The Student Room Group

Geography at Cambridge?

Hey all, I was wondering what GCSE and AS UMS percentages are around the average for successful Geography applicants?

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Heya,

Most colleges ask for AAA* or equivalent at A level but offers are given before results so it can be confusing to know what's needed However, GCSEs aren't all that important. There are, as expected, lots of people that got straight A and A*s but very few admissions tutors look at GCSEs. The average number of As is something like 5 at GCSE (so said an admissions tutor from Cambridge who visited my school when I was Y11) but again that isn't something offers are based on. A lot of tutors say they look for improvement between GCSE and AS level. When looking at who to invite for interview, tutors look for an average of I *think* 80-85/100 UMS across all your AS subjects (so you could get 100 in one and 65 in another and be invited for example) but I would imagine this varies depending on the calibre of interviewees each year and by college. ~ 90% of applicants are interviewed.

Acceptance is based little on AS grades or predicted A Level grades. Most of the judgement is based on interview and lots of other little categories so if you get to interview stage, results are of less importance than you might think. Even your A Level grades are somewhat unimportant. At my college, one of the geographers got a B overall in their A Level Geography and they're doing just fine. So yeah, an average of 80/100 UMS ish would be good and almost definitely guarantee you an interview, but if you don't have that it wouldn't be worth not applying. And yeah, beyond interview stage, results matter very little! Hope that helps! x
Reply 2
Original post by jessfrance
Heya,

Most colleges ask for AAA* or equivalent at A level but offers are given before results so it can be confusing to know what's needed However, GCSEs aren't all that important. There are, as expected, lots of people that got straight A and A*s but very few admissions tutors look at GCSEs. The average number of As is something like 5 at GCSE (so said an admissions tutor from Cambridge who visited my school when I was Y11) but again that isn't something offers are based on. A lot of tutors say they look for improvement between GCSE and AS level. When looking at who to invite for interview, tutors look for an average of I *think* 80-85/100 UMS across all your AS subjects (so you could get 100 in one and 65 in another and be invited for example) but I would imagine this varies depending on the calibre of interviewees each year and by college. ~ 90% of applicants are interviewed.

Acceptance is based little on AS grades or predicted A Level grades. Most of the judgement is based on interview and lots of other little categories so if you get to interview stage, results are of less importance than you might think. Even your A Level grades are somewhat unimportant. At my college, one of the geographers got a B overall in their A Level Geography and they're doing just fine. So yeah, an average of 80/100 UMS ish would be good and almost definitely guarantee you an interview, but if you don't have that it wouldn't be worth not applying. And yeah, beyond interview stage, results matter very little! Hope that helps! x

Thank you so much!!
Reply 3
Original post by SSpringer20
Hey all, I was wondering what GCSE and AS UMS percentages are around the average for successful Geography applicants?

Thanks.

Here you go (this is History but Geog will be similar)

1424008747809.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Just to add acceptance is based a lot on your academic achievements. The interview is important too. But most will have average >85 best 3 UMS to get an interview, and most successful applicants are >93.

Also, you might find this interesting

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/geography_course_admissions?unfold=1

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Here you go (this is History but Geog will be similar)

1424008747809.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep definitively not applying now : ( I feel positively stupid now for even considering it.

Regardless Thank you for posting this, it was most informative.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CallousCleric
Yep definitively not applying now : ( I feel positively stupid now for even considering it.

Regardless Thank you for posting this, it was most informative.

Well hold on a sec. Dont worry about GCSEs.

What course are you considering? With what A-levels and what are your predicted grades? And achieved at AS?

That chart is old, and the new A-level reforms mean that Cambridge has now introduced other tests to help candidates strengthen their application.

For example, the GAAS is taken pre-interview for Geography.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/geography

Bottom line, if you are on target to achieve the typical requirements for your course you should apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Well hold on a sec. Dont worry about GCSEs.

What course are you considering? With what A-levels and what are your predicted grades? And achieved at AS?

That chart is old, and the new A-level reforms mean that Cambridge has now introduced other tests to help candidates strengthen their application.

For example, the GAAS is taken pre-interview for Geography.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/geography

Bottom line, if you are on target to achieve the typical requirements for your course you should apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi jneill, thank you so much for your encouragemen however I do still feel that I'm not the right caliber for Cambridge. I'm considering geography.

For my GCSE, I achieved A*,A, 3 B's and 3 C's. I know there not the best and it worries me. For my AS level results (AAABC), I got A in Business Studies, A in Religious Studies, A in Geography, B in History and finally a C in General studies. My teachers mentioned predicated grades, so I can't answer that question. But I think they could be AAA - A*A*A.

Firstly I haven't seen the university as I never even contemplated going, I don't even know GAAS exam is and I've done about three lines in my personal statement.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to write your last response and I found it really helpful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi jneill, thank you so much for your encouragemen however I do still feel that I'm not the right caliber for Cambridge. I'm considering geography.

For my GCSE, I achieved A*,A, 3 B's and 3 C's. I know there not the best and it worries me. For my AS level results (AAABC), I got A in Business Studies, A in Religious Studies, A in Geography, B in History and finally a C in General studies. My teachers mentioned predicated grades, so I can't answer that question. But I think they could be AAA - A*A*A.

Firstly I haven't seen the university as I never even contemplated going, I don't even know GAAS exam is and I've done about three lines in my personal statement.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to write your last response and I found it really helpful.

As I said, your GCSEs are not that important. AAABC is good at AS. Especially after "less good" GCSEs and shows an improving (i.e. upward) academic trajectory. Cambridge likes that :smile:

What UMS did you get in Geography?

The GAAS info was on the link I posted. Specifically: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/gaa_specification.pdf

And there are specimen papers on the earlier link - click on the Entry Requirements tab.

You have nearly a month to apply - plenty of time :smile:

Let Cambridge be the best judge of your calibre, not you... :wink:
Original post by jneill
As I said, your GCSEs are not that important. AAABC is good at AS. Especially after "less good" GCSEs and shows an improving (i.e. upward) academic trajectory. Cambridge likes that :smile:

What UMS did you get in Geography?

The GAAS info was on the link I posted. Specifically: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/gaa_specification.pdf

And there are specimen papers on the earlier link - click on the Entry Requirements tab.

You have nearly a month to apply - plenty of time :smile:

Let Cambridge be the best judge of your calibre, not you... :wink:

UMS in geography I don't know do you mean the number right ? first paper I got 80 and second paper I got 88.

Wait I'd have to sit another test on top of my A-level.

I think I'd be a weaker candidate applying and would it be likely that I'd get the offer ? Probably not so I should be pragmatic and use that space for another uni :frown: Cambridge is the best, it looks for the best. I respect either though I fall short :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
UMS in geography I don't know do you mean the number right ? first paper I got 80 and second paper I got 88.

Wait I'd have to sit another test on top of my A-level.

I think I'd be a weaker candidate applying and would it be likely that I'd get the offer ? Probably not so I should be pragmatic and use that space for another uni :frown: Cambridge is the best, it looks for the best. I respect either though I fall short :frown:

Yes 80+88 = average 84. That's possibly on the lower side, but the GAAS can help strengthen your application.

Yes it's an extra test, but they don't expect you to do a whole lot of prep for it. You sit it on 2nd November, so it's out of the way early and then you can continue with your A-levels.

They gave offers to approx 40% of Geography applicants. That's nearly a 50:50 chance... and with your grades I expect you will get offers from most if not all your other choices, so a shot at Cambridge is not really that risky.

The only way to guarantee not getting a Cambridge offer is by not applying. :smile:
Original post by jneill
Yes 80+88 = average 84. That's possibly on the lower side, but the GAAS can help strengthen your application.

Yes it's an extra test, but they don't expect you to do a whole lot of prep for it. You sit it on 2nd November, so it's out of the way early and then you can continue with your A-levels.

They gave offers to approx 40% of Geography applicants. That's nearly a 50:50 chance... and with your grades I expect you will get offers from most if not all your other choices, so a shot at Cambridge is not really that risky.

The only way to guarantee not getting a Cambridge offer is by not applying. :smile:

As I suspected :frown: because I'm a little slow, where would I sit this test do they make the offer before or after this test, and what sort of predicted grades would I need so you think ? Also how many of those offers go Cambridge ?

I suppose your right, I need to give it some thought though. It feels risky to me LOL :biggrin:

Problem with this whole uni application thing is my parents aren't a lot of help. They didn't go to uni and don't know too much about it. So it makes it difficult to do it but I'd like to go naturally.

Thank you so much for your help so far, so you mind me asking how you know so much about Cambridge ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
As I suspected :frown: because I'm a little slow, where would I sit this test do they make the offer before or after this test, and what sort of predicted grades would I need so you think ? Also how many of those offers go Cambridge ?

I suppose your right, I need to give it some thought though. It feels risky to me LOL :biggrin:

Problem with this whole uni application thing is my parents aren't a lot of help. They didn't go to uni and don't know too much about it. So it makes it difficult to do it but I'd like to go naturally.

Thank you so much for your help so far, so you mind me asking how you know so much about Cambridge ?

I'm a parent of a Cambridge fresher (he starts in October to study Engineering).

TSR is here to help you :smile:

Yes, you sit the test at your school (usually). Are you at a UK school? Do they have any experience of sending pupils to Oxbridge? They might need to register with ATS to enable you to sit the test. http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/administering-our-tests/become-a-test-centre/

The Cambridge application timelines are here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/dates-and-deadlines

Key date are:
UCAS deadline: 15th October
SAQ deadline: 22nd October
Pre-interview tests: 2nd Nov
Interview invitations sent (or rejections): usually some time between mid-Nov and early Dec.
Interviews: early-mid Dec
Offer decisions sent: early Jan

And there is a thread for potential applicants here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815

I suggest you request a prospectus asap :smile:
Original post by jneill
I'm a parent of a Cambridge fresher (he starts in October to study Engineering).

TSR is here to help you :smile:

Yes, you sit the test at your school (usually). Are you at a UK school? Do they have any experience of sending pupils to Oxbridge? They might need to register with ATS to enable you to sit the test. http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/administering-our-tests/become-a-test-centre/

The Cambridge application timelines are here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/dates-and-deadlines

Key date are:
UCAS deadline: 15th October
SAQ deadline: 22nd October
Pre-interview tests: 2nd Nov
Interview invitations sent (or rejections): usually some time between mid-Nov and early Dec.
Interviews: early-mid Dec
Offer decisions sent: early Jan

And there is a thread for potential applicants here:

I suggest you request a prospectus asap :smile:

Psss!
All prospectus/necessary info is available online. Including alternative prospectus by CUSU and each college.

:smile:
Hi. Sorry to hijack this thread lol, but i am also interested in geography at cambridge. I achieved 8A's and 1C (no A* grades.. :frown:..) at GCSE, 3A's at AS level, and am predicted A*AA at A2 level, with an 87%UMS average. However, i really don't want to waste time applying if it takes too much from my uni choices, if there is a strong chance won't be accepted.
Swell, my geography UMS is also just 84%, lower than my other two subjects. Im also a little embarrassed to apply... as people in m year are not applying and have much better grades than me...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by vincrows
Psss!
All prospectus/necessary info is available online. Including alternative prospectus by CUSU and each college.

:smile:

Yeah, but having some paper is good too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Amelia488
Hi. Sorry to hijack this thread lol, but i am also interested in geography at cambridge. I achieved 8A's and 1C at GCSE, 3A's at AS level, and am predicted A*AA at A2 level, with an 87%UMS average. However, i really don't want to waste time applying if it takes too much from my uni choices, if there is a strong chance won't be accepted.

"What are the UMS stats?" under FAQ, Geography (2014) had around 15-20% of people 85-90% ums average receiving an offer, definitely worth applying if you believe you can do well on entrance exam/interview etc.
Original post by JN17
"What are the UMS stats?" under FAQ, Geography (2014) had around 15-20% of people 85-90% ums average receiving an offer, definitely worth applying if you believe you can do well on entrance exam/interview etc.

thank you.
Original post by jneill
Yeah, but having some paper is good too...

Posted from TSR Mobile

To keep, yes. :smile:
But thought OP should hurry. Online version arrives much quicker than post. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amelia488
Hi. Sorry to hijack this thread lol, but i am also interested in geography at cambridge. I achieved 8A's and 1C (no A* grades.. :frown:..) at GCSE, 3A's at AS level, and am predicted A*AA at A2 level, with an 87%UMS average. However, i really don't want to waste time applying if it takes too much from my uni choices, if there is a strong chance won't be accepted.
Swell, my geography UMS is also just 84%, lower than my other two subjects. Im also a little embarrassed to apply... as people in m year are not applying and have much better grades than me...

You can still apply to 4 other unis. No harm in adding Cambridge to the list as an aspirational choice as long as you choose other 4 wisely.
But check the course contents of all the unis you're interested very throughly before you decide. They're quite a lot of difference in how/what each uni teaches geography as it's such a fast-changing subject.
Cambridge's tends to be a little more 'traditional' than other unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending