The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Have **** GCSE's of 7A* 1C at GCSE w/ 5 re-takes (don't judge lol) is there any chance of me doing medicine?
My stats...
Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C
AS Level: AAAA
A level prediction: A*A*A*
Ukcat: 663

Which uni's are best for me???
Thanks in advance 😎👍🏿
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Hey everyone! Just a question about the mid-way ukcat preliminary results. Over the next few weeks as the september crew finish their exams, is the mean likely to go up or down? I heard someone once tell me that those who do it later tend to do worse, but idek :/ Can't seem to find any previous copies of the document relating to the previous years. Any ideas?

On the UKCAT guide it says that people who do the test earlier tend to do better. I think they remove the prelim results after actual results are released, because they're definitely not on the website :lol:

If I were to hazard I guess, I'd say they'll go down. Not by a lot, but I think they'll go down (please note this is completely speculation), mostly because of what the UKCAT website says, but also because people doing it now are more likely to be busy with other work and whatnot.
We can't really be certain, though, but they are quite comforting to an extent, because they probably won't change massively.
I was starting to get worried, though, especially since out of the 6 people who have taken it at my school so far, half of us got 750+ :lol:
Original post by Gogregg
On the UKCAT guide it says that people who do the test earlier tend to do better. I think they remove the prelim results after actual results are released, because they're definitely not on the website :lol:

If I were to hazard I guess, I'd say they'll go down. Not by a lot, but I think they'll go down (please note this is completely speculation), mostly because of what the UKCAT website says, but also because people doing it now are more likely to be busy with other work and whatnot.
We can't really be certain, though, but they are quite comforting to an extent, because they probably won't change massively.
I was starting to get worried, though, especially since out of the 6 people who have taken it at my school so far, half of us got 750+ :lol:

I need them to if i am to have a shot at liverpool and uea, got crazy unlucky so i could only manage 660 despite over 750 on practice :frown:
Original post by chrisdale98
I need them to if i am to have a shot at liverpool and uea, got crazy unlucky so i could only manage 660 despite over 750 on practice :frown:

660 is still very good :h:
I don't know much about the Liverpool entry process, but with UEA, if you have quite good GCSEs, you should be fine :colondollar:
I've actually made a thread for UEA 2017 every, if you want to join it :h:
Original post by Gogregg
660 is still very good :h:
I don't know much about the Liverpool entry process, but with UEA, if you have quite good GCSEs, you should be fine :colondollar:
I've actually made a thread for UEA 2017 every, if you want to join it :h:

Oh awesome can i have a link please? Thanks
Hey guys so I done my UKCAT today and got 713.3 average. Do I have a good chance of getting into Edinburgh with this score?
Hey guys so I done my UKCAT today and got 713.3 average. Do I have a good chance of getting into Edinburgh with this score? Thanks
Well done! I'd say ur doing very well. Your straight A/A*s show academic capability so be proud!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Could you please give me some advice?

GCSE's: 9A*s 1A
AS: A in Eng Lit, A in Maths
(My Bio and Chem Courses are Linear so didn't take AS exams for them)
A level Predictions: A*A*A (Bio, Maths, Chem)
UKCAT: 670 and Band 3 SJT
BMAT: will do!

WE: 1 week at a hospital
2 weeks work experience in a pharmacy
I don't have any voluntary work in a care environment :frown:
I have taught and supported younger students struggling in maths
Dofe
Prefect
(there's more but I don't want to go on and on :smile: )

I'm thinking if applying to Imperial, Leeds, Birmingham. I'm also thinking about Bristol.
Do you think I stand a chance with these schools?
What effect do you think my Band 3 will have on my chances if getting in?
Will my lack of voluntary work (in a care home etc.) affect my application?
Can you think of any other unis that would be a wise move?

I would REALLY appreciate any help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bright_Gift
Hi,
Could you please give me some advice?

GCSE's: 9A*s 1A
AS: A in Eng Lit, A in Maths
(My Bio and Chem Courses are Linear so didn't take AS exams for them)
A level Predictions: A*A*A (Bio, Maths, Chem)
UKCAT: 670 and Band 3 SJT
BMAT: will do!

WE: 1 week at a hospital
2 weeks work experience in a pharmacy
I don't have any voluntary work in a care environment :frown:
I have taught and supported younger students struggling in maths
Dofe
Prefect
(there's more but I don't want to go on and on :smile: )

I'm thinking if applying to Imperial, Leeds, Birmingham. I'm also thinking about Bristol.
Do you think I stand a chance with these schools?
What effect do you think my Band 3 will have on my chances if getting in?
Will my lack of voluntary work (in a care home etc.) affect my application?
Can you think of any other unis that would be a wise move?

I would REALLY appreciate any help

Posted from TSR Mobile

For UG you seem decent enough, the only thing I'd suggest is contact the universities you want to apply to ask how they use the SJ.
Thanks for replying! I'll definitely call up the unis, I want to be sure before filling up my UCAS options.
Erm, what does UG stand for?
Original post by Bright_Gift
Thanks for replying! I'll definitely call up the unis, I want to be sure before filling up my UCAS options.
Erm, what does UG stand for?

Undergraduate 👍🏿
:redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 974
For all I know school attendance has nothing to do with the application process, but I recently came across a website that said you may need to send the unis attendance records?! Is that so??
Hey everyone,

So I'm unsure of where to apply and I have done quite a bit of research but can't seem to figure out which Med Schools I should put down as my 4 choices. Here are my stats so far:

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As

A Level Predictions: A*A*A(History,Chemistry and Biology)

UKCAT: 637 Band 2 😭

Work Experience/Extra Curricular:
1 week Opticians
1 week GP
2 days Liver Unit
1 week Neurology
1 year as a Maths Tutor
1 year as a Peer Mentor
Prefect (Yr 11 and Yr 13)
Attended Kings Outreach sessions
Ongoing care home placement
Organised Christmas Party at a care home near by school

I know my UKCAT is quite low, therefore I do plan to do the BMAT and apply to non - UKCAT heavy universities. So far I have been thinking of:

Bristol - very aware its PS heavy
UEA - are my GCSEs good enough??
Liverpool
Lancaster
Brighton and Sussex
Leeds - again are my GCSEs good enough?
UCL - I was wondering if I should take a risk and apply here?

Where do you think my chances lie? I keep changing my mind as I am unsure which choices would be best?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 976
Are there any universities that accept a UKCAT score of 1860 and band 2?
Original post by MA1998
Are there any universities that accept a UKCAT score of 1860 and band 2?

What are your GCSEs like?
I have posted in this 4 times without any help and I am getting stressed
Got my ukcat score back and it was pretty bad with 1730 and band 2…
GCSEs 3A*'s 4.5 A's 2 B's (highest achiever as secondary school)
AS AABB maths bio chem history
Predicted A2 AAA
I was just wondering do I even have a chance? Would I be wasting my ucas options by applying?
Original post by Leontia123
I have posted in this 4 times without any help and I am getting stressed
Got my ukcat score back and it was pretty bad with 1730 and band 2…
GCSEs 3A*'s 4.5 A's 2 B's (highest achiever as secondary school)
AS AABB maths bio chem history
Predicted A2 AAA
I was just wondering do I even have a chance? Would I be wasting my ucas options by applying?

Your UKCAT is quite a bit below the minimum average which in theory is 1800 (600x3) but for this year the average so far is in the 1900s (not sure of the exact value) so that means there is verryy little chance that any uni would take you with that UKCAT score. Even most of thr non-UKCAT heavy unis would still expect an average of 600 and above, because let's be realistic, this is medicine and the competition is kind of ridiculous.

Your GCSE's are good (esp for you high school it would seem). You As levels are ok. It would have been muchh better if you got an A in chem for medicine

My honest honest opinion is that you would be wasting an application by applying for ukcat med schools with those ukcat scores. My advice would be that, if you are absolutely set on medicine, try and smash your A levels this year (as hard as it will be, i know), take a gap year and gain more experience and retake the ukcat and them reapply to medicine.

Of course, you could always do another course this year. Medicine isn't the be all and end all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending