The Student Room Group

Did you hear about the Marc Jacobs Controversy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What if the models identify as black though? Didn't think of that did they, the racists.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
What if the models identify as black though? Didn't think of that did they, the racists.

Idk if it's true but I heard there were only 2 black models.
Reply 22
Original post by saraxh
Idk if it's true but I heard there were only 2 black models.

But the others could identify as black. :colonhash:

I don't think any of them do or have spoken out about identifying as black.
Most of the models in response to the controversy would probably just state 'it wasn't my fault, I was told to wear it' or just remain silent.
Reply 24
Original post by IRoranth
I don't think any of them do or have spoken out about identifying as black.
Most of the models in response to the controversy would probably just state 'it wasn't my fault, I was told to wear it' or just remain silent.

I would not expect them to, I am simply being facetious.

Maybe :redface:. I know Gigi, Bella,Kendall, Hailey, Karlie, Adriana & Taylor don't.
Original post by iEthan
Moved to fashion and beauty. :smile:

Why? This is clearly a discussion about "cultural appropriation", not the Spring/Summer 2017 collection.
Lol, what a stupid comparison. Clothing is personal to a culture. A mobile phone, an airplane and the internet have nothing to do with culture. People don't get persecuted because they use a phone, people do however get looked down on by the white, dominant race which steals from cultures because suddenly they're fashionable and the cool thing to wear, e.g. wearing dreads or a bindi to a festival.

I bet people who appropriate my culture don't even understand the significance of the bindi, yet wear it for a certain look and still remain ignorant.

Wow.

PS: I suggest you read Edward Said's 'Orientalism'

They were each invented by white males who contributed significantly to Western culture. They are far more noteworthy than a hairstyle or a fashion trend. 'Whites steal from cultures' lmao

Dreads are disgusting and bindis are primarily religious so I don't see the point in following either trend. How far do you want to take it? Stop minorities from eating fish and chips as it appropriates British culture? Or wearing suits?

I wish this entire cultural appropriation meme would die
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
They were each invented by white males who contributed significantly to Western culture. They are far more noteworthy than a hairstyle or a fashion trend. 'Whites steal from cultures' lmao

Dreads are disgusting and bindis are primarily religious so I don't see the point in following either trend. How far do you want to take it? Stop minorities from eating fish and chips as it appropriates British culture? Or wearing suits?

I wish this entire cultural appropriation meme would die

I don't think you understand.

People don't get persecuted by for using the internet, mobile phones or aeroplanes.

How clear can I get?

PS, dreads and bindi's are not 'trends'

Educate yourself please, you sound like a laughing stock.

People don't get persecuted by for using the internet, mobile phones or aeroplanes.

How clear can I get?

The part in bold is the exact point that he is making, that going by your logic black people should be scrutinised for using the internet/mobile phones/aeroplanes as they were invented by white people and are a part of Western culture.
Reply 30
Original post by catholicgirl

So much straw I could feed the world's cattle for a million years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Why? This is clearly a discussion about "cultural appropriation", not the Spring/Summer 2017 collection.

Mods r dumb tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

How clear can I get?

Original post by W. A. Mozart
The part in bold is the exact point that he is making, that going by your logic black people should be scrutinised for using the internet/mobile phones/aeroplanes as they were invented by white people and are a part of Western culture.

Mozart's right. Did that go over your head?

Dreads and bindis are certainly trends for those who have adopted them.

You should change your perspective before you make yourself sound dense again.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

Moving it to an unpopular forum so it doesn't offend anyone :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending