The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2017 University of Edinburgh hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IslaLJones
Higher: AAB (hopefully getting the B remarked to an A as only one mark off)
Predicted S6 Results: AB (Highers) AA (Advanced Highers)
Course: Biological Sciences
Other Unis applying to: Stirling, Aberdeen, Napier and Dundee
PS. I'm aware of how little chance I have of getting an offer however I'm applying anyway 😌

The student room makes it look impossible to get into Edinburgh because of the high grades others have but really, many people get in with lower than AAAAA. It's just what your good qualities are, if you have enthusiasm for the subject and a strong personal statement etc. Certainly don't belittle your grades they're good and competitive. You stand as good a chance as any. Also I'm applying to Stirling and Dundee too! :biggrin: ( probably, might choose Aberdeen and not Dundee, I'm not completely decided on where I'm applying. )
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Shadow Hunters
The student room makes it look impossible to get into Edinburgh because of the high grades others have but really, many people get in with lower than AAAAA. It's just what your good qualities are, if you have enthusiasm for the subject and a strong personal statement etc. Certainly don't belittle your grades they're good and competitive. You stand as good a chance as any. Also I'm applying to Stirling and Dundee too! :biggrin: ( probably, might choose Aberdeen and not Dundee, I'm not completely decided on where I'm applying. )
Aww thank you! Definitely what I needed to hear. What course are you applying for?
Aww thank you! Definitely what I needed to hear. What course are you applying for?

I'm so glad I could help you! I'm likely applying for international relations but I am also considering business management which is a class I only very recently started studying. :smile: Are you going to any open days? I still need to book mine!
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I'm so glad I could help you! I'm likely applying for international relations but I am also considering business management which is a class I only very recently started studying. :smile: Are you going to any open days? I still need to book mine!
I might be visiting all of the unis in the central belt with my school at the end of September however if not then I'll be going to all the open days in October! Will probably just go to the open days of unis I'm applying to to make sure it's worth applying etc. What about you?
I might be visiting all of the unis in the central belt with my school at the end of September however if not then I'll be going to all the open days in October! Will probably just go to the open days of unis I'm applying to to make sure it's worth applying etc. What about you?

Ah yeah most of the universities in Scotland are nearby ( ish ) to me but they may not be as easy for you! im not going with my school because the universities aren't that far. The furthest university I'm applying to is Aberdeen and I don't think I'm gonna go to an open day there. :smile: I feel like September is too soon for me and I want to work on my application then and gain work experience so I'll be there in October. :h:
Hello I have recently moved into s6 having achieved highers in English(A) history(A) Physical education(A) and geography(B) last year. I was wondering what the chances of me getting a conditional at edinburgh would be, and what I could do to further benefit myself and my application there. This year I'm currently studying AH English and history(plan to Replace history with another higher. Is this a good idea?), I'm also studying higher biology and business management and national 5 maths. Are these subjects viable for law, or would I be better taking something else toBenefit my chances/application. Thank you
Reply 46
I'm Denis and I'm form Bulgaria
Grades/Predicted Grades: I'm an international so an overall of 5.9 out of 6 is what I expect.
Course: BSc Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science
Extra Curricular: German, Krav Maga, Traditional folk dances, TV, Books, Films, Gym, Web Development, Making Subtitles.
Other Universities Applying To: Oxford, Imperial, Birmingham, Coventry(under consideration)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by denkata
I'm Denis and I'm form Bulgaria
Grades/Predicted Grades: I'm an international so an overall of 5.9 out of 6 is what I expect.
Course: BSc Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science
Extra Curricular: German, Krav Maga, Traditional folk dances, TV, Books, Films, Gym, Web Development, Making Subtitles.
Other Universities Applying To: Oxford, Imperial, Birmingham, Coventry(under consideration)

Hey, same! I'm an EU student applying for Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science as well. Are you applying for first or second year entry?
GCSE grades: 2 A*'s, 8 B's, 1 C
A Levels already achieved: A*AA
A Levels taken: Art and Design (photography), Psychology and History.
Gap Year: UAL Art Foundation (in photography)
Subject of study: History of Art
Extra-Curricular: 60hours+ volunteer work at a national trust historic house, Sussex summer school in history, college visual art trip to Barcelona (visiting the home places & museum of major artists), read many History of art books and documentaries, live near London so visited many major galleries, history of art talk at the Tate Britain, enrolled in a 30 week French language course for beginners.
Other: customer assistant at TESCO -work skills (lol).
Other places i'm applying: Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow (maybe)
I haven't visited Edinburgh yet but it's course really suits me! However, I'm a bit worried about how far away it is from where I live (in the South below London, on the coast😥), plus i'll miss my cats 😂.
Anyone got any ideas of what other extra-curriculars I can do to add to my personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LillyB14

Anyone got any ideas of what other extra-curriculars I can do to add to my personal statement?

You probably wouldn't need to add anymore, your listed extra-curriculars seem pretty great. Just make sure you expand on them and say what they did for you, etc rather than just listing them :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by trythis
Hey, same! I'm an EU student applying for Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science as well. Are you applying for first or second year entry?

First.
Original post by blue2337
Oh my god hey! This is such a great thread, I hope people start using this!! I'll add in my AS choices too if you don't mind!

GCSE Grades: 10A*s with maths, English, triple science award, history, French, Russian and Latin
Predicted AS grades: AAAA in mocks
Actual AS grades: AAAA - 88% in English Lang, 92% in History, 94.5% in Class Civ and 99% in English Lit, giving me an overall raw mark average of 93.35%
Predicted A Level grades: A*A*A probably? we haven't got them yet!
A Level choices: English Literature, English Language, History, Classical Civilisation (but I'm hopefully dropping this after AS), EPQ
Course: Linguistics!!!! If anyone's ever seen my posts, I'm pretty into the subject...
Extra curricular: Linguistics Olympiad (Silver award), won my school's essay comp, entered a Cambridge essay comp, did some writing for First News in 2014, Cambridge Linguistics masterclass, grade 6 ballet tap and modern, grade 6 speech and drama, won a whole school poetry competition, founded a couple of choirs at my new school, been in a bunch of school plays/musicals, directing a spoken word choir, learning Swedish and French on the side, plus lots of extra reading too!!
Other universities applying to: Cambridge, UCL, York, Newcastle/Manchester

I'd love to go to Edinburgh, did you go to the open day? I loved it at the open day, more than any other uni so far!

SAME!!!!
GCSES: A* in maths only (international applicant haha)
Predicted grades: A*AAA(Business,History,Maths,Chinese)
Actual grades: Maths A History A in mock A*in business mock
Course: Linguistics and German
Extra-curricular: CCF, Choir, Scout(joined Jamboree last year), History society, German class in language school on weekly basis, know fluent Cantonese, Mandarin and English, Swimming team captain(Hong Kong), basketball team captain(England), Student Association stuff
UNis: UCL, Warwick, York or Durham, Queen mary
I really want to go to edinburgh lol since its juz staggering both the town and uni
Wondering would they give out unconditional offer tho
BTW apparently u can beat me by milessss in light of ur academics and extra stuff haha
hey i got AAAA in my highers and i am taking a gap year instead of a 6th year, what do you think my chances of getting into psychology are?
Reply 53
4A's are amazing!!!! What did u do them in if u don't mind me asking, I really wanna take a gap year too however parents say otherwise:frown:. I'm sure for physcology they r amazing grades just make sure your personal statement complements it!
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE Grades: 10A*s
Actual AS grades: AAAA in English Language, Maths, Chinese and Religious Studies
Predicted A Level grades: I don't actually know yet but probably at least A*AA
A Level choices: English Language, Chinese, Maths, EPQ
Course: Japanese
Extra curricular: Rowing for the North West, rowing in general, being junior captain at said rowing club, my team were finalists in HSBC 2016 Chinese Speaking competition after I wrote the script, did a few Linguistics Olympiad puzzles for fun (I only found out it existed a few days after the 2016 one lol), entered an essay competition at Cambridge about Japanese literature, summer school at Trinity College, lots of reading, playing the piano, was involved in youth Parliament for a bit, bronze DofE, okay I can't think of any more lol
Other universities applying to: Cambridge, Sheffield, SOAS, probably Durham and if not Manchester.

I've heard that Edinburgh doesn't get to fluency with their Japanese course... Does anyone know if this is true? I really loved Edinburgh as a city when I went to the open day despite the rain so I'd be sad if I didn't end up fluent after a degree in the language!

Also just to agree with the above posters about the train station being really mystical, I think it's probably because it is literally in the centre of the city and kind of pops out of nowhere haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Who's got their A2 predictions?! I hope you all get the predictions you need and deserve <3
Who's got their A2 predictions?! I hope you all get the predictions you need and deserve <3

Got AAA predicted in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I asked my teachers in the first two for an A* (nobody got A* predictions by default - you had to 'plead your case' and they said they would decide over the weekend. I'm only applying for AAA courses mainly anyways so it doesn't matter too much, but I feel with A* predictions I'd be more likely of receiving an offer in the first place.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Got AAA predicted in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I asked my teachers in the first two for an A* (nobody got A* predictions by default - you had to 'plead your case' and they said they would decide over the weekend. I'm only applying for AAA courses mainly anyways so it doesn't matter too much, but I feel with A* predictions I'd be more likely of receiving an offer in the first place.

That's fantastic, well done! I'm sure they won't take predicteds into account too much but if you want that A* you go and bloomin get it!!!! But congrats on 3 As :smile:
That's fantastic, well done! I'm sure they won't take predicteds into account too much but if you want that A* you go and bloomin get it!!!! But congrats on 3 As :smile:

Thank you!
Is anyone else also considering St Andrews but put off by the geographical location?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending