The Student Room Group

Religious bias in Personal Statements? (Dentistry)

Poll

Take it out?

Hi,

My greatest achievement is memorising the Holy Quran - taking me over 3 years in a foreign language. Now initially - I had mentioned it in my personal statement but an admissions tutor and a friend of mine asked me to remove it.

They said it might cause 'religious bias' and it could be very risky to put in the statement. But after all - it is my GREATEST achievement and it'll hurt to take out.

However, if it is the right thing to do to maximise my chances of getting accepted in dental school then may it be...

What do you think?
I dont get how it is relevant to dentistry though
Reply 2
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
I dont get how it is relevant to dentistry though

Dedication? Commitment?
Reply 3
It is irrelevant tbh, however i'm sure you could say it has strengthened your memory skills. either way I wouldn't put it in, uni's claim to be religiously impartial but i'm not so sure. it seems a risk when surely you could say far more relevant things.
It's not relevant to dentistry so take it out, you need to use the space on things like work experience.
Reply 5
Original post by tg1998
It is irrelevant tbh, however i'm sure you could say it has strengthened your memory skills. either way I wouldn't put it in, uni's claim to be religiously impartial but i'm not so sure. it seems a risk when surely you could say far more relevant things.

I mean yeah I see what you mean :/
You shouldn't put any part of your PS on here, as it will get cached by google. However, as others have said, it doesn't add anything to your PS. You can show dedication etc. through other ways that are more applicable to dentistry (work experience, volunteering etc.)
I just don't see how it adds anything to your personal statement or relevance to dentistry. You'd be much better off writing about a book you read relating to dentistry or healthcare
Reply 8
wise words ^^^
Original post by cshuayb
Also in my free time, I memorised the Quran. It took me 3 years to memorise 850 pages of Arabic. Boasting over 6000 verses - it is my proudest achievement. Alongside this - I enjoy practicing Arabic calligraphy. Furthermore, I am able to lead prayers demonstrating leadership skills.

This is directly from my personal statement... So is it not worth it? The calligraphy part is also showing manual dexterity???

Either way I feel like i can trust your opinion so thank you :smile:

Well it is on the internet now and will be marked as plagiarism anyway so not worth putting
Reply 10
Well it is on the internet now and will be marked as plagiarism anyway so not worth putting

Oh ffs :colondollar:
Reply 11
First of all congrats on such a big achievement :smile:

However don't put it in your p.s, it's futile as it doesn't relate to your course at all.

The only place I would add it is in your CV, where you can say you have an interest in learning languages or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by HAnwar
First of all congrats on such a big achievement :smile:

However don't put it in your p.s, it's futile as it doesn't relate to your course at all.

The only place I would add it is in your CV, where you can say you have an interest in learning languages or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand. Thank you so much :frown:
I think it's very good! Forget the superficial stuff like it showing "memory skills" or "dedication". That kind of approach to it is pathetic. It shows you are a person with a substance, and with a passion! That you have values, that you already care deeply about something in your life. Of course, tie it to dentistry, show that it is dentistry you want to pursue, and not religion alone (they count on training you to become a dentist after all). Like, say you want to tie religious teachings to medical education of future generations- who knows? With something like that I think your PS will stand out. but then again, you are appyling to the most soulless course ever, so who knows what to expect.
Reply 14
Hardly bias. How does it answer the question "why dentistry"? It doesn't, so use the space to talk about something more productive, like work experience.

BUT let's draw something out of it. You're now fluent in Arabic? That can be included somehow I'm sure!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15

:colone: sneaky
Original post by cshuayb
I understand. Thank you so much :frown:

They are all missing the pachyderm in the surgery.

One of the key things for dentistry students to show is manual dexterity; model making, fly tying, needlework; anything that shows the manipulation of equipment using fine motor skills.

You need to mention your calligraphic skills, not for its religious importance but to show that you have good trained fine manual skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending