The Student Room Group

History and Modern languages study/personal statement

Hello,

I am going to apply for History and modern languages this year. However, I am not sure which language to pick exactly. So for my personal statement, should I already make it clear which language I want to study, or can I mention a number of languages?

(I am fluent in Spanish, Russian and I am learning German), so not sure which one to pick.
Reply 1
Original post by almannac
Hello,

I am going to apply for History and modern languages this year. However, I am not sure which language to pick exactly. So for my personal statement, should I already make it clear which language I want to study, or can I mention a number of languages?

(I am fluent in Spanish, Russian and I am learning German), so not sure which one to pick.

Your personal statement is limited to 4000 characters. You'll spend approximately 1000 characters on your extra curricular activities, which leaves 3000 characters. If you then speak about history and one language, you can give them 1500 characters each. If you speak about 2 languages, that's down to 1000 characters. And if you mention history and all 3 languages, you get very little space to spend on each.

So try to narrow it down as much as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest