The Student Room Group

Should I take my acoustic guitar to university?

Hi all. I'm a Durham fresher and I'm not sure whether or not to take my acoustic guitar to university, for a few reasons.

Firstly, I'm not very good at it. I've been happily playing it in my room, on and off, since Christmas 2014. I can strum along and fingerpick some basic songs (the most advanced being the first minute or so of Mason William's 'Classical Gas' but it doesn't sound great), and I'm mortified about being put on the spot and asked to play something.

Secondly, I'm worried about annoying people in my halls, though I think this would be OK as long as I only play during the day and keep the acoustic Judas Priest to a minimum.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I'm worried about the image that comes with an acoustic guitar, especially being seen as the sort of faux-hippie that plays 'Wonderwall' around campfires that no-one really likes. I'm quite a reserved guy and I worry that turning up with an instrument on my back would give off the wrong image (exacerbated by my aforementioned lack of skill).

What do you think? I'd certainly miss not playing the guitar, but have other people had issues with instruments and the associated labels? Am I worrying about nothing (as I usually do)?

Thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't see you as a faux-hippie, just to clear the last concern up. As a fellow bad guitarist, I think it might even be useful for making friends, and there are normally musical events for people that are just having fun, so it might be good to have it for that. I think you should take it. At the very least, it will help make your room look homely. :smile:
Original post by Jonquillion
Hi all. I'm a Durham fresher and I'm not sure whether or not to take my acoustic guitar to university, for a few reasons.

Firstly, I'm not very good at it. I've been happily playing it in my room, on and off, since Christmas 2014. I can strum along and fingerpick some basic songs (the most advanced being the first minute or so of Mason William's 'Classical Gas' but it doesn't sound great), and I'm mortified about being put on the spot and asked to play something.

Secondly, I'm worried about annoying people in my halls, though I think this would be OK as long as I only play during the day and keep the acoustic Judas Priest to a minimum.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I'm worried about the image that comes with an acoustic guitar, especially being seen as the sort of faux-hippie that plays 'Wonderwall' around campfires that no-one really likes. I'm quite a reserved guy and I worry that turning up with an instrument on my back would give off the wrong image (exacerbated by my aforementioned lack of skill).

What do you think? I'd certainly miss not playing the guitar, but have other people had issues with instruments and the associated labels? Am I worrying about nothing (as I usually do)?

Thanks!

Not at all!
I would see you as someone who wants to learn or enjoys playing the guitar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i had a piano i was learning to play (so was terrible at!) in halls... as long as you're not super loud while people are trying to sleep it won't be a huge issue, if anyone had a problem most universities have music practice rooms you can go and use... if anyone asks you to play just say you've only just started learning
Hey what college are you at? My boyfriend is looking for someone to play guitar with (i play the banjo), would you be interested in maybe forming a band or something?

Thanks!

Without a doubt I would say take your guitar!!!

I took mine, and despite being a bit sketchy and only really knowing chords, my flatmates either didn't care at all, or just clapped outside my room if they were walking past and once asked if they could sing with me while I played. I never got any stereotypes or rude comments - if people didn't relate and want to talk about it in a nice way, they simply didn't mention it. I don't think it's a huge deal. :smile:

But having your guitar at uni can definitely be a great way to relax during deadlines or after lectures, can cure boredom of course, and you will find that you only get better and better! Also, I joined a musical performance society in my second year, which helped me to get even better at guitar, meet friends with similar interests, and even join a band and play in public! Of course this isn't something you have to do, but it shows that bringing an instrument is a positive experience in university. Even if you bring it and find you don't play it much, you said you'd miss not playing, so the answer seems obvious to me :smile:

Hope this helps!
If you enjoy it? why wouldn't you?

People won't look down on you or get annoyed for bringing an instruemnt you enjoy playing (Unless you are playing really loudly at 4am!) and it's fairly common anyway
Reply 7

Thanks!

Fk other people. You want to bring your guitar in and play in your spare time alone in your room, then do that. Stuff other people, just stay in your room and keep your door closed when you play. If anyone asks you to play and you don't want to, just reject them.

Don't worry, it'll be ok, don't worry about that, bring it in and enjoy :smile: I'm thinking of doing the same too :smile: (I'm not very good either at the moment).
Reply 8
Definitely bring your guitar. People won't stereotype you, and people know that learning an instrument can be challenging and they won't be expecting you to blow them away with your skills. If it makes you happy then that's enough and you should bring it.
Take it!
If anyone tries putting you on the spot to play something, just palm it off with something like 'Oh, I just started dabbling with a few chords not too long ago so I can't really play much yet'.

I play too and I'm most likely gonna take mine this year.
Anyway, I don't think the stereotype comes so much from someone merely owning a guitar as it does from a person that charges into the room with it at a party insisting that he plays something to show off.
Original post by doodle_333
i had a piano i was learning to play (so was terrible at!) in halls... as long as you're not super loud while people are trying to sleep it won't be a huge issue, if anyone had a problem most universities have music practice rooms you can go and use... if anyone asks you to play just say you've only just started learning

I just had an image of you trying to fit a gran piano into a halls room lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonathanemptage
I just had an image of you trying to fit a gran piano into a halls room lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha no just an electric piano
Reply 12
I've always brought both my electric and acoustic. For fear of annoying people, I've only played the electric unplugged in my room. So socially it hasn't done anything. But it's certainly relaxing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending