The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gmahapatra
Very good! How were your grades bro? Are you considering applying to LSE or are you headed there?
So yeah, we do a level and as maths first year and then a level and as further maths second year :smile: and most students have done AS physics and econ, which are now standalone qualifications that don't contribute to A2 at all - so they can stand on them for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok thanks. I had an offer for BSc Economics for this year's course, but I missed the requirement by 1 mark or 0.5%, so they told me to reapply this year. I think I just wasn't meant to go to University this year, very weird things happened to be honest.

Thankfully, my grades were good, it was just 1 module which brought down the average massively in Economics, which makes it fairly easy to improve and even exceed the offer. I think it was a big marking error in that 1 paper but there was nothing I could do (remark did go up slightly, but not enough). We were doing Economics on WJEC, but after this mistake happened, my college changed the exam board for the current A-Level students :biggrin:.

Hopefully it happened for my own good :smile:, still aiming for LSE though, it was and is my first choice University.

By the way, do you or anyone know someone who got an offer two years in a row? (for any LSE course) I want to see how often it happens. I only know of 1 or 2 people who did it and they were both successful again. Hopefully same for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Fbiemad
Oh ok thanks. I had an offer for BSc Economics for this year's course, but I missed the requirement by 1 mark or 0.5%, so they told me to reapply this year. I think I just wasn't meant to go to University this year, very weird things happened to be honest.

Thankfully, my grades were good, it was just 1 module which brought down the average massively in Economics, which makes it fairly easy to improve and even exceed the offer. I think it was a big marking error in that 1 paper but there was nothing I could do (remark did go up slightly, but not enough). We were doing Economics on WJEC, but after this mistake happened, my college changed the exam board for the current A-Level students :biggrin:.

Hopefully it happened for my own good :smile:, still aiming for LSE though, it was and is my first choice University.

By the way, do you or anyone know someone who got an offer two years in a row? (for any LSE course) I want to see how often it happens. I only know of 1 or 2 people who did it and they were both successful again. Hopefully same for me.

I'm really sorry to hear that buddy. But sometimes the universe conspires to certain conclusions it is for a reason :smile: and if it were mitigating circumstances that made you miss it, when you reapply you should have a really strong chance of getting in! I'm afraid I personally don't know anyone, but I only know of three people who've ever gotten into LSE anyway hahaha
What was it that makes you pick LSE as your first though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
I'm applying to LSE for BA Social Anthropology and Law, and I had 4A's 4B's at GCSE

I'm applying with an IB diploma though, with 35 predicted though they require 37

I'm also applying to Kent and SOAS for the same course.

How likely do you think they'll take me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnGreek
Cholesta's son got an offer for Law the second time round after missing it first time due to extenuating circumstances.

Yeah, that was one of the people who I knew. Thanks for telling though.
I'm really sorry to hear that buddy. But sometimes the universe conspires to certain conclusions it is for a reason :smile: and if it were mitigating circumstances that made you miss it, when you reapply you should have a really strong chance of getting in! I'm afraid I personally don't know anyone, but I only know of three people who've ever gotten into LSE anyway hahaha
What was it that makes you pick LSE as your first though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in London with my brother and sister studying in Universities in London. So I only applied to London Universities and Cambridge. So my family and I prefer that I stay in London with my brother and sister. (Also efficient in terms of costs)

Also, in 'World rankings' LSE is the best Economics University which is in the UK. I know different websites say different things.

Also, the course in LSE is BSc and the modules are more mathematical. In Cambridge its BA and I heard from a student that its half mathematical and half essay based. This is because Cambridge has compulsary courses on 'Economic History' and 'Political and Sociological Economics' which dont have maths in them. (This is a small reason though)
I feel like unless you're taking Maths Further Maths, Economics and Physics there's no point in applying for econ at LSE

it seems like EVERY offer holder did that set of A levels 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ccyhk
I'm applying to LSE for BA Social Anthropology and Law, and I had 4A's 4B's at GCSE

I'm applying with an IB diploma though, with 35 predicted though they require 37

I'm also applying to Kent and SOAS for the same course.

How likely do you think they'll take me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the competition of the course, but since you are predicted lower than what they require, you are very likely to get rejected by LSE. Small chance that if the course is not competitive or your PS stand out, they might take you, but I recommend you to apply if you have minimum what they ask for. Good luck.
Original post by Don Joiner
I feel like unless you're taking Maths Further Maths, Economics and Physics there's no point in applying for econ at LSE

it seems like EVERY offer holder did that set of A levels 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
I will give you a set of offer holder's subjects who I knew of.
Obviously everyone did Maths for sure.

- Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics/Chemistry. (Both popular)
Some people only did AS Further Maths in that combination.
A few students had language subject instead of something (dont remember).

- There was 1 guy who didnt even have further maths.

- Many internationals, so dont know about them.

Physics and Chemistry and History are good subjects to have next to Maths, Further Maths and Economics.
Original post by Fbiemad
No.
I will give you a set of offer holder's subjects who I knew of.
Obviously everyone did Maths for sure.

- Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics/Chemistry. (Both popular)
Some people only did AS Further Maths in that combination.
A few students had language subject instead of something (dont remember).

- There was 1 guy who didnt even have further maths.

- Many internationals, so dont know about them.

Physics and Chemistry and History are good subjects to have next to Maths, Further Maths and Economics.

So do you think I have a chance even though I'm only doing AS further maths?

I have strong module scores in maths so I'm hoping that will help

Posted from TSR Mobile
So do you think I have a chance even though I'm only doing AS further maths?

I have strong module scores in maths so I'm hoping that will help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you have a chance. What subjects and grades do you have?
(If you dont want to share here, you can PM me and I "might" be able to help you out)

But for this course, grades alone dont do it. LSE doesnt interview students, so the thing they can use the most to differentiate students is the PS, so thats very important. Once again, a very strong PS can make up for slightly lower grades (basing it on very few offer holders I knew of from last year).
Original post by Fbiemad
Yes you have a chance. What subjects and grades do you have?
(If you dont want to share here, you can PM me and I "might" be able to help you out)

But for this course, grades alone dont do it. LSE doesnt interview students, so the hing they can use the most to differentiate students is the PS, so thats very important. Once again, a very strong PS can make up for slightly lower grades (basing it on very few offer holders I knew of from last year).

Messaged you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hasnt came yet. Im guessing you are typing it now.
Original post by phillies21
Whats LSE like for GCSE's?

I've got 2A's at AS (one is linear), got an A* in EPQ already and am predicted A*A*A*.

However, i only have 2A* 3A's 3B's at GCSE.

Does this seem like a problem to anyone? I know my a levels are fine but I have heard that they are very strict on GCSE's?

You won't get in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure? I know my GCSE's were bad but I have got the best possible AS level/A2 predictions and A* EPQ wont this make up for it?

What course are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fbiemad
I live in London with my brother and sister studying in Universities in London. So I only applied to London Universities and Cambridge. So my family and I prefer that I stay in London with my brother and sister. (Also efficient in terms of costs)

Also, in 'World rankings' LSE is the best Economics University which is in the UK. I know different websites say different things.

Also, the course in LSE is BSc and the modules are more mathematical. In Cambridge its BA and I heard from a student that its half mathematical and half essay based. This is because Cambridge has compulsary courses on 'Economic History' and 'Political and Sociological Economics' which dont have maths in them. (This is a small reason though)

Ahh, that makes sense tbh. Which college are you applying to at Cambridge? And yes, different websites say a multitude of things - but ultimately, if it's aesthetic appeals to you - then there's no place better :smile: I think Cambridge being a BA isn't too big a problem - a Cambridge Degree is a Cambridge Degree ;P
Social anthropology (probably the least competitive course at LSE)

Mate. clearly a bit of a troll. If you're predicted such high grades, I think it's quite a lot more unlikely that you don't get in. Why social anthropology?
Which college are you applying to? ;P

Havent decided yet. You?
Original post by Fbiemad
Havent decided yet. You?

I'm beyond the point of caring, so just going to apply to Trin, hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Anyone applying for BMS or Stats and finance?
At the moment I am doing MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, PHYSICS and CHEMISTRY at A2 but i am thinking of dropping chemistry. Do you think that will hurt my chances of getting an offer from LSE for MATHS WITH ECONOMICS?

GCSE: 1 A*, 5 A, 5 B and A in FMSQ maths
AS: 4 A(maths 300ums, further maths 296 ums)
Predicted A2: 4 A*

Thanks

I also plan to do STEP 1,2,3 this year
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending