The Student Room Group

How many personal statements do I need to write if...

Does anybody know how many personal statements I need to write if I'm applying for 3 different courses across 2 universities. I'm applying for 2 physics courses, 2 mechanical engineering courses and 1 marine engineering course. Couldn't find any information online. I think I heard my teacher mention briefly that I would need to write a personal statement for each type of course but I would like some confirmation. So if this is the case would I be right in saying I would have to write 3 ? One each for the 2 different Engineering courses and another for the Physics course ?

Thanks,
Ross.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the vast majority of cases 1, as UCAS only allows space for 1, however if applying for a variety of courses some unit may allow alternative personal statements.
Original post by RossB1702
Does anybody know how many personal statements I need to write if I'm applying for 3 different courses across 2 universities. I'm applying for 2 physics courses, 2 mechanical engineering courses and 1 marine engineering course. Couldn't find any information online. I think I heard my teacher mention briefly that I would need to write a personal statement for each type of course but I would like some confirmation. So if this is the case would I be right in saying I would have to write 3 ? One each for the 2 different Engineering courses and another for the Physics course ?

Thanks,
Ross.
Posted from TSR Mobile

With very few exceptions, you're only allowed to write one personal statement. It is generally not at all advised to apply for significantly different courses at different universities because that indicates that you're indecisive and haven't thought things through properly.
Original post by AlexS101
In the vast majority of cases 1, as UCAS only allows space for 1, however if applying for a variety of courses some unit may allow alternative personal statements.

Thanks, I'll need to look into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plagioclase
With very few exceptions, you're only allowed to write one personal statement. It is generally not at all advised to apply for significantly different courses at different universities because that indicates that you're indecisive and haven't thought things through properly.

Really ? I see people applying for at least 2 different courses all the time. I know someone who applied for 4 completely different courses at 2 universities as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask my teacher about it next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really ? I see people applying for at least 2 different courses all the time. I know someone who applied for 4 completely different courses at 2 universities as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask my teacher about it next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does happen all the time but that doesn't mean it's a good idea!
Bear in mind that unis can see what you are applying for at their uni, and they can see your PS too, even if you send an alternative one
Original post by *Interrobang*
Bear in mind that unis can see what you are applying for at their uni, and they can see your PS too, even if you send an alternative one

What's wrong if they see my other personal statements ? As long as I don't say super cliche things like "ever since I was a child I've always been interested in..." for all my personal statements, otherwise they'd know I was lying lol. Thanks for the advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's wrong if they see my other personal statements ? As long as I don't say super cliche things like "ever since I was a child I've always been interested in..." for all my personal statements, otherwise they'd know I was lying lol. Thanks for the advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a case of thinking you are lying. It's a case of thinking that you're not dedicated to the course. Unis are less likely to give you an offer if they think you are indecisive. And there's no guarantee unis will accept an alternative PS anyway
I was wondering this, I want to apply to Oxford for ppe and Lse for economics but you can only write one personal statement, so I can't accommodate for both courses in one statement because that would make it weaker. So I'd have to drop one course which I'd rather not do or write two personal statements if I'm allowed. Is there any way you can get permission to write and send through two personal statements?
It's not a case of thinking you are lying. It's a case of thinking that you're not dedicated to the course. Unis are less likely to give you an offer if they think you are indecisive. And there's no guarantee unis will accept an alternative PS anyway

Fair enough, I think I'll be alright though. As I said earlier I know people who have applied for 4 different courses and got 4 offers for each course. I looked online and it said that if you have applied for more than one different courses then you'll have to carefully word your essay so that it relates to both of the courses. I think I could make it work, but that's only the case if they don't allow me to write more than one PS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Proximo
I was wondering this, I want to apply to Oxford for ppe and Lse for economics but you can only write one personal statement, so I can't accommodate for both courses in one statement because that would make it weaker. So I'd have to drop one course which I'd rather not do or write two personal statements if I'm allowed. Is there any way you can get permission to write and send through two personal statements?

I contacted UCAS via Facebook asking them, if you want I'll tell you what they told me once they get back to me or you contact them yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Proximo

LSE are very particular about their PS. Why not apply for economics and management at Oxford? You could do that with a PS for economics

Fair enough, I think I'll be alright though. As I said earlier I know people who have applied for 4 different courses and got 4 offers for each course. I looked online and it said that if you have applied for more than one different courses then you'll have to carefully word your essay so that it relates to both of the courses. I think I could make it work, but that's only the case if they don't allow me to write more than one PS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

While that may be the case, it's by no means guaranteed. You should instead focus on one (or two very closely related) course and apply for just that. But I can only advise you, I can't do it for you
I contacted UCAS via Facebook asking them, if you want I'll tell you what they told me once they get back to me or you contact them yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you could tell me what they told you that would be very helpful :smile: thanks - but if it's too much trouble dw about it
LSE are very particular about their PS. Why not apply for economics and management at Oxford? You could do that with a PS for economics

Idk, I've been thinking about ppe for years, like since year 7 lol. I heard economics and management is almost impossible to get into, harder than ppe, not sure if I could do it. I think I stand a chance for ppe tho.

While that may be the case, it's by no means guaranteed. You should instead focus on one (or two very closely related) course and apply for just that. But I can only advise you, I can't do it for you

All the courses I am applying for have a great deal of maths, physics and problem solving, I could relate it to that as I really enjoy those subjects and being challenged. If I decide to take your advice I would probably drop the physics and focus on the 2 engineering courses, mechanical and marine engineering are most likely heavily related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
All the courses I am applying for have a great deal of maths, physics and problem solving, I could relate it to that as I really enjoy those subjects and being challenged. If I decide to take your advice I would probably drop the physics and focus on the 2 engineering courses, mechanical and marine engineering are most likely heavily related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

While they may be linked in that way, you are expected to say something along the lines of 'I am interested in maths/physics/engineering', which is where you will become stuck. And the maths is used slightly differently, so you would be expected to talk about slightly different focuses for your specific interests. It could be more forgiven if your course choice was unusual, but almost all unis will have maths/physics and a significant number do engineerin
So basically I'm applying for 2 different types of engineering courses and a physics course across 3 universities I would like to know how i could talk about all 3 of them in one personal statement as UCAS only allows space for one personal statement. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this ? Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Title should say: Has anyone applied for several different courses at university ? How did you talk about all these courses in one personal statement ?

Don't know what happened there lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've changed the thread title for you. Generally this isn't a good idea unless the courses are very similar. You don't want to come across as confused or undecided in your PS. You need to first pick wither engineering or physics because one is pure and one is applied. Then you need to either pick one type of engineering or general engineering. With a confused statement you run the risk of being rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending