The Student Room Group

Surds

Doing a worksheet on surds right now and I'm stuck on this one question. I'd be grateful if someone could give any hints or explain how to do the question. Sorry!!

the question:
The sides of a rectangle are in the ratio 2:3. The diagonal is of length 26cm. Find the perimeter.
Reply 1
Original post by theweirdo
Doing a worksheet on surds right now and I'm stuck on this one question. I'd be grateful if someone could give any hints or explain how to do the question. Sorry!!

the question:
The sides of a rectangle are in the ratio 2:3. The diagonal is of length 26cm. Find the perimeter.

Let the sides by xx and yy, then pythagoras tells you that x2+y2=262x^2 + y^2 = 26^2.

What does the ratio between the sides tell you about another relationship between xx and yy?

Use those two equations to solve for x and y, then add them together.

the question:

You're told it's a 2:32:3 ratio which would be the same as a 2a:3a2a:3a ratio for some multiple of aa.

Let one side equal 2a2a and the other equal 3a3a.

The perimeter is 10a10a

Use Pythagoras to work out aa since you are told the diagonal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry!!

Thinking you have to apologise is...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest