The Student Room Group

Home students, how long is your commute?

Luckily for me its 1 bus and a walk away for me so about half an hour.
Reply 1
It used to be about 2 hours with 2 over ground trains and up to three tube trains.
Where I'm living now, a 45 minute walk but a 10 minute tube ride
I'd rather not take the bus because it makes me sick so I actually have no idea how long it'll take
Original post by Napp
It used to be about 2 hours with 2 over ground trains and up to three tube trains.

Lol did u consider getting accomodation?
For me its only a 20 minute walk, and I get to walk through town
Reply 5
Original post by Maths Four Life
Lol did u consider getting accomodation?

Absolutely not! you get bugger all change from 10k a year for a grotty little flat!
Reply 6
500m walk
Original post by Napp
Absolutely not! you get bugger all change from 10k a year for a grotty little flat!

you have never been in that situation so you don't quite understand how littel you can live in if you are smart with your money.
Original post by New- Emperor
you have never been in that situation so you don't quite understand how littel you can live in if you are smart with your money.

true you can do a food shop for £10 - £15 a week if you go at the right time for the most choice on the reduced items and take advantage of things like two for the price of one also for baked goods dumpster diving is a viable option although it's a grey area under UK law some places and coppers don't mind some are a bit anal about it.
Reply 9
Original post by New- Emperor

Let us be frank here
1] Don't assume you know a thing about me or my circumstances.
2] The post is obviously not talking about people who can be completely pauperized this is a general point.

Not to mention you can be as smart and savvy with money as you like you can still loose everything and more if the winds change.
Original post by Maths Four Life
Luckily for me its 1 bus and a walk away for me so about half an hour.

I am really fortunate, for me is 6 minutes away!
2 bus - 30 mins
1 train - 15 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Mine used to be about 30 mins drive. But I changed unis and am now on campus. I do miss commuting though. Nothing beats the comfort and privacy of your own home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
44 mins - 1 hour by train and then walking
Original post by Napp

Assuming you're being serious here, wasn't the cost of travel so high it worked out the same as a flat?
I looked at commuting (very briefly) for my 1.5hrs from home, and the season ticket for the train worked out the same, if not more, as the halls cost for central London.
Walk
Metro link
Train

1.15 hours
Reply 16
Original post by loperdoper
Assuming you're being serious here, wasn't the cost of travel so high it worked out the same as a flat?
I looked at commuting (very briefly) for my 1.5hrs from home, and the season ticket for the train worked out the same, if not more, as the halls cost for central London.

No. I was paying around $10,000 for a 2 bed flat in E1 whilst my season ticket is $4000.
Anyone who maintains London is value for money or affordable is living on another planet.
Not to mention halls aren't counted as i pressume yours are subsidised to the hilt.

Quick Reply

Latest