The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I NEED QR HELP! I am soooo bad at mental maths and i need to speed up the rate at which i answer questions as the rate is letting me down :frown:
Should i just practice using the calc or would u recommend that i get into the habit of answering without a calc and do it mentally?
please help i have my exam on the 4th and QR is my weakest section
Original post by mm_7
I NEED QR HELP! I am soooo bad at mental maths and i need to speed up the rate at which i answer questions as the rate is letting me down :frown:
Should i just practice using the calc or would u recommend that i get into the habit of answering without a calc and do it mentally?
please help i have my exam on the 4th and QR is my weakest section

What I found is that the hardest questions are at the beginning... so I've developed a method (wtf i sound like a mad scientist lmao) which is basically AS SOON as you see complex data flag and move on to the simpler ones - so you're not wasting valuable time freaking out. By doing the simple percentage calculations you're easing into it and remember it's not about being able to do every question flawlessly - there will be some questions that you just won't get (keep these for the end). Just focus on accumulating marks. Everything else is additional.
Original post by Nuba123
What I found is that the hardest questions are at the beginning... so I've developed a method (wtf i sound like a mad scientist lmao) which is basically AS SOON as you see complex data flag and move on to the simpler ones - so you're not wasting valuable time freaking out. By doing the simple percentage calculations you're easing into it and remember it's not about being able to do every question flawlessly - there will be some questions that you just won't get (keep these for the end). Just focus on accumulating marks. Everything else is additional.

Thanks for the advice! have you already done your exam?
Original post by mm_7
Thanks for the advice! have you already done your exam?

Nope! I've got it tomorrow morning! I'm absolutely bricking it. lol.
Original post by Nuba123

Don't worry about it, i'm sure you'll do great! Just stay calm, eat well and drink lots :biggrin: (Ofc not right before the exam, then you'll really need a pee the entire thing :wink: )
Original post by Nuba123

Oh god, good luck !!! i'm sure you'll do great!!! :smile:
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Don't worry about it, i'm sure you'll do great! Just stay calm, eat well and drink lots :biggrin: (Ofc not right before the exam, then you'll really need a pee the entire thing :wink: )

Thanks! OMG THAT HAPPENED TO MY FRIEND... lol but worst case scenario I just give up, leave the test centre and live in a bin for the rest of my days. Just kidding I'll probably take a gap year or something. :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Thanks! OMG THAT HAPPENED TO MY FRIEND... lol but worst case scenario I just give up, leave the test centre and live in a bin for the rest of my days. Just kidding I'll probably take a gap year or something. :biggrin:

😂😂 omg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mm_7
Oh god, good luck !!! i'm sure you'll do great!!! :smile:

Thank you! I hope you do really well! Gosh this whole process is a bit much isn't it? Wish I could do something else but I can't see myself doing anything else. Honestly, I just love people. That's so weird when I say it but that's the highlight of the whole thing - helping people when they need it most. Just being there when they need someone to trust. x Also, old people are the best. I'm just rambling now... :biggrin:
Medify is by far the best resource i found.
Just to note, however, the VR questions are a little bit easier (They won't give you any really obscure ones) but the passages are longer. So, i really recommend you practice speed reading - newspapers, articles and whatnot.
For quantitative reasoning, don't worry! The questions are a lot easier than those found on medify and the mocks. To put this into perspective, the preliminary average this year was 700 for QR. What i really recommend you do for this section is learn the shortcuts as it essentially grants you an extra minute:
Alt+C to open the calculator (As it will close every time you click next)
Cntrl+P for previous questions
Cntrl+N for Next
Cntrl+F to Flag
This means you don't have to keep moving your cursor, which wastes time.
For the T/F questions, Scan Scan Scan! For the part 2 questions, i would not recommend reading the whole passages as they are quite long and would take about 90-100 seconds to read, which would not give you enough time to answer the questions. It might be a good idea to flag the really long ones and come back to them later (e.g. Which one is the author most likely to agree/disagree with). However, some of the type 2 are scannable (e.g. Why did mercury crash into the sun - scan for mercury, look for the reason). Just really practice speed reading :biggrin:

You do get marks for partially correct questions in SJT!

Thank you. Really appreciate it
Does anyone know if the UKCAT cut off points are usually lower for dentistry than medicine?
Anyone need any tips, just ask :biggrin: I'll be on for the next few hours!

My test is on the 27th, any way I can really improve my VR? Just by continuing the questions? DO you suggest reading something else as well?

Thanks!
Seems like a lot of you guys have it tomorrow. Good luck to all.

I haven't sat it yet but my advice as to what I would do is practice some AR (maybe 50 questions) and go over your notes if you made any.

I would use the Decision Analysis break as a toilet break and to write down any mnemonics etc. When I say toilet break, for me it would be washing my face with water and waking myself up even more :smile:

Best of luck and DO NOT PANIC. Pls remember your ID too guys -_-. Heard of ppl forgetting it.

@Nuba123 good luck (having seen you on so many higher threads last year)
You guys should enter your results on the TSR poll for UKCAT 2017 so ppl can make estimates of averages (like they have been doing for so long)
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
My test is on the 27th, any way I can really improve my VR? Just by continuing the questions? DO you suggest reading something else as well?

Thanks!

Yep, practice practice practice! Don't worry about it though, everyone struggles on VR :smile: Read on your way to school, read on the way home, read the newspaper in the morning and read books at lunch. If you work hard, you'll do great - don't worry! :biggrin:
Original post by Archie2004
Does anyone know if the UKCAT cut off points are usually lower for dentistry than medicine?

I think they usually are
Oh yeah, super important:

YOU NEED ID ON THE DAY
DO NOT FORGET!
CHECK ON THE UKCAT WEBSITE FOR IDs THAT THEY ACCEPT
GOOD LUCK!
Original post by .......Jeff458
Seems like a lot of you guys have it tomorrow. Good luck to all.

I haven't sat it yet but my advice as to what I would do is practice some AR (maybe 50 questions) and go over your notes if you made any.

I would use the Decision Analysis break as a toilet break and to write down any mnemonics etc. When I say toilet break, for me it would be washing my face with water and waking myself up even more :smile:

Best of luck and DO NOT PANIC. Pls remember your ID too guys -_-. Heard of ppl forgetting it.

@Nuba123 good luck (having seen you on so many higher threads last year)

Thanks for the @! I know right I'm literally everywhere... Good luck for yours too! Honestly you're not going to need it you seem like the prepared and constantly motivated type - unlike myself. :biggrin:
Oh yeah, super important:

YOU NEED ID ON THE DAY
DO NOT FORGET!
CHECK ON THE UKCAT WEBSITE FOR IDs THAT THEY ACCEPT
GOOD LUCK!

is just taking a passport enough or do they need more id?
Original post by Nuba123
Thank you! I hope you do really well! Gosh this whole process is a bit much isn't it? Wish I could do something else but I can't see myself doing anything else. Honestly, I just love people. That's so weird when I say it but that's the highlight of the whole thing - helping people when they need it most. Just being there when they need someone to trust. x Also, old people are the best. I'm just rambling now... :biggrin:

haha ... yehh i know i wanna be a doc so bad :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending