The Student Room Group

Need to decide by tommorrow if I want to take my hijab off

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
She has just said a few posts above that she doesn't wear the hijab for religious reasons.

Perhaps now her reasons have changed but the initial reason why she wore it was because of religion and that's why she should continue wearing it. But I wonder if she's feeling like this only temporarily or would she take it off forever.
Original post by Turquoise01
Perhaps now her reasons have changed but the initial reason why she wore it was because of religion and that's why she should continue wearing it. But I wonder if she's feeling like this only temporarily or would she take it off forever.

She has just said that her reasons for wearing it are not religious, she used the present tense and not the past.
Good luck, and remember that it will feel strange at first, but that's normal, you will get used to it in some time.
Reply 44
You obviously want to keep it on
My Dearest Sister in Islam

I am just giving you advice as a Muslim sister. My Advice would be not to take the Hijab off... this is YOUR modesty and think about this even if a sister stares at YOU you will get sinned! This is shaytaan playing with you... so what at work if you're the only one thats wearing it yes its intimidating however through this Hijaab someone might be interested in our religion.... And it is mentioned in the Holy Quraan to dress modestly my dear sister. At the end of the day I can only advice you on whats best just keep strong In Shaa Allah and Allah will make it easy for you.

Please forgive me if I have said anything wrong as I didn't mean it!

Jazakillah Khairan
Original post by MiszShortee786

I am just giving you advice as a Muslim sister. My Advice would be not to take the Hijab off... this is YOUR modesty and think about this even if a sister stares at YOU you will get sinned! This is shaytaan playing with you... so what at work if you're the only one thats wearing it yes its intimidating however through this Hijaab someone might be interested in our religion.... And it is mentioned in the Holy Quraan to dress modestly my dear sister. At the end of the day I can only advice you on whats best just keep strong In Shaa Allah and Allah will make it easy for you.

Jazakillah Khairan

You are supposed to translate foreign words sister
Original post by EastGuava
You are supposed to translate foreign words sister

Sorry I will ensure I will in the future
Reply 49
Sorry I will ensure I will in the future

So polite.

I love you
Original post by Truth'
So polite.

I love you

Thank you! :smile:

Jazakillah Khairan

Believe it or not you can dress modestly without a hijab on! I do it every day and I'm still alive!!!
Don't take it off! You ether wear it or now! You do not need to please others its important to remember that! Im sure people talking behind your back wouldn't be nice either!

Good luck x
Attachment not found

This is what I was talking about.

Attachement isn't working. Can you not copy or paste?
Original post by jackymang12345
Don't take it off! You ether wear it or now! You do not need to please others its important to remember that! Im sure people talking behind your back wouldn't be nice either!

Good luck x

Thank you very much for that reply. I just wanted to mention that even if people do talk behind her back its sin for both of them. So I dont think its worth the risk to take it off.
You lot are stressing me out :frown:
And I didn't write this is my initial post because I didn't want a full blown religious debate but seeing as it has already turned into that I might as well say my piece. My sister read around Islam a lot and she left Islam because she didn't find the religion to make any sense whatsoever. She then told me to do my own research instead of blindly following a religion I was born into. This past summer I have been reading around Islam and so many things unnerve me about this religion, why can a man 'plough his field whenever he wants to'? Why did the prophet marry a six year old and have sex with her when she was 9? Why is homosexuality punishable by death? Why can a wife not frown in the presence of her husband but her husband can 'lightly beat her with a miswaak?' So yh in addition to my initial post, I really am starting to become disillusioned with Islam. But again I'm scared of what people will say/do if I take off the hijab. My uncle left islam and became a priest and he was beaten by the community and forced to move elsewhere. His whole family also disowned him so yh I just want to take things one step at a time rn
Original post by Anonymous
And I didn't write this is my initial post because I didn't want a full blown religious debate but seeing as it has already turned into that I might as well say my piece. My sister read around Islam a lot and she left Islam because she didn't find the religion to make any sense whatsoever. She then told me to do my own research instead of blindly following a religion I was born into. This past summer I have been reading around Islam and so many things unnerve me about this religion, why can a man 'plough his field whenever he wants to'? Why did the prophet marry a six year old and have sex with her when she was 9? Why is homosexuality punishable by death? Why can a wife not frown in the presence of her husband but her husband can 'lightly beat her with a miswaak?' So yh in addition to my initial post, I really am starting to become disillusioned with Islam. But again I'm scared of what people will say/do if I take off the hijab. My uncle left islam and became a priest and he was beaten by the community and forced to move elsewhere. His whole family also disowned him so yh I just want to take things one step at a time rn

Is your mum ok with your sister leaving Islam? If she is then respect to her. Muslim communities need more people like your mother.
Reply 58
Basically, I've been wearing the hijab since primary school. I'm 19 now and I'm going to enrol for uni tommorrow. This summer I've been comtemplating taking the hijab off. I'm not a particulary devout muslim and I just feel like the hijab is a barrier. At work there are no other hijabis and I just feel out of place at times. A lot of the times people make assumptions about me based on the hijab when I usually believe in the complete opposite.

My mums fine with me taking it off but I'm really scared. I'm going to be commuting from home to uni. I live in a tight knit muslim community and I went to school with most of them (majority of them will also be attending the same uni as me)..A lot of them are brutal when it comes to things like this.. I pretty much know that they're going to stare and brand me a **** and I'm just not ready for that. Also ngl the men here are creepy perves. My sister who doesn't wear a scarf gets wolf whistled, stared at and on a couple of occassions has been followed. Right now wearing the scarf is protecting me from all that crap.

My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf :frown:

You're going to get both very different opinions on here.
Muslims on one hand will tell you to keep it on, non Muslims on the other will tell you to ditch it.
This will probably confuse you even more.

I think the problem is you don't understand the reasoning behind wearing the hijab. You're just wearing it because you were told you had to, or for some other reason which has led you to wear it just for the sake of it.

Before you make your decision just make an effort to research why Allah (SWT) has sent down this command, what the actual purpose is behind wearing it and why it's important.
Have a read online and offline, and watch some videos to help you.
Then make your decision after this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter what people say. Forget about the community. you do get plenty of Muslim girls who were once hijabjs that aren't anymore. I swear it's this Islamic community that is the root of all the poison in your religion. Also surely if you remain a hijabi because of what your community will say then you're not doing it for the right reasons and surely your God will know this. He'll know your heart really isn't in it even if you're physically wearing one. You need to take a step back and think if you're wearing your hijab for God and you or for those ignorant people around you
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending