The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi my name is Ajanth and I am doing AQA for all sciences so this may not help those doing different boards.
I've done physics and biology isa paper 1 and 2. Pretty easy. Just need to do a graph and table which basically everyone gets full marks. You will be given time in class to fill a research sheet based on the context given to you by the school. Physics is about friction and how different surfaces can affect speed. Biology is about rate of respiration. For both of these you need to plan an experiment and know what you would do. You won't actually do your experiment but instead everyone does the same experiment in class. Based on these results you will need to fill your table and draw a graph. Just look up mark schemes, past papers( a lot of questions are repeated every two years so I was prepared) also revise key terminology(just search e.g. physics terms. Definitions) hope this helps you. I am yet to do chemistry but I know that it involves rate of reaction.
Original post by Ajanth.T
Hi my name is Ajanth and I am doing AQA for all sciences so this may not help those doing different boards.
I've done physics and biology isa paper 1 and 2. Pretty easy. Just need to do a graph and table which basically everyone gets full marks. You will be given time in class to fill a research sheet based on the context given to you by the school. Physics is about friction and how different surfaces can affect speed. Biology is about rate of respiration. For both of these you need to plan an experiment and know what you would do. You won't actually do your experiment but instead everyone does the same experiment in class. Based on these results you will need to fill your table and draw a graph. Just look up mark schemes, past papers( a lot of questions are repeated every two years so I was prepared) also revise key terminology(just search e.g. physics terms. Definitions) hope this helps you. I am yet to do chemistry but I know that it involves rate of reaction.

Every year, there's three different ISAs for every science. Schools pick different ones.
Reply 622
Original post by Snowystar
Hi I am Snowystar and I am in year 11. I really love to stargaze and I really love history with science and maths. I also enjoy reading, especially the Lorien Legacies (now completed). I have already done a couple of GCSEs and an AS Level (which was really tricky and done in the third of a time of a normal student) and I really want to get the highest grades possible. Below is a list of the GCSEs I have taken and the exam board:

Maths (AQA)
Triple science which is Biology Chemistry and Physics (AQA)
English literature (AQA)
English language (AQA)
Geography (AQA A)
History (AQA)
German (AQA)
Graphics or graphic design (OCR)

GCSEs I have already taken
Citizenship (I got a B, taken in year 8)
Statistics (Got a B, taken in year 10 - one mark off an A 😭)

My target grades are as follows:

Maths 9
English (both) 7+ pushing into 8
Sciences (all 3) A*
Geography A
History A
German A
Graphics A

My likely grades
Maths 8+
English 7
Sciences A*3
Geography B1
History A3
German B1
Graphics A3

I definitely do not feel ready to take my GCSEs especially the new ones since they are so much harder than the old ones. Hopefully I will get good enough GCSEs to achieve my dream of becoming an astronomer. 😀

The subject I am suffering most with is German right now. I have to learn 120 words a week to help with my vocab as it is my weakest subject (I am a pass but would like to achieve the highest grades). If anyone knows any revision tips for German please help.

My strongest subjects are the sciences and maths so I could help a few people there. I'm ok at all of my other subjects too.

Many thanks Snowystar

I do aqa German too and I find memorise really helps for learning the vocab ( there's an aqua German GCSE vocab course) because you can do it whenever in short sessions. Have you started the coursework?
Has anyone found out what they got in their math pixel exam (mark and number)?
I got a 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In year 11, hoping to get these grades:

Maths - B
English Lit - B
English Lang - B
Business Studies - A/A*
Computer Science - A*
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - B/A
History - B/A
RE - B/A

My favourite subjects are computer science & history :smile:
How many papers are we doing for AQA english lit and lang? And what are the 'themes' of them. Thanks :smile:
Original post by pinkypaz123
How many papers are we doing for AQA english lit and lang? And what are the 'themes' of them. Thanks :smile:

There are two each, if I remember correctly, although I'm unsure how they differ.

Original post by iHammmy
In year 11, hoping to get these grades:

Maths - B
English Lit - B
English Lang - B
Business Studies - A/A*
Computer Science - A*
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
Physics - B/A
History - B/A
RE - B/A

My favourite subjects are computer science & history :smile:

Cool, are you planning on taking CS further, ie. to A-level or otherwise
Original post by _gcx
There are two each, if I remember correctly, although I'm unsure how they differ.

Thank you!
Original post by _gcx

Yep, hoping to do it at A-levle and then study something computer related at uni.

What about you? :smile:
Original post by iHammmy
Yep, hoping to do it at A-levle and then study something computer related at uni.

What about you? :smile:

Pretty much same, I'm planning to do Maths/CS-based A-levels, then a Maths/CS-based degree!
Original post by _gcx
Pretty much same, I'm planning to do Maths/CS-based A-levels, then a Maths/CS-based degree!

Nice, what exam board are you using for computer science GCSE?
Original post by iHammmy
Nice, what exam board are you using for computer science GCSE?

I didn't take CS for GCSE unfortunately, as my school didn't offer it. I'm planning on going to a partner school (in combination with my current school) to take A-level CS.
Original post by _gcx
I didn't take CS for GCSE unfortunately, as my school didn't offer it. I'm planning on going to a partner school (in combination with my current school) to take A-level CS.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by iHammmy
Good luck :smile:

Thanks! Good luck to you too! :biggrin:

For English lit:
Paper 1 is Shakespeare and the 19th Century Novel
Paper 2 is the Modern Text/Prose and Poetry

For English Lang:
Paper 1 is reading and writing Fiction
Paper 2 is reading and writing non-fiction or literary non-fiction
Original post by BobBobson
For English lit:

For English Lang:

Thanks :smile:. Well I'm screwed on Lit paper 1- don't understand Shakespeare at all
Thanks :smile:. Well I'm screwed on Lit paper 1- don't understand Shakespeare at all

I'm screwed on both lmao
Hi, I know this is very late but I'm choc.chip.cookie I'm taking 10 GCSEs:

Maths - Edexcel
English Lang - AQA
English Lit - AQA
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - AQA
Geography - AQA
French - AQA
Fine Art - AQA
History - OCR

At college I would like to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and either French, Psychology or Fine Art.

:tongue:
Original post by BobBobson
For English lit:

For English Lang:

So is that either Jekyll & Hyde or An Inspector Calls?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 639
Original post by choc.chip.cookie
So is that either Macbeth or An Inspector Calls?

Google English Literature GCSE 9-1 and you can find the spec. Hope that helps :smile:

Latest