The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ValerieKR
it annoys me too

what a dork
Original post by Zacken
I think that should be on your exam board formula booklet?

well I'll be damned, it is there under C2. Maybe that's why I got 77 ums in C2...
Show that r=1nsinr=12(sinn+cot12cot12cosn) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin r =\frac{1}{2} (\sin n +\cot \frac{1}{2}-\cot \frac{1}{2} \cos n) .

Show also that r=1nsin(r+1)cos(r+3)=14(cos(5)csc(1)cos(2n+5)csc(1)2nsin(2)) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin(r+1)\cos (r+3) =\frac{1}{4}( \cos (5) \csc (1) -\cos (2n+5)\csc (1) -2n\sin (2)) .

:bebored::bored::hmmmm:
Original post by Ano123
Show that r=1nsinr=12(sinn+cot12cot12cosn) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin r =\frac{1}{2} (\sin n +\cot \frac{1}{2}-\cot \frac{1}{2} \cos n) .

Show also that r=1nsin(r+1)cos(r+3)=14(cos(5)csc(1)cos(2n+5)csc(1)2nsin(2)) \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n \sin(r+1)\cos (r+3) =\frac{1}{4}( \cos (5) \csc (1) -\cos (2n+5)\csc (1) -2n\sin (2)) .

What have you tried? The first one is very standard, try telescoping.
Reply 704
Is there really any way of preparing for STEP other than doing it 'step by step': This is my strategy:

1. Do all the easier STEP I questions first.

2. Check the solutions to see if you could have done it more efficiently.

3. When you have done enough of the easier questions, you will have picked up enough tricks to take a second look at the questions you originally struggled with.

4. Climb your way up the difficulty level...
Original post by Ano123

Id go, complex numbers for first one.
Consider product pormulae for second. Cleans both up very quickly. Or induct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Palette
Is there really any way of preparing for STEP other than doing it 'step by step': This is my strategy:

1. Do all the easier STEP I questions first.

2. Check the solutions to see if you could have done it more efficiently.

3. When you have done enough of the easier questions, you will have picked up enough tricks to take a second look at the questions you originally struggled with.

4. Climb your way up the difficulty level...

Yeah I suppose that's the natural progression.
I'll be resitting Core 1 & Core 2 this year as I ****ed it up last year. Anyone who has experience of resitting maths modules, when is a good time to start practicing/revising for them?
Original post by DarkEnergy
I'll be resitting Core 1 & Core 2 this year as I ****ed it up last year. Anyone who has experience of resitting maths modules, when is a good time to start practicing/revising for them?

Shouldn't be too much of a hassle, if any at all, after doing C3 and C4. Just keep fresh on topics outside these modules.
Original post by RDKGames
Shouldn't be too much of a hassle, if any at all, after doing C3 and C4. Just keep fresh on topics outside these modules.

Cheers
I need help on a C3 domain and range questions .... again.
Ive been over it twice and thought i understood but then got confused when i got this question wrong.

In simple terms is the domain the x value and the range the y value you get out of the function?

f(x) = (2x +5) / (x - 3)
x E R, x is not equal to 3

for the first part you are told to find the range. I got it as

0< f(x)<= 13 but it should be f(x) E R, f(x) is not equal to 2.

Where have i gone wrong?? (this isnt related to the question but how is R different to x E R)
Original post by kiiten
I need help on a C3 domain and range questions .... again.
Ive been over it twice and thought i understood but then got confused when i got this question wrong.

In simple terms is the domain the x value and the range the y value you get out of the function?

f(x) = (2x +5) / (x - 3)
x E R, x is not equal to 3

for the first part you are told to find the range. I got it as

0< f(x)<= 13 but it should be f(x) E R, f(x) is not equal to 2.

Where have i gone wrong?? (this isnt related to the question but how is R different to x E R)

Well, how did you work out the range?

If you say 2x+5x3\frac{2x+5}{x-3} =
2x6+11x3\frac{2x - 6 + 11}{x-3}...

I also don't understand what you mean by R being different to 'x is an element of R', they mean different things but chances are in your context R on its own doesn't make sense.

Original post by DarkEnergy

C2 requires very little practice.

Just be aware of the topics that aren't in C3 (and maybe C4) and the usual rules of not cancelling solutions, checking range of solutions etc and then work through the textbook close to exam time, you should be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Well, how did you work out the range?

If you say 2x+5x3\frac{2x+5}{x-3} =
2x6+11x3\frac{2x - 6 + 11}{x-3}...

C2 requires very little practice.

Just be aware of the topics that aren't in C3 (and maybe C4) and the usual rules of not cancelling solutions, checking range of solutions etc and then work through the textbook close to exam time, you should be fine.

im not sure why you put -6 +11

To find the range i subbed in x=3 to get 0 so f(x) must be bigger than 0 because x is not equal to 3. The i subbed in x=4 (that would give 1 as the denominator - largest value of f(x)) = 13

?
Original post by kiiten
im not sure why you put -6 +11

To find the range i subbed in x=3 to get 0 so f(x) must be bigger than 0 because x is not equal to 3. The i subbed in x=4 (that would give 1 as the denominator - largest value of f(x)) = 13

?

Sometimes that method works (for an increasing/decreasing function) but this isn't one of them. As you can see from sketching a graph on it.

It's a way to manipulate the fraction so that you end up with (A - B/(x+c)) which is much easier to find the range of.

Notice that if you add 11 then take away 6 next to the x, then you can divide the three terms by the denominator to give a constant (A) as well as B and C.

If you can't see how adding the 11 and taking away 6 works, I can explain it in more detail when I get a chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Sometimes that method works (for an increasing/decreasing function) but this isn't one of them. As you can see from sketching a graph on it.

It's a way to manipulate the fraction so that you end up with (A - B/(x+c)) which is much easier to find the range of.

Notice that if you add 11 then take away 6 next to the x, then you can divide the three terms by the denominator to give a constant (A) as well as B and C.

Have i done it wrong - i did 2x+11-6 / (x-3)
2(x-3)+11 / (x-3)
x-3 cancels out and you get 13??

I understand it would be a lot easier to draw out the graph but i dont have a graphing calculator and always seem to draw it wrong :s-smilie:

What method would you use for a function that isnt a fraction?
Another (different) question

If y = 1 + sinx is stretched in the x-direction, scale factor 1/2
why is it y = 1 + 2sinx
instead of
y = 1 + sin2x

??
Original post by kiiten

why is it y = 1 + 2sinx
instead of
y = 1 + sin2x

??

First draw sinx then sin2x and you will see why.
Original post by kiiten

why is it y = 1 + 2sinx
instead of
y = 1 + sin2x

??

y = 1 + sin x isn't a stretch, it just shifts the graph of sin x up by one. So it makes it range from 0 <-> 2 rather than -1 <-> 1.
Sin 2x is a compression in the x direction, scale factor of 1/2, sin x/2 is a stretch of scale factor of 2 though. You can rationalise that by thinking of values for x and comparing to sin x. For example, sin(x) = 1/2 when x = 45, however sin (x/2) when x = 90 is the same as sin(x) when x = 45 and sin(x/2) therefore doesn't reach it's maxima at f(x) = 1 until x = 180. Not the easiest thing to get your head around at first and seems a bit counter intuitive, but if you can learn to understand it and explain it to yourself as it were then it becomes a lot more simple :smile:
Original post by k.russell
y = 1 + sin x isn't a stretch, it just shifts the graph of sin x up by one. So it makes it range from 0 <-> 2 rather than -1 <-> 1.
Sin 2x is a compression in the x direction, scale factor of 1/2, sin x/2 is a stretch of scale factor of 2 though. You can rationalise that by thinking of values for x and comparing to sin x. For example, sin(x) = 1/2 when x = 45, however sin (x/2) when x = 90 is the same as sin(x) when x = 45 and sin(x/2) therefore doesn't reach it's maxima at f(x) = 1 until x = 180. Not the easiest thing to get your head around at first and seems a bit counter intuitive, but if you can learn to understand it and explain it to yourself as it were then it becomes a lot more simple :smile:

Thanks :biggrin: but why is it 2sinx instead of sin2x - in my textbook it says that a stretch in the x-direction means the transformation is y=f(x) to y=f(x/c)

I understand where your coming from: sin 2x is a compression and sin(x/2) is a stretch <--- did you mean 2sinx or is that the same thing??
Original post by kiiten
Thanks :biggrin: but why is it 2sinx instead of sin2x - in my textbook it says that a stretch in the x-direction means the transformation is y=f(x) to y=f(x/c)

I understand where your coming from: sin 2x is a compression and sin(x/2) is a stretch <--- did you mean 2sinx or is that the same thing??

No!! 2sinx is a stretch in the y axis, or an increase in amplitude. This one is much easier to understand imo, if sin(x) = 1, 2sin(x) = 2 simple as that( literally the value of sin(x) multiplied by 2), so the positions of the minima and maxima are the same, but their magnitude increases and the range changes to -2 <-> 2

Quick Reply

Latest