The Student Room Group

Still a chance at Cambridge?

I've always wanted to Cambridge however after personal issues and other circumstances, despite working very hard for my GCSE's I didn't achieve what I expected to and came out with 2A*s, 9A's, 2B's and a C. I wondered if anyone had any advice on whether I still stand a chance of getting into Cambridge with these GCSE's. At the moment I'm just starting year 12 doing maths, further maths, physics and engineering and predict 2A*'s 1A and a Distinction (Engineering is a Level 3 Cambridge Technical). Any advice or help on what I can do to help improve my chances would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by harrisonchar
I've always wanted to Cambridge however after personal issues and other circumstances, despite working very hard for my GCSE's I didn't achieve what I expected to and came out with 2A*s, 9A's, 2B's and a C. I wondered if anyone had any advice on whether I still stand a chance of getting into Cambridge with these GCSE's. At the moment I'm just starting year 12 doing maths, further maths, physics and engineering and predict 2A*'s 1A and a Distinction (Engineering is a Level 3 Cambridge Technical). Any advice or help on what I can do to help improve my chances would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you're fine for Cambridge with those GCSEs, they put huge emphasis on A Level grades though, right to the percentage, so you'll want to do well at those. Most successful applicants get an average of 94-96% across their A Levl modules, though lots are let in with less and lots are rejected with more. You have a chance, now work really hard at your a levels- they're hard.
no
Reply 3
Asses your situation in year 13
Original post by yshaholgake123
no

Could you elaborate on why you don't think I have a chance? Maybe could give me tips on what you think I should do/have done to have a chance
Original post by AnkitKapoor
Yes you're fine for Cambridge with those GCSEs, they put huge emphasis on A Level grades though, right to the percentage, so you'll want to do well at those. Most successful applicants get an average of 94-96% across their A Levl modules, though lots are let in with less and lots are rejected with more. You have a chance, now work really hard at your a levels- they're hard.

Thank you I'll remember that! Yeah I've already realised how much of a big step up they are but I'm determined to suceed
Original post by fefssdf
Asses your situation in year 13

I will do but I like to have a goal to focus on, thanks for your advice though!

Quick Reply

Latest