The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Nottingham Vs. Birmingham

I'm looking to do Politics and International relations for next year as a 3 year undergraduate course, then a one year law conversion course after that. Right now I'm looking at both Nottingham and Birmingham, but I'm not sure if I should go to Nottingham which is generally thought of as a better uni (despite being lower in this years rankings), which is known to have a better nightlife and also a great law faculty which I could use for my conversion after my bachelors degree. I've also been to Nottingham and it has a great campus and is very close to other uni's. Alternatively, I'm interested in Birmingham which is higher in the Guardian and complete uni rankings and also has better graduate prospects, however, I'm hesitant as it isn't thought to be as 'prestigious' as Nottingham and I haven't heard much about the nightlife or city etc. any help would be appreciated!
Original post by EDH981
I'm looking to do Politics and International relations for next year as a 3 year undergraduate course, then a one year law conversion course after that. Right now I'm looking at both Nottingham and Birmingham, but I'm not sure if I should go to Nottingham which is generally thought of as a better uni (despite being lower in this years rankings), which is known to have a better nightlife and also a great law faculty which I could use for my conversion after my bachelors degree. I've also been to Nottingham and it has a great campus and is very close to other uni's. Alternatively, I'm interested in Birmingham which is higher in the Guardian and complete uni rankings and also has better graduate prospects, however, I'm hesitant as it isn't thought to be as 'prestigious' as Nottingham and I haven't heard much about the nightlife or city etc. any help would be appreciated!

I'm in the same situation, except I'm applying for both. Lol. Can't decide.
Also applying for international relations! =]
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by EDH981
Nottingham known to have a better nightlife

Birmingham I haven't heard much about the nightlife

Oh.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Oh.

what?
Hi. Birmingham hands down. I recently started at Nottingham and the place is terrible. It's got a good reputation and is often highly placed in the rankings yet in the grand scheme of things a couple of places in the rankings means nothing if you engage in lots of work experience and extracurricular activities.

Nottingham's campus feels run down and too closed off and I feel like i'm in a bubble not really connected to the city. It really has the feel of a secondary school rather than a university and the wardens don't give you the freedom I'd hoped for.

Although Nottingham is placed higher for my course, Law, I hands down wish I had chosen Birmingham for the better city and student experience.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask
Original post by IRoranth
what?

He claims Nottingham is known to have better 'nightlife' but then follows it up by admitting he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Original post by JaggedPiano
Hi. Birmingham hands down. I recently started at Nottingham and the place is terrible. It's got a good reputation and is often highly placed in the rankings yet in the grand scheme of things a couple of places in the rankings means nothing if you engage in lots of work experience and extracurricular activities.

Nottingham's campus feels run down and too closed off and I feel like i'm in a bubble not really connected to the city. It really has the feel of a secondary school rather than a university and the wardens don't give you the freedom I'd hoped for.

Although Nottingham is placed higher for my course, Law, I hands down wish I had chosen Birmingham for the better city and student experience.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask

Were you on the University Park campus? I didn't think it was run down at all (but then again probably because I was around the Trent Building)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Were you on the University Park campus? I didn't think it was run down at all (but then again probably because I was around the Trent Building)

Where would I usually go if I applied for International Relations/Politics?

Does it seem closed off to you? How long does it take to get to the city centre with traffic? Is there diversity (black people, east Asian people, especially south Asian people, middle easterners, etc, not just students from Hong Kong/white peeps?)

Thanks.
Where would I usually go if I applied for International Relations/Politics?

Does it seem closed off to you? How long does it take to get to the city centre with traffic? Is there diversity (black people, east Asian people, especially south Asian people, middle easterners, etc, not just students from Hong Kong/white peeps?)

Thanks.

I'm clueless which subjects go where at Notts.

I liked the campus a lot (better than KCL's and UCL's imo). I had heard that Nottingham was full of Asian people so I was shocked when I didn't see that many at the uni. I saw a few South Asians in the Law and Science departments.

I'm sorry you don't like it though :redface: Could you not transfer?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm clueless which subjects go where at Notts.

I liked the campus a lot (better than KCL's and UCL's imo). I had heard that Nottingham was full of Asian people so I was shocked when I didn't see that many at the uni. I saw a few South Asians in the Law and Science departments.

I'm sorry you don't like it though :redface: Could you not transfer?

Oh no, hahaha!

I haven't even applied to Notts yet, I think you're getting me confused with a previous reply from someone else, =D.

I really like the campus. =)
Oh no, hahaha!

I haven't even applied to Notts yet, I think you're getting me confused with a previous reply from someone else, =D.

I really like the campus. =)

Oh whoops!
Original post by EDH981

Hi! My advice would be to not worry about the difference in reputation of Notts and Bham, I think they're pretty similar in the eyes of employers and anyway, employability is always going to depend on your grade and application. If anything, it'll be the ranking of the uni when you graduate rather than now that matters. And they jump around every year!
Personally I love it at UoN and think the most important things to consider are the course (modules you like the look of, the specialties of the department etc) and the overall feel you have for the place (whether you had a good feeling about the campus, city and societies).
Genuinely, don't stress too much about comparing nightlife - it's about the people you meet as to whether you have a good experience and both Nottingham and Bham have similar types of things to do!
All the best,
Lucy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending