The Student Room Group

Could someone just directly answer the question its really important

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alow
Try. You don't need to have started A Levels to understand that page.

It's the way my question is worded so I don't understand what I am looking for
Reply 21
Original post by England113

Read the question, then read the chemguide webpage. All of the answers are written there about as simply as possible.
:lolwut: x 2 this stuff is easy after a bit of research, m8 put some effort in, you'll get there
calmit k!
Reply 23
I have tried findings answer for 2 weeks.

As soon as you knew that you would struggle to answer the question, you should've posted it here and/or started to attempt to understand the background behind the question; how can you have left a question that is clearly so important to the very last minute? You could have taken out books from the library, which mostly tend to explain better than websites, or asked teachers etc. Also, how can you not have started A-Level and be asked a question like this for an interview?
You have to now at least try and understand the content provided on the chemguide page, and then ask questions: don't expect anyone here to provide you with everything, because then it just looks lazy on your part, and you need to be able to understand it yourself anyway if it's for an interview...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by SummerStrawberry
I understand that, and that's why I'm still sat on this thread trying to help you, but I cannot help you until you help me; what exactly on the chemguide page do you not understand? I need to know this so that I can guide you through it.

Thanks but I think this is the end. Life is just bad

Break down the question:

The first part asks you to " Describe how you could distinguish between separate solutions of sodium fluoride , sodium chloride , sodium bromide and sodium iodide using separate solutions silver nitrate and ammonia." It's a hypothetical scenario where you've got four different sodium salts, but you don't know which is which. You've got to use "separate solutions of silver nitrate and ammonia", so you have a solution of silver nitrate, and another solution of ammonia, to test the four sodium salts to find out which is which.

On the chemguide page, there is a table which describes how each sodium salt will react in the presence of the silver nitrate. Further down the page, there is a description of what happens when an ammonia solution is added. You simply need to convert this information into written form to answer the first part. You don't necessarily need everything on the page to answer the question.

The second part of the question asks you to "Predict the effect of concentrated ammonia solution on silver astatide ,AgAt and explain your answer.". Astatide is another halogen further down the group 7 elements, but it only exists for a short period before it decays radioactively. Therefore, you can only predict what would happen using your knowledge of the halogens further up the group. It's just an extrapolation exercise.
Break down the question:

The first part asks you to " Describe how you could distinguish between separate solutions of sodium fluoride , sodium chloride , sodium bromide and sodium iodide using separate solutions silver nitrate and ammonia." It's a hypothetical scenario where you've got four different sodium salts, but you don't know which is which. You've got to use "separate solutions of silver nitrate and ammonia", so you have a solution of silver nitrate, and another solution of ammonia, to test the four sodium salts to find out which is which.

On the chemguide page, there is a table which describes how each sodium salt will react in the presence of the silver nitrate. Further down the page, there is a description of what happens when an ammonia solution is added. You simply need to convert this information into written form to answer the first part. You don't necessarily need everything on the page to answer the question.

The second part of the question asks you to "Predict the effect of concentrated ammonia solution on silver astatide ,AgAt and explain your answer.". Astatide is another halogen further down the group 7 elements, but it only exists for a short period before it decays radioactively. Therefore, you can only predict what would happen using your knowledge of the halogens further up the group. It's just an extrapolation exercise.

Don't do his work to determine whether he'll be able to cope with chemistry next year for him - he'll end up taking AS and then failing.
Reply 27
Break down the question:

I understand a little now
Reply 28
Original post by ValerieKR
Don't do his work to determine whether he'll be able to cope with chemistry next year for him - he'll end up taking AS and then failing.

That's a bit rude; he/she's trying to help as much as possible without handing the answers to him. There is no harm in that; it's not for you to predict the future and to be so discouraging. It's more than you're doing; forums are to HELP people...
(edited 7 years ago)
Describe how you could distinguish between separate solutions of sodium fluoride , sodium chloride , sodium bromide and sodium iodide using separate solutions silver nitrate and ammonia.

Predict the effect of concentrated ammonia solution on silver astatide ,AgAt and explain your answer.

9 marks

The pics are from my lab book.

I'm not sure about the astatide one but I'm going with what sue99 said.

BTW if you're doing AQA 7404 spec then this will be practical 4. You can download the practicals handbook from the AQA website.
(edited 7 years ago)

I wouldn't say that I've done the work for them, rather pushed them in the right direction. If they need the answer for tomorrow, it's clear that they're not just being lazy; stress would have set-in by this point to ensure that they get the work done (it's why people can pull all-nighters before an essay is due in), so there's probably an element of not understanding. The OP asked for help understanding the phrasing of the question, upon which I elaborated in the hope that it'll give them the kick-start they need to answer the question on their own.

I can only lead a horse to water; I cannot make it drink.
Reply 31

I won't as I have only 3 questions left to answer so don't be dumb.
Look I don't understand because I haven't stated a level

The things I would say to you if I wouldn't get a ban for it...

If I were somebody who had been provided the answers 8x over several days and several threads and still didn't know what they were I wouldn't accuse other people of being dumb.
Reply 34
If I were somebody who had been provided the answers 8x over several days and several threads and still didn't know what they were I wouldn't accuse other people of being dumb.

Also OP is just being incredibly ungrateful to people who want to help.

Those questions are your responsibility, not ours.
Im curious as to why this thread is still dragging on. The OP has been answered at least 4 times and yet apparently the answer still eludes them?
Reply 36
Seriously- if you're trying to get people to spell out the answer for you instead of just reading it for yourself, that (quite frankly) lazy and bad attitude isn't going to get you a dentistry degree. You're going to have to put the work and reading in yourself. If you don't understand something, find another source like a youtube tutorial or text book. This is just meant as a reality check, not to be nasty.
Reply 37
Original post by rose:)
Seriously- if you're trying to get people to spell out the answer for you instead of just reading it for yourself, that (quite frankly) lazy and bad attitude isn't going to get you a dentistry degree. You're going to have to put the work and reading in yourself. If you don't understand something, find another source like a youtube tutorial or text book. This is just meant as a reality check, not to be nasty.

Go away
Reply 38
Go away

Lol.
Reply 39
Original post by alow
Lol.

This is old and no longer needs an answer

Quick Reply

Latest