The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think Fellaini has been fairly good, but he's similar to Rooney. There is no point building him into the XI becuase not going to be good enough to get where you want to go. Fellaini has little passing or playmaking ability, he's got poor control and isn't a good ball carrier. His scope for growth is ultimately limited by that. We are always going to have that flaw in our midfield so long as he is there. If you have Fellaini in there, you have to have another playmaker, like Herrera rather than Morgan for example. You can put Basti or Carrick in, but then what is Fellaini doing in offence? He's good being a target for long or high balls but is that what you are hoping to see next time we face City?

People seem to accept we need a midfield 3, we also need a midfield 3 that can rotate, otherwise we might as well stick with Rooney as part of the 3. If the team cannot play for sustained periods with an interchange of roles or position as required if not suitable imo.

I thought the defence, Bailly in particular was pretty shocking today but the overall work rate and organisation of the defence has been poor. Simple stuff like getting bodies back more quickly than the other team attack. Getting numbers behind the ball, and closing down the spaces in key areas. Its not being done. Similar to back when he was at Chelsea with Ivan, the whole using the full back as another winger is inherently problematic without a player who will pull wide, Fellaini has been doing that, but just like Matic at Chelsea, you vacate key space if you do that.

I think perhaps the solution in the structure of the 4-3-3, it is still really being played like a 4-2-3-1. A flatter midfield 3, and higher and tighter forwards. Narrowing the pitch like we see Atleti doing, and leaving less room in the half spaces defensively. Ibra needs to remain high but Rashford and Martial doing the up and down defensive work in the centre. Mou has used the tactic of leaving the opposition full backs aimless previously to good effect, and I think it would solve a lot of our problems. Could even play Rooney as one of the forwards if it all seems too radical.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
The only reason you're top is cause Henderson runs aimlessly around the pitch for 90 minutes

Nah it's Lallana with the pressing.

Obviously every team has their own style but it just feels like you have no idea how to win a game of football...
Lol Luke getting gassed. United fans getting gassed (then subsequently getting bummed). When will you ever learn?
Original post by James.Carnell
Lol Luke getting gassed. United fans getting gassed (then subsequently getting bummed). When will you ever learn?

Because an Arsenal fan can talk...
Not surprising^.

Majority of fans are fed up with Rooney. Clearly past it. Few deluded fans need to take off their red-tinted glasses and realise he's finished.
Original post by Lúcio
Because an Arsenal fan can talk...

I have been realistic about this league, that City will walk it and KDB is exceptional.

Flick a couple pages back and you had Utd fans belittling Arsenal saying how they are going to be right in it with City while we will **** up. Now look at them. Oh and lol at them belittling us about the transfer of Pogba too. Look at how that one is working out for them.
My my it's rather quiet round here.
Original post by Jimmy Seville

That's ironic because I didn't notice you yesterday pal...
de Gea
Valencia Smalling Bailly Shaw
Blind
Mata Pogba Martial
Ibrahimovic Rashford

Would be my team atm.
Original post by Rk2k14
Not surprising^.

Majority of fans are fed up with Rooney. Clearly past it. Few deluded fans need to take off their red-tinted glasses and realise he's finished.

Yet as soon as anyone opposes him being in the England squad they're automatically labelled a hater/ABU.
No midfield but look at Rooney ffs. So called defensive awareness which he has.

Reply 3292
:rofl: Martial in that first picture

Wounded
Original post by Rk2k14

Jesus Christ...

How did City only beat you 2-1?
Rooney has been passed it for four seasons now. Sir Alex knew the exact right time to sell him and Moyes messed it up. Now we're stuck with him. I don't understand what our managers have been seeing in him.
Two images are pretty damning, when you think of the Feyenoord goal too. Entire team is basically ball watching, all having their positioning dictated by the ball rather than as it should be where their spacing is consistent and zonal. Jose specified at the start of the season

I keep telling the players we play zonal now, you don’t follow the man and that way we stay compact as a team

I don't want to shift the blame specifically to him becuase sometime he will have to move and someone should be ready to cover him, Rooney and Pogba clearly not in position, but Fellaini in both those pictures is the epitome of what we are not supposed to be doing. In trying to double up and stop a problem he is vacating key space and create one.

Original post by NathanW18
Rooney has been passed it for four seasons now. Sir Alex knew the exact right time to sell him and Moyes messed it up. Now we're stuck with him. I don't understand what our managers have been seeing in him.
I think its that he's just consistently above average. All the players he competes with have had much better games than he has in a long time, but they have also had some shockers. Even when he's been poor Rooney has scored or assisted or something.
(edited 7 years ago)
:awesome:

Unraveling or mitigating reasons for this?
Original post by Jimmy Seville

Please troll Arsenal fan page again, I miss you in my life.
Original post by Rk2k14

Huge questions about Fellaini's positiong there as well in the first picture he is trying to do exactly the same thing Bailly is already doing, so they are both marking one player, obviously leaving another in acres of room. He should be on about the penalty spot marking tje exact ball that results in a goal.

In the 2nd one he is deeprr than both CBs marking no one and contributing nothing.
Original post by Lúcio
Nah it's Lallana with the pressing.

Obviously every team has their own style but it just feels like you have no idea how to win a game of football...

We've won the same amount of league games as you this season jabroni