difficult for me because I don't have access to laboratories studying gene therapy.

Hope that helps you...
Does the EPQ last for the entire year?
Reply 10
Thereabouts, yeh. You spend ages gathering sources etc. and then there's a mad rush to finish the dissertation if that's you end product. I enjoyed most of it, it's just annoying doing it on top of everything else.
Reply 11
I completed my EPQ in Year 12 (but ran over a little into Year 13) and achieved an A* - for me, it was just as valuable as some of my A Levels in applying for university. The skills you get from it are so, so different to those you get from your studies. Although, it is important to note that you aren't spoon-fed anything, so if you don't put in the effort you will fail or have to drop out.

Choose a topic that you are really interested in (I did mine on PGD and genetic engineering of embryos despite going to uni to do Law), because you can always make it relevant to your application. Even if you can't make any links subject-wise, unis tend to love that you can study independently and do so successfully.

I really enjoyed doing mine and saw it as a nice breather from my actual school work - plus, if you really put in the effort, you will be so proud of the end product! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest