The Student Room Group

Revising using post-it notes? Unusual revision methods?

Hiya!

Many of the people I've spoken to have recommended using post-it notes to revise for my A-Levels. So, my question is, how exactly can I use post-it notes to revise?

Does anyone have any unusual revision methods/strategies? I'm not looking for the common mind maps, flashcards, summaries, notes, but perhaps something I may not have thought of or even heard about? E.g. Leitner method.

My subjects are Biology, Psychology, and Sociology, so perhaps you could recommend specific revision methods for each course? I've heard past papers and examiners reports are very good for Biology, flash cards are good for Sociology and mind maps are good for Psychology, but obviously they're quite common methods of revision, so do you have any other ideas to add?

Sorry if I was repetitive. Thank you for any ideas/help you can give x
Original post by Clueless<3
Hiya!

Many of the people I've spoken to have recommended using post-it notes to revise for my A-Levels. So, my question is, how exactly can I use post-it notes to revise?

Does anyone have any unusual revision methods/strategies? I'm not looking for the common mind maps, flashcards, summaries, notes, but perhaps something I may not have thought of or even heard about? E.g. Leitner method.

My subjects are Biology, Psychology, and Sociology, so perhaps you could recommend specific revision methods for each course? I've heard past papers and examiners reports are very good for Biology, flash cards are good for Sociology and mind maps are good for Psychology, but obviously they're quite common methods of revision, so do you have any other ideas to add?

Sorry if I was repetitive. Thank you for any ideas/help you can give x

Depends on which subjects you do. Say for maths you can write small formulas on there and stick it on your mirror or something you look at every morning.

One different method I use for revision is recording myself talking. Its great for subjects like yours where you need to understand events/theories and explain it. It can be kind of annoying hearing your own voice but overtime you'll get used to it.

So it works in this format:

1. Record yourself talking - don't be afraid to re-record if you feel like first recording wasn't informative enough. Keep recording again and again till you get the best recording. Also do this in bits. So section 1 all in one recording. Whatever suits you.

2. Listen to your recordings - instead of listening to music when commuting or relaxing it would be much better if you listen to your recordings. Make the most out of your time.

3. Make notes - once you feel confident with your knowledge on the recordings then write up everything you know from that recording. Then listen back to your recording and fill in the bits you missed out with a different colour pen.

Btw don't think that if a revision methos works for most people then it would work for you too. It is different for everyone.

Good luck. :h:
Original post by undercxver
Depends on which subjects you do. Say for maths you can write small formulas on there and stick it on your mirror or something you look at every morning.

One different method I use for revision is recording myself talking. Its great for subjects like yours where you need to understand events/theories and explain it. It can be kind of annoying hearing your own voice but overtime you'll get used to it.

So it works in this format:

1. Record yourself talking - don't be afraid to re-record if you feel like first recording wasn't informative enough. Keep recording again and again till you get the best recording. Also do this in bits. So section 1 all in one recording. Whatever suits you.

2. Listen to your recordings - instead of listening to music when commuting or relaxing it would be much better if you listen to your recordings. Make the most out of your time.

3. Make notes - once you feel confident with your knowledge on the recordings then write up everything you know from that recording. Then listen back to your recording and fill in the bits you missed out with a different colour pen.

Btw don't think that if a revision methos works for most people then it would work for you too. It is different for everyone.

Good luck. :h:

Thank you for your reply :smile: Do you use Voice Memos (iPhone), an app or an audio device to do this?

I will definitely be giving this a go x
I revised with post it notes as well :h:
I like to have different areas for each subject in my house e.g. my bedroom was filled with Psychology post-its, the Kitchen was filled with Bio and Maths, and the Living room was covered with Chemistry :lol:

Depends how you like to revise, my friends preferred to not use them.
I liked to write down key concepts in note form and tried to memorise a few of them every time I walked past. Then I would test myself before I entered one of the rooms to see how much I remembered. It's great! I used it for my GCSEs as well :smile:

Have you checked the specification online? E.g. Most of my courses were from AQA so whilst revising, I would cross-check that I haven't missed out anything. It's useful because they can't ask you anything on the exam that's not on the spec.

I also revised quite a lot with my mum. Friend's are helpful but they're not always going to be there with you so I would give my mum cards with info written on there to randomly test me.

I can't think of anything else :colondollar:

Good luck! :borat:

edit: like Undercxver said, voice memos are incredibly useful :yep: It's great to listen to them whilst walking to school - I just used the recording app that's pre-installed with the phone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Namita Gurung
I revised with post it notes as well :h:
I like to have different areas for each subject in my house e.g. my bedroom was filled with Psychology post-its, the Kitchen was filled with Bio and Maths, and the Living room was covered with Chemistry :lol:

Depends how you like to revise, my friends preferred to not use them.
I liked to write down key concepts in note form and tried to memorise a few of them every time I walked past. Then I would test myself before I entered one of the rooms to see how much I remembered. It's great! I used it for my GCSEs as well :smile:

Have you checked the specification online? E.g. Most of my courses were from AQA so whilst revising, I would cross-check that I haven't missed out anything. It's useful because they can't ask you anything on the exam that's not on the spec.

I also revised quite a lot with my mum. Friend's are helpful but they're not always going to be there with you so I would give my mum cards with info written on there to randomly test me.

I can't think of anything else :colondollar:

Good luck! :borat:

edit: like Undercxver said, voice memos are incredibly useful :yep: It's great to listen to them whilst walking to school - I just used the recording app that's pre-installed with the phone.

Having different subjects in different rooms is a good idea! I also like the sound of testing myself before I go into a room.

I've tried to find the spec for my courses online (OCR Sociology, AQA Psychology and WJEC Biology) but I can't find them? I can only find the specs for the old A-Levels.

I'm going to be giving all your advice a go, thank you for your help and reply!x
Having different subjects in different rooms is a good idea! I also like the sound of testing myself before I go into a room.

I've tried to find the spec for my courses online (OCR Sociology, AQA Psychology and WJEC Biology) but I can't find them? I can only find the specs for the old A-Levels.

I'm going to be giving all your advice a go, thank you for your help and reply!x

I've attached the one for Psychology.

Did it not come up even when you typed in New specification for A level [subject]?
Original post by Namita Gurung
I've attached the one for Psychology.

Did it not come up even when you typed in New specification for A level [subject]?

Thank you :smile:

I wasn't sure which one it was? I can see Psychology A, Psychology B, Psychology AS/A Level. Also, I'm a bit rubbish with technology haha! TSR is pushing it:laugh:

Edit: How did you break down and work from the spec? There is so much writing!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you :smile:

I wasn't sure which one it was? I can see Psychology A, Psychology B, Psychology AS/A Level. Also, I'm a bit rubbish with technology haha! TSR is pushing it:laugh:

No probs man. With the new spec and all, some are hard to find

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending