The Student Room Group

How much did you pay for your first car & car insurance

Scroll to see replies

1400 for first car, got 100 off.
800 insurance
Reply 21
Thinking about getting a seat Ibiza or a Vauxhall corsa 1.2 both around £4,500-£5,000 which would be the best to get ? Checked insurance and I must be doing it wrong be their quoting me £4,000 insurance !!!
Reply 22
Original post by Bradley7
Thinking about getting a seat Ibiza or a Vauxhall corsa 1.2 both around £4,500-£5,000 which would be the best to get ? Checked insurance and I must be doing it wrong be their quoting me £4,000 insurance !!!

Nope, thats probably right dependant on age, location, and driving history.
Reply 23
Original post by IWMTom
Nope, thats probably right dependant on age, location, and driving history.

Haha okay got a lot more saving to do then ! Thank you.
I got my first car at 17, which was a Ford Ka 1.3L which cost £950 and the insurance with a black box for the first year was £2040 but 2nd year (still with the black box) went down to £485 for the year.
After those 2 years I got a Citoren C4 1.6L turbo diesel for £1100 and insurance on that went up to £700
Passed my test a month ago, had the car 4 days after that.

55 Plate Mazda 3 TS 1.6L - £2400, paid outright because I hate loans, and HP, PCP etc are all cons designed to lure in glassy eyed suckers (Only reason it was that much is because of the very low comparative mileage - 67k on a 10 year old car, and the previous owner had seemingly specced all the options)
Insurance - £900, paid monthly - had I paid in one go it would've been ~£750 :: CE is only £150 as well.

However, I am 26, so am slightly outside of the young driver criteria.
Reply 26
This is crazy how?
Original post by Donkey******
Cost me £500 for my first car, and £480 fully comp on insurance.
Reply 27
400 for car and 1300 for insurance. Car was hit and miss and I sold it a year later for 330 having spent 200 on repairs. My second car was a 1994 Lancer, 600 pounds and have had it for 1.5 years now; without a single hiccup - even all the fancy electric gadgets + tape player still work. I think key is to go for mileage, the 1994 car was older then my first, but had ~50k mileage.
Original post by Jackieox
It's gonna cost me and my boyfriend £1100 for our insurance (Both 20) however hes been driving for 2 years, i'm classed as a new driver as i havent driven since i passed my test

Month or annual? also which car?
Original post by johnnym871
Month or annual? also which car?

It ended up being £800 (a year), a Mini
I paid 560 pounds for a car, and 200 pounds for necessary service, including blown head gasket.
It was 6 years ago, and the car is still operational :smile:
I'm insured through my first uk - check them out saves me a lot of money guys!
Wonder how many folk in this thread are lying about how much it cost them, when instead it was mummy and daddy that paid it.

Got my first car at 17 and paid for everything myself. 2k for the car and another 2k for 3rd party insurance paid annually.
Reply 33
Original post by UniWasEz
Wonder how many folk in this thread are lying about how much it cost them, when instead it was mummy and daddy that paid it.

Got my first car at 17 and paid for everything myself. 2k for the car and another 2k for 3rd party insurance paid annually.

TP really worked out cheaper than FC?
Original post by IWMTom
TP really worked out cheaper than FC?

Yes. Why would that be a surprise? Was so much as the insurance was in my name.
My car insurance was around £1200 for the first year with Tesco, it should go down to around £700 after the first year! I drive a seat mii :smile:
Reply 36
Yes. Why would that be a surprise? Was so much as the insurance was in my name.

It's usually the opposite (I know, counter-intuitive). I've genuinely never seen TP be cheaper than FC when doing my own quotes before.
Original post by IWMTom
It's usually the opposite (I know, counter-intuitive). I've genuinely never seen TP be cheaper than FC when doing my own quotes before.

Ah ok. This was quite a few years ago but iirc fully comp was another k.
Reply 38
Ah ok. This was quite a few years ago but iirc fully comp was another k.

Dayum, that's hella unfortunate. You defy the statistics!
Got my brothers old car and £900 for the insurance ^^

Quick Reply

Latest