Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

do you think i have a shot?
gcses:8 A*s and 2 As
AS: only did maths, 99% ums
a levels: chem bio phys maths and AS FM
ukcat:677 average but band 3 in sjt (my major doubt)
2 weeks gp surgery 1 month pharmacy 1 week hospital placement, long term hospital volunteer
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by 21957
Hello. Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like ?

Hi there, thanks for the question.

I have just answered the same question actually so if you look below you should find my reply.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by 7me7
Hahaha apparently it does!

I have another few questions about textbooks if you wouldn't mind answering them. Did you buy your textbooks when the course started and which ones did you actually find useful? We have been given a reading list: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/induction/180289.pdf. Did you find the books on the list useful? Also, my sister studied Medicine at Barts quite a few years ago so I have lots of her books but they are of older editions; would you say the editions tend to differ from each other quite significantly?

Thanks!

Hi again,

I have never actually bought any text books - if i need them they are available in the library but I mainly use online resources (to the disgust of traditionalists). You may be told that it is necessary but it entirely depends on personal preference. I would recommend waiting until you arrive before spending lots of money on anything!

I would say that new additions often have the most up to date information but the basic sciences rarely change. We are certainly being taught the majority of the same material in the first 2 years as students were taught 6 or 7 years ago so older additions can still be very useful.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by mbradley42
Hi Will,

I have a few queries, although I realise some may be too individually specific, so please feel free to redirect me to the applications dept.

I wonder if you have any knowledge as to whether applying for deferred entry would disadvantage my application and, further, how the application board might consider this (will they be interested in what I plan to do with my gap year?).

Also, I am a graduate entrant (holding a 2.1 in Law and French with predicted A*,A* in bio and chem A Levels and AABB in my first A Level sitting (non-sciences) and UKCAT outstanding), I wonder if you could shed any light on how my application might be considered as I have read that tariff points are not used for graduate entrants. Finally, can you give any tips for interview prep, such as any free to access medical journals/ depth of reading that might be required?

Kind regards,

Marie-Claire

Hi there Marie-Claire, thanks for getting in touch.

With regards to your specific questions about admissions policy I would have to refer you to the admissions department.

Otherwise, a gap year can give students a great opportunity to go away and get really useful experience of medicine and volunteering. The admissions department may take this into consideration,

As for interview preparation I can probably help. My interview at Barts was quite relaxed by the standards of other medical schools and I know others had a similar experience. The interviewers tend to be interested in what you can offer both the medical school and the medical profession. Therefore, they want to know that you are engaged with societies, your community but also have a genuine interest in medicine and its role in society - not just the science. That said, my advice is to make sure you read up on current issues surrounding the NHS, health care provision in the UK, the pharmaceutical industry, privatisation and medical ethics. Whilst they may not ask you specifically about these issues, the interviews are relaxed enough for you to talk about an interest you have. If you're brave, you could ask the interviewer's opinion on some current issues and maybe even challenge them. I know it's a cliche but I would say just be yourself. Barts aren't looking for big egos or intellects, they are looking for normal down to earth students who want to become good doctors.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Barts love,
Will
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

It might surprise you that it I don’t consider it my role to convince you to consider this medical school over any other! Medical school is going to take up 5 or 6 years of your life so your choices should be based on factors that are very personal to you. For example, what kind of teaching methods you prefer, what sort of societies you want to get involved in, where in the country you want to study and the level of support you expect from the University. It might be that what you want at medical school isn’t what Barts offer, in which case you shouldn’t apply here!

That said, I can tell you why I chose Barts. Firstly, there is a very patient focused approach to learning here. Students are with patients from the get go meaning you are developing your clinical and communication skills very early on. There is also a spiral curriculum meaning you are not expected to remember something you have been taught only once. I am also very impressed by the level of support offered to students who are struggling. Luckily, I haven’t been in that position yet but I know that if I do struggle emotionally, financially or academically, there are a number of ways the medical school can support me. There is a variety of teaching methods here as well including PBL, lectures, practical sessions and dissection. Finally, I wanted to study in London! I come from a very rural area and wanted a change of scenary and I certainly got that!

Please let me know if you want any more information. There are plenty more reasons why I chose Barts which I will happily share with you.

Best of luck with your future!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by summerbay3
Hi Will

I will be starting at barts next week and just have a few questions.

I am staying in dawson, and was wondering how much storage there is, e.g. Is there room for suitcases under the bed?
Also, how many plug points do you get in a room and is there one near the bed? (I have a single basic room)

And finally, how long on average do you have to wait to use the bathroom in the morning/evening? I am on the second floor, do you remember how many prople share a bathroom and the kitchen?

Thanks so much

Hi! Yay, can't wait to meet you!

I stayed at Dawson (also second floor) - it's awesome! The rooms are actually quite large. I managed to squeeze a suitcase under my bed. There was a plug point right by the bed in my room and another by the desk. Not all of the rooms are set out the same however.

Normally about 8 people share a bathroom and kitchen. I don't remember ever having to wait because there were 4 showers, 2 toilet cubicles and 4 sinks. Let me know if you have any more questions or need more advice once you've moved in!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Stephan2571
Hi Will,

I am currently doing Biomedical Sciences at QMUL, going on to final year this month. So far I've done pretty well for the course (87% for the first year and 82% for second year) and as such think I may be able to be predicted a first class honours for the degree. My main concern is my UKCAT, which I got 650 for. Seeing that they do a 50:50 weighting on this, do you think I still have a good chance for applying?

Hi there,

I have a friend who transferred from genetics at QMUL under similar circumstances. I would say that you should still apply as 650 isn't bad at all and you obviously are doing very well on the course. Do you not have a chance to redo the UKCAT before applying? If so, I would recommend doing so as most people do better second time around.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by 07cdominic
Hi Will,

I got 11 A*s and 2 As at GCSE, and am predicted 5A*s at A-level.
I got 2180 in my UKCAT, which is an average of 727.
But my SJT score was only Band 3 - will this disadvantage my application to QMUL?
Thanks!

Hi there, amazing stats!

I really am not sure how heavily waited the SJT is (it wan't even in use when I applied). However, given the rest of your statistics, you have a very good shot.

Best of luck with the future!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
do you think i have a shot?
gcses:8 A*s and 2 As
AS: only did maths, 99% ums
a levels: chem bio phys maths and AS FM
ukcat:677 average but band 3 in sjt (my major doubt)
2 weeks gp surgery 1 month pharmacy 1 week hospital placement, long term hospital volunteer

Hi there,

You certainly do have a shot! I'm not sure how heavily waited the SJT is but the rest of your statistics make up for it in my opinion.

Barts love,
Will
Hi Will,

I am currently about to start my 3rd year in biomedical science and am predicted a 2:1, I had also done my UKCAT and managed to attain a 727 average band 3 sjt, my A levels are ABB which i feel might bring me down. Is there any hope for me applying as a Graduate to the 5 year course with these stats?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

You certainly do have a shot! I'm not sure how heavily waited the SJT is but the rest of your statistics make up for it in my opinion.

Barts love,
Will

thank you very much ill consider applying now
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a replacement tenant for my featured studio room in Scape East London which is located opposite from Queen Mary. The price per week is £255 from 17/09/2016 to 09/09/2017 (51 weeks). Anyone interested?
Hi there,

Barts love,
Will

Can you find out about the SJT for us please?
Hi there Marie-Claire, thanks for getting in touch.

With regards to your specific questions about admissions policy I would have to refer you to the admissions department.

Otherwise, a gap year can give students a great opportunity to go away and get really useful experience of medicine and volunteering. The admissions department may take this into consideration,

As for interview preparation I can probably help. My interview at Barts was quite relaxed by the standards of other medical schools and I know others had a similar experience. The interviewers tend to be interested in what you can offer both the medical school and the medical profession. Therefore, they want to know that you are engaged with societies, your community but also have a genuine interest in medicine and its role in society - not just the science. That said, my advice is to make sure you read up on current issues surrounding the NHS, health care provision in the UK, the pharmaceutical industry, privatisation and medical ethics. Whilst they may not ask you specifically about these issues, the interviews are relaxed enough for you to talk about an interest you have. If you're brave, you could ask the interviewer's opinion on some current issues and maybe even challenge them. I know it's a cliche but I would say just be yourself. Barts aren't looking for big egos or intellects, they are looking for normal down to earth students who want to become good doctors.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Barts love,
Will

That's so helpful, Will. Thank you :smile:
Original post by tessa.lin
Hi so I recently received my AS results and they weren't very good.

My teachers all predicted me Bs but my actual grades came to be BBCD with the D being in chemistry. I'm hoping to apply for Medicine and the entry requirement for QMUL is AAA with B in AS minimum. The subject I want to drop for Yr13 is a language in which I got a C but hope to retake it.
I'm also doing an EPQ.
Work experience wise, I worked in a care home for dementia and a day in a hospital clinic.

I'm quite worried, do I still have a chance? Or should I aim for another Uni?

I'm sorry that you're in this situation, I think the best option for you would be to reapply with achieved A2 results and aim to get at least AAA. Or apply anyways but not be optimistic about getting interviews although even on results day, assuming you have the grades, you can ring up and there is a chance you might get in.

Stay hopeful. If you really want to do medicine, you will.

:biggrin:
Original post by Chirag Gurung
Hi Will,

I am currently about to start my 3rd year in biomedical science and am predicted a 2:1, I had also done my UKCAT and managed to attain a 727 average band 3 sjt, my A levels are ABB which i feel might bring me down. Is there any hope for me applying as a Graduate to the 5 year course with these stats?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there,

Your UKCAT is good but your A levels, as you say, may bring you down. I would say that to stand a good chance of getting an interview you may need to achieve a first in Biomedical Science. However, you may still stand a chance if you're applying to the MBBS course rather than the GEP course. Unfortunately, no one is ever certain how their application will be judged so it's a risk that you'll have to take if you want to study Medicine!

Best of luck with the future.

Barts love,
Will
Hi there,

Your UKCAT is good but your A levels, as you say, may bring you down. I would say that to stand a good chance of getting an interview you may need to achieve a first in Biomedical Science. However, you may still stand a chance if you're applying to the MBBS course rather than the GEP course. Unfortunately, no one is ever certain how their application will be judged so it's a risk that you'll have to take if you want to study Medicine!

Best of luck with the future.

Barts love,
Will

Thank you very much Will :smile:
How do I calculate my tariff points?
Predicted AAA so = 144 points
How do I calculate the ukcat points?

And is there anything else I can add to boost tarriff?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 238
Hi Will,

I'm considering applying to Queen Mary's this year for med. Although i really like what I've researched about it so far, i'm a bit worried about my chances of getting an interview. I know the weighting is 50:50 on UCAS tariff and UKCAT and i think my UCAS tariff is too low :frown: I have achieved A Level grades of A*AA and i'm applying on a gap year. My AS grades were AAAA and i'm not too concerned about my gcse's (A/A*) because i know they aren't looked at that much. From what i've calculated, i think my A Levels will give me a tariff of 172, which is quite low :/

My overall ukcat score is 2290, which gives an average of 763.3 and SJT Band 1. I don't know if this will compensate for a lower ucas tariff - or am I better off applying elsewhere instead of risking an option? I'm sitting on the fence at the moment haha.

Thanks
Hi Will,

Thank you for starting this thread. I have applied for MSc in Cancer and Clinical Oncology. I am from Singapore. Could you explain to me the accommodation process (when does it start), types of accommodation, teaching, students per class? Where do lectures take place and the closest accommodation place?

Thank you.