The Student Room Group

Re-sitting year 12 with different a level options

I just wanted to know if resitting year 12 with different a level options will hinder my chances of getting into a Russell Group University for medicine?
Original post by Qazplmwsxokn
I just wanted to know if resitting year 12 with different a level options will hinder my chances of getting into a Russell Group University for medicine?

Yes you'll only have a few medical schools that'll accept you.

Idk I think it's probably the same as sitting exams again, or perhaps doing a gap year and applyin

I'm not sure if you would even put that this is your second time in year 12 on your UCAS, plus loads of people start again due to moving and stuff (especially in international schools) so as long as you read around your subject, and get the grades I think you should be fine
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Ohh right. Do you know which medical schools I can apply to? Is UCL one of them?
Original post by iman305
Idk I think it's probably the same as sitting exams again, or perhaps doing a gap year and applyin

I'm not sure if you would even put that this is your second time in year 12 on your UCAS, plus loads of people start again due to moving and stuff (especially in international schools) so as long as you read around your subject, and get the grades I think you should be fine

Thank you for your reply. Do you k ow anyone who was successful in doing medicine despite resitting year 12

im not sure about medicine but because you are doing different subjects, then you will be able to apply to RG unis

If OP achieves high grades along with high GCSE grades there's no reason why only a few would accept them.
Reply 7

Russell Group doesn't matter for medicine in the slightest. If you are doing completely new A-level options, most of them should be ok with that - they want you to achieve your grades over a two year period so usually resitting is not ok, but might be in these circumstances. You would need to check each university's requirements carefully and contact them if necessary to confirm their position.
Original post by Uyirpeariel
If OP achieves high grades along with high GCSE grades there's no reason why only a few would accept them.

It doesn't matter what his GCSEs and A Levels are. If it's obtained over three years, then he/she is barred at most medical schools.
Ohh right. Do you know which medical schools I can apply to? Is UCL one of them?

No, UCL is not one of them. If you search through TSR/Google, you'll find them.
Thank you for your reply. Do you k ow anyone who was successful in doing medicine despite resitting year 12

Not specifically medicine, but I go to an international school, where people often have to move due to their parents job moving. Obviously as they can't pick up the course exactly from where they left off, they just start again. All my friends who have moved in the middle of the course have been fine in terms of uni apps and uni choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't matter what his GCSEs and A Levels are. If it's obtained over three years, then he/she is barred at most medical schools.

Care to link us the exact woriding? I would have thought completely different subjects would be gained within the two year window.

Are you saying it counts as three years?
(edited 7 years ago)

Having had a look, then I dont think it will if you did completely different subjects as you described.
Original post by 999tigger
Care to link us the exact woriding? I would have thought completely different subjects would be gained within the two year window.

Are you saying it counts as three years?

Naturally, Biology and Chemistry would HAVE to be taken again, right? So there's going to be at least 1 A2 taken over three years. In the wording of nearly all universities, it states that ALL A Levels must be completed in one sitting/over three years. When you consider the above with regards to A2 Chemistry, it makes it impossible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending