The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMagicRat
:lol: at people going on about the Raiders being brave to go for 2. It should be much more common in a situation like that. For me it comes down to one question, "What better opportunity are you waiting for to win the game?" and once you've answered that correctly then I don't know why you wouldn't go for 2.

Agree with this, and also agree with Del Rio here.

From an analytics point of view, the correct analysis would be something like this: "For the Raiders' decision to go for 2 to be correct, they must believe that it is seven percentage points more favourable than the historical norm."

Their running back is a prototypical short yardage back with 99th percentile height, 73rd percentile weight and 95th percentile for all his 40 splits. Then they have two good red zone receivers and a decent QB. Given the score was 33-34, both offenses were clearly matching up better than average against the opposing D. If they could come up with a formula to factor in all of that information, the analytics would almost certainly say going for 2 is more favourable. I think it's a shame when analytics people try to step outside their lanes, because they already have limited credibility and they do actually have some good stuff to contribute. They shouldn't be making 140 character "strong take" style tweets.
Reply 2441
ESPN Analytics tweeted after didn't they that there was a 6.___% better chance of the winning the game kicking the XP. Del Rio replied saying "Good Job you don't coach the Raiders" or something equally spicy.
Yeah that's what I linked.
Reply 2443
I didn't click the link :facepalm:
Reply 2444
How does Greg Roman manage to get fired in Week 2 and Rob Ryan who everyone knows is a bang average DC survives despite his D giving up 37 points against the Jets? Rex is the ringmaster of the circus and always will be with moves like this.

Louisville are rolling FSU right now. Still early but this would be a big upset. It's 42-10. This is why true freshmen don't start at QB for #2 ranked teams. In all fairness it's not all on Francois. Louisville are winning every phase of the game. 49-10 Jaire Alexander doing his best Devin Hester impression, nearly returned a 2nd punt for a TD. This has been WILD.
(edited 7 years ago)
I said it before and I'll say it again, College Football is better than NFL.

There's more intrigue. Coaching decisions are more agressive, and there's plenty of wild games going on, and everyone in America has a connection to some team or another.

Pick any state from that Florida State drubbing, and it is not good for the Seminoles. But, in 1945, #2 Notre Dame were facing #1 Army, and lost 48-0. That dubious honour was almost matched tonight. The 62pts conceded were the most iFSU's illustrious history.

The Bama-Ole Miss game was a humdinger though. Jalen Hurts is going to be special. That game had everything. A terrific goal line stand, an 88 yard punt return, 75 yard lineman pick-six, Archie Manning, over 150 plays of offense,long rushes by Hurts and Damien Harris, a recovered onside kick followed by a hail mary, a few fumble rumbles, Nick Saban winning, and Lane Kiffin blending spread and hurry up concepts with power. As much as I hate to say it, Chad Kelly's draft stock just rose a ton tonight. GLAD Bama don't have to play him and the Landsharks anymore. 24-3 Ole Miss led, just a few minutes before the Half. Alabama came back, dominating until 4.00 to go in Q4...and then Ole Miss still nearly came back.
Original post by jammy4041
I said it before and I'll say it again, College Football is better than NFL.

There's more intrigue. Coaching decisions are more agressive, and there's plenty of wild games going on, and everyone in America has a connection to some team or another.

Pick any state from that Florida State drubbing, and it is not good for the Seminoles. But, in 1945, #2 Notre Dame were facing #1 Army, and lost 48-0. That dubious honour was almost matched tonight. The 62pts conceded were the most iFSU's illustrious history.

The Bama-Ole Miss game was a humdinger though. Jalen Hurts is going to be special. That game had everything. A terrific goal line stand, an 88 yard punt return, 75 yard lineman pick-six, Archie Manning, over 150 plays of offense,long rushes by Hurts and Damien Harris, a recovered onside kick followed by a hail mary, a few fumble rumbles, Nick Saban winning, and Lane Kiffin blending spread and hurry up concepts with power. As much as I hate to say it, Chad Kelly's draft stock just rose a ton tonight. GLAD Bama don't have to play him and the Landsharks anymore. 24-3 Ole Miss led, just a few minutes before the Half. Alabama came back, dominating until 4.00 to go in Q4...and then Ole Miss still nearly came back.

College football is basically standing in the middle of the ring throwing punches until one team is ko'd

NFL is more of a mayweather fight
Original post by joecphillips
College football is basically standing in the middle of the ring throwing punches until one team is ko'd

NFL is more of a mayweather fight

Agreed. NFL does have more quality, and all the athleticism is equalised.

How about Christian McCaffrey, though? 200+ all purpose yards. He should win the Heisman, but there are a lot of deserving candidates.
Reply 2448
Original post by jammy4041
Agreed. NFL does have more quality, and all the athleticism is equalised.

How about Christian McCaffrey, though? 200+ all purpose yards. He should win the Heisman, but there are a lot of deserving candidates.

I don't think we're getting one of those unanimous decisions for the Heisman this year. Lamar Jackson was pretty much untackleable for Louisville too. I think I'll always prefer NFL because that's what I knew first and because in the UK it's hard to build an affinity with a college team, you can't even pledge support based on liking a particular player because player turnover is so high so I have to watch as a neutral who usually likes an underdog victory which is never as compelling as having your support firmly behind one team.
Oooft its gameday again! First full one for me, having been away last week and only catching snippits. Red Zone for the 6pms, Bucs on after. Hoping to see the Panthers and Saints lose again early, but surely Cam will do a job on the 9ers?
College ball is great, but you can't beat the quality and production values of the NFL.
Does anyone look worse than the titans right now?
Original post by ..DT..
Does anyone look worse than the titans right now?

Miami?
Yeah but they are playing the pats. From what I remember they seem be notoriously poor vs them. Titans just look toothless on both sides of the ball.
Original post by ..DT..
Yeah but they are playing the pats. From what I remember they seem be notoriously poor vs them. Titans just look toothless on both sides of the ball.

True I remembered they lost last week and didn't score many points but that was against the Seahawks.
Whoever said Miami look like one of the worst teams in the league looks like an idiot now.
Patriots are going to run out of QBs at this rate
Original post by Monkey_Pete
Patriots are going to run out of QBs at this rate

We always have Jules
Reply 2458
The Jags run D is getting murdered early. This was supposed to be a good run D. And Melvin Gordon is on my fantasy bench for that reason. If this is how it's going to be the Jags are going to get rinsed. Now Jared Odrick is injured, oh god, all of last weeks hope is evaporating.
(edited 7 years ago)
Back to real life as a Tampa fan.

Quick Reply

Latest