Gap Year Thread 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by futurechildnurse
Oh wow,sounds interesting.

What unis are you applying for?

Xx

Yeah I'm really excited :biggrin:

Applications begin from tomorrow, but I am really liking the look of Leeds and will be applying to Kingston and probably Loughborough too so far :biggrin:

Where is everyone else thinking of applying?
Original post by Stecher
Yeah I'm really excited :biggrin:

Applications begin from tomorrow, but I am really liking the look of Leeds and will be applying to Kingston and probably Loughborough too so far :biggrin:

Where is everyone else thinking of applying?

I live in wiltshire

Sounds like some good unis.

I am applying for:
Bournemouth,anglia ruskin,uni of west london (reading),birmingham city,bucks new :smile:
Reply 42
Hi everyone,

I was just on student room and this thread came up on the side as latest discussions. My name is Emma and I recently just finished year 13 sixth form and am taking a gap year, and am going to reapply for university this year to hopefully study physiotherapy. Originally I was hoping to go to uni this year however I was unsuccessful from all my 5 uni choices post-interview in getting an offer. Annoying thing is I successfully achieved the grades needed for the course which was ABB, which I was so happy about but had no offers beforehand. However what really limited my chances of getting onto this course is the competitive nature for places on this course. As its such a highly popular course for however very limited spaces, so was lucky to at least make it to all 5 interviews at the time. With over 1000 applications for a 20-50 place course.

During this year I am hoping to build on my volunteering and do a little bit more shadowing of physiotherapists, as I have already done a decent amount following on from this year and last year. Meanwhile to keep me occupied for the year I managed to get a part-time job at M&S.

Now its all about looking into new uni's and rewriting my personal statement.
Original post by Emma2898
Hi everyone,

I was just on student room and this thread came up on the side as latest discussions. My name is Emma and I recently just finished year 13 sixth form and am taking a gap year, and am going to reapply for university this year to hopefully study physiotherapy. Originally I was hoping to go to uni this year however I was unsuccessful from all my 5 uni choices post-interview in getting an offer. Annoying thing is I successfully achieved the grades needed for the course which was ABB, which I was so happy about but had no offers beforehand. However what really limited my chances of getting onto this course is the competitive nature for places on this course. As its such a highly popular course for however very limited spaces, so was lucky to at least make it to all 5 interviews at the time. With over 1000 applications for a 20-50 place course.

During this year I am hoping to build on my volunteering and do a little bit more shadowing of physiotherapists, as I have already done a decent amount following on from this year and last year. Meanwhile to keep me occupied for the year I managed to get a part-time job at M&S.

Hi Emma,

Lovely to hear from you,hope you are well.

From reading your post,i know exactly how you feel about not getting a place,but getting so far.

This year,your application will be stronger. Maybe look at the feedback unis gave you,last year and try and work on those.

What unis did you apply for last year? What unis would you like to apply for this year?

Maybe you could try and get some volunteering in at a local hospital or as a physiotherapy assistant.

Xx
Reply 44
Original post by lilGem
sorry definitely! During my degree I used one note then added on additional notes from textbooks and journals then rewrote in exam format*

Its fine (: Just my lack of knowledge, something I plan to work on this year! What do you consider to be exam format?

One of my lifelong friends has just started at Winchester and absolutely loves it!
Hi,After not securing my place at uni,this year i will be on a second gap year!My plans:-send off uni application (end of this month,beginning of next)-Work as a bank care officer-Volunteer at my local hospital-Volunteer at my local youth club-Sell secondhand clothes etc. On my depop-Sell make up-Also thinking of going on holidayXx

Hi Ola (: Can I just ask about your situation, you say this is your second gap year, so does that mean that you completed A-Levels in 2015? What did you do last year in that case?
Your year sounds very interesting and the holiday seems like a good break. Cornwall is an amazing place (I live fairly near by!) with loads of pretty places to visit! I was about to ask what you were going to study and then realised that that was a fairly pointless question...
Original post by oShahpo
I am currently volunteering with CityYear as a student mentor. Also reading mathematics and physics in my spare time.

What is CityYear? It sounds fairly interesting. Are you reading anything particular at the moment? I presume you are planning on studying Sciences of some sort next year, anywhere in particular you are aiming for?
Original post by francais123
Hey I also live in LondonI'm taking a gap year as I wanted to switch my course, so I have to go do another personal statement and stuff like that ahaMost of my friends are starting this year, so I guess I will feel a little left out at the start but I am hoping that that will subside!I've got a job lined up at the moment in central LondonI'm Sam btw

Hi Sam,

You seem to be in a similar position to me! I too changed course last minute and so am in the process of writing a new personal statement etc, my friends are also all off to uni this year but have plans lined up to see them! Unfortunately where I live is a bit of a contrast to London, being a small village!
Original post by Stecher
Yeah I'm so excited!! Oh so you have a few visits to look forward to, and everyone comes home in December anyway!Ohh that sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to visit Loughborough and see what it's like.I remember that in my sixthform they were telling the year below that they would be using something called ULAS instead of UCAS?!?! What are we meant to use? I'm so baffed haha XD Yeah I need to change it a bit and add in my plans for my gap year, apparently they love hearing about that kind of thing. I really want to write and illustrate a children's book, that would just be so cool, and get it all made up into a real book. I love photography so want to continue that even though t won't be for schoolwork anymore. I also looove musicals and the theatre and I plan to go and see loads more plays and musicals next year!What about you Bryony? xx

Very true, and we have plans to meet up on New Years Eve so that will be amazing!
Loughborough was my firm and if I had got the grades I would have been up there like a shot I think!
What on earth is ULAS? I am going to have to look this up...
The children's book sounds awesome, have you got any ideas yet?

My main hobby is hockey, as in I play at least twice a week xD I also go to Guides and am taking my Leadership Qualification this year. My main aim for this year is to become more cultured and learn more about subjects that as yet haven't sparked my interest (history and geography for example)

Original post by Emma2898
Hi everyone,

Hi Emma!

That all sounds really good (: Fingers crossed for this year and well done on getting the required grades. Did you attempt to go through clearing?
Original post by BryonyG98
Its fine (: Just my lack of knowledge, something I plan to work on this year! What do you consider to be exam format?

One of my lifelong friends has just started at Winchester and absolutely loves it!

Hi Ola (: Can I just ask about your situation, you say this is your second gap year, so does that mean that you completed A-Levels in 2015? What did you do last year in that case?
Your year sounds very interesting and the holiday seems like a good break. Cornwall is an amazing place (I live fairly near by!) with loads of pretty places to visit! I was about to ask what you were going to study and then realised that that was a fairly pointless question...

What is CityYear? It sounds fairly interesting. Are you reading anything particular at the moment? I presume you are planning on studying Sciences of some sort next year, anywhere in particular you are aiming for?

Hi Sam,

You seem to be in a similar position to me! I too changed course last minute and so am in the process of writing a new personal statement etc, my friends are also all off to uni this year but have plans lined up to see them! Unfortunately where I live is a bit of a contrast to London, being a small village!

Very true, and we have plans to meet up on New Years Eve so that will be amazing!
Loughborough was my firm and if I had got the grades I would have been up there like a shot I think!

My main hobby is hockey, as in I play at least twice a week xD I also go to Guides and am taking my Leadership Qualification this year. My main aim for this year is to become more cultured and learn more about subjects that as yet haven't sparked my interest (history and geography for example)

Hi Emma!

That all sounds really good (: Fingers crossed for this year and well done on getting the required grades. Did you attempt to go through clearing?

I am going to study Physics at Imperial next year.
CityYear is a volunteering organisation which trains corps members and assigns them to schools where they work as student mentors.
Reply 46
Hey guys!
I just saw this thread so I thought I would join up! I am now on a gap year and I had finalised my choices for applying to uni this morning but then I found a course at UCL so I am confused again...:wink: I am looking for a job as well as doing volunteering this year! I'm glad I am not the only one experiencing FOMO as everyone moves away!
Reply 47
Original post by oShahpo
I am going to study Physics at Imperial next year.
CityYear is a volunteering organisation which trains corps members and assigns them to schools where they work as student mentors.

Wow, that is certainly impressive!

CityYear sounds like a great organisation, how do you get involved/where is it based?

Hi Sam,

Hi Emma!

Hey,
I completed my a levels in 2015 and received higher grades,then whats required for my course.

Last year,i applied for uni and attended selection days and interviews,but no further. During my time out of education,i have been working as a support worker and volunteering at my local youth club. Just recently got a new job as a care officer.

Xx
Reply 49
Original post by Jehaan
Hey guys!
I just saw this thread so I thought I would join up! I am now on a gap year and I had finalised my choices for applying to uni this morning but then I found a course at UCL so I am confused again...:wink: I am looking for a job as well as doing volunteering this year! I'm glad I am not the only one experiencing FOMO as everyone moves away!

Hi,

What's your name?

Well your still further along than me, I'm still struggling on the course I want to do, which is making personal statement writing very difficult!

Have you got anything lined up for the coming year?
Reply 50
Hey,
I completed my a levels in 2015 and received higher grades,then whats required for my course.

Last year,i applied for uni and attended selection days and interviews,but no further. During my time out of education,i have been working as a support worker and volunteering at my local youth club. Just recently got a new job as a care officer.

Xx

I commend you for persisting, I feel as though I may have given up by now despite the grades!

Hopefully your application will now be stronger and you will know what to expect from the interviews. Good luck!
I commend you for persisting, I feel as though I may have given up by now despite the grades!

Hopefully your application will now be stronger and you will know what to expect from the interviews. Good luck!

Thank you,i am hoping unis see it that way! :smile:

Yes,its already stronger,as i will be volunteering at the youth centre,local hospital and working. Ive also started to practise interview questions etc.

I also have a very good and positive feeling about this year,whereas last year...i was a nervous wreck! :s xx
Reply 52
Thank you,i am hoping unis see it that way! :smile:

Yes,its already stronger,as i will be volunteering at the youth centre,local hospital and working. Ive also started to practise interview questions etc.

I also have a very good and positive feeling about this year,whereas last year...i was a nervous wreck! :s xx

That is certainly good to hear! You will also have a ton of stuff to talk about at interview!
Reply 53

Hi Sam,

Hi Emma!

I meant revision format- but I printed off any past papers I had access to at the start of the year and worked through them with the module :smile: *
That is certainly good to hear! You will also have a ton of stuff to talk about at interview!

Yes,i just cant wait to send off my application and wait for unis responses!

I have wanted to be a childrens nurse for SEVEN years! Ive always said i will do it,which i will. Even if it means i have to do an access course,then thats exactly what i will do.
Reply 55
Yes,i just cant wait to send off my application and wait for unis responses!

I have wanted to be a childrens nurse for SEVEN years! Ive always said i will do it,which i will. Even if it means i have to do an access course,then thats exactly what i will do.

Wow! That is some serious dedication! I mean I guess I am starting to feel that way about teaching but it is still a relatively new idea for me.

Original post by lilGem
I meant revision format- but I printed off any past papers I had access to at the start of the year and worked through them with the module :smile: *

Ahh that makes more sense, thank you for the explanation!
Reply 56
Wow! That is some serious dedication! I mean I guess I am starting to feel that way about teaching but it is still a relatively new idea for me.

Ahh that makes more sense, thank you for the explanation!

it's okay :smile:*

I'm already missing learning new things, being in a lab and such. It feels so weird to not be packing things up *
Reply 57
Original post by lilGem
it's okay :smile:*

I'm already missing learning new things, being in a lab and such. It feels so weird to not be packing things up *

Just think, you can still learn new things, a language perhaps? Read some research articles about your subject for example? Just a few ideas (:
Reply 58
Just think, you can still learn new things, a language perhaps? Read some research articles about your subject for example? Just a few ideas (:

that's very true- I'm teaching myself some basic coding as it will be helpful during the course of a PhD :h:
Yes,i am extremely dedicated!

What kind of teaching do you want to do?

Quick Reply

Latest