The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by MA1998
Hi,

I have both a B in English Language GCSE and band 8.5 in academic IELTS because I need for my student visa anyway. Which one would universities use? Is it ok if I applied to a university that requires an A in English GCSE since my IELTS score is very high? Or would they only look at my GCSE grade?

You would need to check with the uni for a definitive answer. However, if they have specified an A at GCSE that's an unusually high requirement, so they're likely to be very fussy.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You would need to check with the uni for a definitive answer. However, if they have specified an A at GCSE that's an unusually high requirement, so they're likely to be very fussy.

Thank you

I contacted Bristol and East Anglia and they both said that they would not consider the IELTS as a substitute for an English Language GCSE if I have done the GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by MA1998
Thank you

I contacted Bristol and East Anglia and they both said that they would not consider the IELTS as a substitute for an English Language GCSE if I have done the GCSE.

But do they actually ask for an A in GCSE English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
But do they actually ask for an A in GCSE English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, for medicine.
Reply 5
Original post by MA1998
Yes, for medicine.

Ah. Well seems strange they don't accept a very good IELTS score over the less good GCSE. But if two different universities are saying the same thing then that's probably that I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Ah. Well seems strange they don't accept a very good IELTS score over the less good GCSE. But if two different universities are saying the same thing then that's probably that I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I will just choose universities that are fine with a B in GCSE English. I don't even know why I thought of applying to Bristol and UEA.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably so that people don't keep trying different qualifications until they find a style of question that they can do. Also, English GCSE is already for people who speak English, so the questions can be more analytical and discuss things like metaphors and similes. IELTS is for people who speak other languages, so is more like our Fremch GCSE - more about how to say things and learning vocabulary, like how to go to the post office.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
It's probably so that people don't keep trying different qualifications until they find a style of question that they can do. Also, English GCSE is already for people who speak English, so the questions can be more analytical and discuss things like metaphors and similes. IELTS is for people who speak other languages, so is more like our Fremch GCSE - more about how to say things and learning vocabulary, like how to go to the post office.

Yes but if they hadn't sat the GCSE their IELTS score was more than high enough.

But I get the point of trying multiple types of qualification.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

English is my second language; I started learning it in year 9 and sat the GCSE in year 11. So, I can't see why the B is not enough.

If I didn't sit GCSE English, I would probably be accepted because my IELTS score is high...
Reply 10
I think you can use your both results. You should check University website and read requirements for International students.Most of the universities accept IELTS scores.GCSE is required for home students but you can also apply universities with your GCSE result as well

Latest