The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Having now completed my A-level year - This is a pretty good diary of an average A-level student's life. I like to think A-levels were some of the best years of my life. I finally fixed up after years of slacking off at school and it felt good to do so well at college. I will be studying Computing at Imperial College London next year. Maybe I'll do a similar thread next year! Be sure to follow me :smile:
The final grades are at the bottom of this post!

Hi,

I'm creating this thread as a way to track my progress throughout the year and motivate myself to study. In my AS year I took AS-Maths, A-level Maths, AS Physics and AS Computer Science. I got 4A's. It might sound great but I missed the A* in Maths by 2 marks in my Core 4 paper. I got 100% in Core 1, Core 2 and Core 3 but my Core 4 dropped to just under 80%. This annoyed me a lot because I know I was ready for Core 4 and I know that I should've done miles better. It annoyed me because now I have to retake that module this year despite knowing it last year...it was just a bad day for me I reckon. My predicted grades are currently 3A*s (Maths, Physics, Computer Science) however my Further Maths looks to be an A, however I will try to get this bumped to an A* (I mean, I did really well in terms of UMS discounting Core 4). I am also taking the EPQ this year on Computer Science and I hope to be predicted an A*.

So my teachers believe me to be capable of achieving A*'s due to high A-grades last year however I must admit I think I won't manage it. I just feel like the margins for error are too high and I'll slip up like I did in my AS-year. I intend to try my hardest though and I hope this thread motivates others too.
I am applying to study Computer Science at Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Durham/Sheffield. My internal deadline for UCAS is next week. I also have to take the MAT in around a months time. Thus a lot of preparation is required. The work load is huge at the moment but I'm just about managing.

I will be working my socks off this year and I will begin my first post on Monday which will be my second full week at college. My first week was just appalling.
For Further Maths I will be studying the Edexcel syllabus (FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2,D1) and I hope to have FP1,M2,S2 finished by December.
For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad.
For Computer Science I am doing the OCR exam board and I will be working on my coursework for the most part, I'm aiming to have that complete by December also. This will give me time to prepare for the exam.
Core 4, I will prepare for starting from January. There is no way I miss the A* in Maths next year. It scares me to think I might miss it again if I flop this exam.

My EPQ will be alongside my studies, I will sacrifice whatever time I have to it.
I am also a disadvantaged student in the sense that I attend a college that is underperforming and I am part of various schemes that allow me to apply to University. People from my area don't usually go to University and I will be the first in my family to attend University hopefully. Also I always thought Oxford/Cambridge were only for rich kids who could afford it lol..Glad they put that misconception away.
I am more than willing to pull my weight this year to achieve these grades. Oxford and Imperial are just hopes, I at least want to get offers from Bristol and Warwick and Sheffield/Durham.

If you have any advice about anything whether it be Universities, or how to succeed or A-levels I would be more than happy to receive it!
With that being said, I think this will be the opener to my thread.

Thanks for reading,
Someboady

EDIT: I am predicted 5A*s now. The support on this thread has been phenomenal and thank you everyone for your encouraging words, hopefully I'll meet everyone's expectations.

University Applications
Thank you to @DarkEnergy for creating the template used below!:
UCAS Application Send Off Date: 11/10/16
Oxford (MCompSci Computer Science) - Interview Date: 11/12/16 | Date: 11/01/17| Reply: Rejection Post Interview :/
Imperial College London (MEng Computing) - Interview Date: 23/11/16 | Date: 02/01/17| Reply: A*AAA w/ A in EPQ
Warwick (MEng Computer Science | Date: 17/10/16 | Reply: Standard Offer: A*AA, My Offer: AAA for MEng or AAB for BSc (w/transfer to MEng)
Bristol (MEng Computer Science) - Interview Date: 09/11/16 | Date: 06/12/16 (technical hitch with my UCAS) | Reply: Standard Offer: A*AA, Contextual Offer (underperforming College): AAA, My Offer: AAB (Must have had a really good interview)
Durham (MEng Computer Science) | Date: 27/10/16| Reply: Standard offer: A*AA

MAT Preparation Record:
Target: 70/100

In order as attempted:
MAT 2010 | Q1: 28/40 | Q2: 5/15 | Q5: 15/15 | Q6: 4/15 | Q7: 3/15 | TOTAL = 55/100 (Average Successful applicant scored: 69.3)
MAT 2011 | Q1: 24/40 | Q2: 10/15 | Q5: 9/15 | Q6: 14/15 | Q7: 10/15 | TOTAL = 67/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 71.3)
MAT 2012 | Q1: 36/40 | Q2: 9/15 | Q5: 14/15 | Q6: 15/15 | Q7: 13/15 | TOTAL = 86/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 68.2)
MAT 2013 | Q1: 24/40 | Q2: 5/15 | Q5: 5/15 | Q6: 15/15 | Q7: 9/15 | TOTAL = 58/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 61.3)
MAT 2014 | Q1: 28/40 | Q2: 6/15 | Q5: 6/15 | Q6: 14/15 | Q7: 8/15 | TOTAL = 62/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 71.5)
MAT 2007 | Q1: 36/40 | Q2: 12/15 | Q5: 13/15 | Q6: 15/15 | Q7: 11/15 | TOTAL = 87/100 (Average Successful applicant scored 75.2)

Days left to MAT: It is over and it went awfully...
EDIT: I got an Oxford Interview... somehow
EDIT: Rejected post Interview, heyho i gave it my best!

Exams Incoming this Summer:
FP1 | Date: 19th May | Time: AM
FP2 | Date: 7th June | Time: AM
FP3 | Date: 26th June | Time: PM
D1 | Date: 16th June | Time: PM
S2 | Date: 26th June | Time: PM
M2 | Date: 16th June | Time: PM
C4 (Resit) | Date: 23rd June | Time: AM

Physics Paper 1 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
Physics Paper 2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
Physics Paper 3 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD

Computer Science Paper 1 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD
Computer Science Paper 2 | Date: TBD | Time: TBD

Total = 13 exams

--------------------------------------------------

My Final grades!

Spoiler

Maths UMS (selective)

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Why not apply to Cambridge for CompSci? I thought they were ranked the highest in the UK for computer science?

Good luck tho :smile:
Reply 3
Hi! You're doing almost exactly the same thing as me (4A* rather than 5 because I am not doing the EPQ), but I'm studying maths further maths physics and comp sci, and applying for maths and comp sci to the same unis but swap bristol for Edinburgh :smile:
Let's hope it goes well!
Can I ask? Is A level Physics good? And do you have good teachers?
Reply 5
Original post by Hannah_xox
Can I ask? Is A level Physics good? And do you have good teachers?

Unfortunately this year my college gave me the worst teachers for all my subjects so I plan on self-studying Computer Science and half of my Further Maths modules. My Physics teacher is okay I guess, though I struggle to understand her accent/wording sometimes. I requested to change classes twice but I was denied quite harshly both times unfortunately. So I've got to stick with and make the best of my situation.

A-level Physics is a difficult subject, some say its the toughest subject to do at A-levels (sorry chemistry people). Definitely I would say the exams this year were very very difficult but overall Physics is fun to learn about, but its all about being able to apply what you know in the right way. Also you do quite a few experiments and some are quite boring but Physics in itself has always been very interesting.
Reply 6
Original post by k.m.b
Good Luck :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by iHammmy
Why not apply to Cambridge for CompSci? I thought they were ranked the highest in the UK for computer science?

Good luck tho :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
I do like the course at Cambridge and I've visited it a couple times through their schemes for disadvantaged students but overall I preferred the environment of Oxford, it was more city-like if that makes sense (cambridge was more alien to me)
Reply 8
Original post by Someboady
Thanks! :smile:
I do like the course at Cambridge and I've visited it a couple times through their schemes for disadvantaged students but overall I preferred the environment of Oxford, it was more city-like if that makes sense (cambridge was more alien to me)

Understandable, good luck and enjoy :smile:

Solid choice of subject and unis (apart from Oxf*rd)! I think with those grades you are very likely to get offers from Bristol, Warwick and Durham, a strong chance for Imperial, and as good a chance as anyone for Oxford. Feel free to p.m. me if you have any questions about applying (I applied to 4/5 of those unis for Computer Science and will be starting at Cambridge in October). Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by sweeneyrod
Solid choice of subject and unis (apart from Oxf*rd)! I think with those grades you are very likely to get offers from Bristol, Warwick and Durham, a strong chance for Imperial, and as good a chance as anyone for Oxford. Feel free to p.m. me if you have any questions about applying (I applied to 4/5 of those unis for Computer Science and will be starting at Cambridge in October). Good luck!

Thank you! I hope this year goes well, just wondering about whether the Universities will make offers based on 4-A-levels rather than 3? e.g. A* AAA... That would be very annoying if they did lol
Good luck buddy, hopefully you'll smash A Levels and get into the Uni you want to
Thank you! I hope this year goes well, just wondering about whether the Universities will make offers based on 4-A-levels rather than 3? e.g. A* AAA... That would be very annoying if they did lol

I only did three A-levels, but I think if you did four you would often get offers involving all of them. Out of the ones you're applying to, I think Imperial might be a bit funny (they have a habit of giving higher offers than the ones advertised, my friend got A*A*A for Computing, and me A*A*A with A in the EPQ for JMC), and Oxford might care about all of them since you did most of maths last year, and they might want to see 3 A2s this year. For the rest of them, even if you did get an A*AAA offer I expect they would let you in if you didn't get an A in the fourth subject.
Best of luck to you!
May I congratulate you already?
I intend to study similar A levels as you (Computing, Maths, and possibly Further Maths, though I do struggle with Maths so maybe I'd be best off avoiding Further) and I think that being estimated 3A*s is really good- you must've put in a lot of work.
Congratulations, and good luck! :smile:
Reply 15
DAY 1
Hi,
So It's been the first day of the second full week of college. I have spoken to all my teachers respectively and they've all predicted me A*s, so I actually do have a 5A* prediction for my A-levels+EPQ which I think is amazing and I'm honestly so lucky! All the hardwork from my AS year did pay off it seems, maybe not albeit fully but partially! I have some strong references from my teachers, however I missed my meeting today with my tutor (she didn't show up) so I'm going to arrange for that meeting tomorrow instead. So that's all in terms of predicted grades
Further Mathematics
So tomorrow we complete FP1's first chapter on Complex number and we also finish its second chapter on numerical methods. I have already completed Complex numbers but I will be revising those as they will be the topic of my first test of FP1 (and i need it for the references). M1 we have completed two chapters and are half way through the third, I expect we'll finish the third this week. S2, my teacher is somewhat lost himself.... he also teaches half my Further modules so I've planned to self teach all of those modules. I'm going to have self-teach all of S2 since he covers all of statistics - I plan on doing this by December.
Physics
In Physics we've completed the first little section of periodic motion ( on circular motion) and we did some questions. We are lagging behind the rest of the year because I got put in a class which are quite slow (which can be both an advantage or disadvantage to me). However I am making notes on Circular motion and hoping to learn Simple Harmonic Motion. I will not be self-teaching much of Physics as I will be going along with whatever it is the class does.
Computer Science
How I regret the day I picked this subject at A-level (because i have no teacher)... But we're working on the coursework and I was told my project has the potential for an A* as long as I do it well. I'm coding it in Java and I have begun... Java is not my strong language but I want to make sure nobody copies me at college, the last thing I want is to be done for plagirism. This fear is pragmatic because it happened in my GCSE year and I was lucky to have done my coursework in different languages whereas everyone else copied each other and yeah... bad things happened.
EPQ
I suggested my title to my teacher and she said it was all fine except one word which makes the whole topic too broad. Personally I don't agree having written an assignment similar to this but I will try to develop the title further!
UCAS/ University Stuff
The MAT is coming up fast. I need to check that I've been registered for the MAT as I havent been told anything about it yet. I haven't started revising for it unfortunately so I'm going to start today. I think this has pushed its way to the top of my priority list! I am submitting my UCAS form tomorrow I hope after my meeting with my tutor. I will be applying to:
Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield(Durham is too far according to my parents).

Thank you for all the support on this thread so far guys its phenomenal! :smile:
Reply 16
DAY 1
Hi,
So It's been the first day of the second full week of college. I have spoken to all my teachers respectively and they've all predicted me A*s, so I actually do have a 5A* prediction for my A-levels+EPQ which I think is amazing and I'm honestly so lucky! All the hardwork from my AS year did pay off it seems, maybe not albeit fully but partially! I have some strong references from my teachers, however I missed my meeting today with my tutor (she didn't show up) so I'm going to arrange for that meeting tomorrow instead. So that's all in terms of predicted grades
Further Mathematics
So tomorrow we complete FP1's first chapter on Complex number and we also finish its second chapter on numerical methods. I have already completed Complex numbers but I will be revising those as they will be the topic of my first test of FP1 (and i need it for the references). M1 we have completed two chapters and are half way through the third, I expect we'll finish the third this week. S2, my teacher is somewhat lost himself.... he also teaches half my Further modules so I've planned to self teach all of those modules. I'm going to have self-teach all of S2 since he covers all of statistics - I plan on doing this by December.
Physics
In Physics we've completed the first little section of periodic motion ( on circular motion) and we did some questions. We are lagging behind the rest of the year because I got put in a class which are quite slow (which can be both an advantage or disadvantage to me). However I am making notes on Circular motion and hoping to learn Simple Harmonic Motion. I will not be self-teaching much of Physics as I will be going along with whatever it is the class does.
Computer Science
How I regret the day I picked this subject at A-level (because i have no teacher)... But we're working on the coursework and I was told my project has the potential for an A* as long as I do it well. I'm coding it in Java and I have begun... Java is not my strong language but I want to make sure nobody copies me at college, the last thing I want is to be done for plagirism. This fear is pragmatic because it happened in my GCSE year and I was lucky to have done my coursework in different languages whereas everyone else copied each other and yeah... bad things happened.
EPQ
I suggested my title to my teacher and she said it was all fine except one word which makes the whole topic too broad. Personally I don't agree having written an assignment similar to this but I will try to develop the title further!
UCAS/ University Stuff
The MAT is coming up fast. I need to check that I've been registered for the MAT as I havent been told anything about it yet. I haven't started revising for it unfortunately so I'm going to start today. I think this has pushed its way to the top of my priority list! I am submitting my UCAS form tomorrow I hope after my meeting with my tutor. I will be applying to:
Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield(Durham is too far according to my parents).

Thank you for all the support on this thread so far guys its phenomenal! :smile:

What is your revision technique for Physics and Computer Science? Do you write notes (If so how do you write them effectively). Or do you use cgp guides etc
I literally cracked up at this for a good few minutes, nice joke. Hmu when you get there! xD ffs hahahaha
Good luck, try to aim for realistic goals though. If you will miss out on an A* in Maths, Further Maths might just kill you :frown:. Take full advantage of your applied modules lol... Nevertheless, I hope you succeed!
Good luck !! I wish you all the best :smile: How much do you revise per day at AS + alevel ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending