The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niraxas
I'm really disappointed with my UKCAT results. I was expecting wayyy higher cause Im applying with resits due to a medical condition last year. I got
VR: 600
QR: 740
AR: 770
SJT: Band 2
Avg: 703.33

Can someone suggest where I could apply. I did my IBDP and was predicted 41/45 but got 35 due to a medical condition. I'll be rewriting bio and chem hl in november. I know most universities require more than 700 but i barely crossed it and idk what to do :frown:

Omg I would be so happy with those results!! Would you mind giving a breakdown of how you found each section? :smile:
How many people manage to actually finish each section?? VR and AR my timing is pretty good but QR is a joke...
Original post by jayeshforce1
Sorry i don't understand why you said i am a pretty good position? i feel really bad about the score is there anything else that is likely boost my chances that i am not seeing?

Foundation medicine's entry requirements are generally lower than the standard medicine course and I'm pretty sure you meet those requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Foundation medicine's entry requirements are generally lower than the standard medicine course and I'm pretty sure you meet those requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clarifying. Do you know or know where i can find the ukcat entry cutoff for foundation year courses (even if it is last years) as then i can confirm my other choices.

Thanks bud
Original post by lahigueraxxx
How many people manage to actually finish each section?? VR and AR my timing is pretty good but QR is a joke...

Don't worry too much about QR in UKCAT/Medify mocks they're way harder than the actual exam. I'd recommend trying UKCAT Ninja's QR questions because I think they're similar to the actual questions in the exam in terms of difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Soooooo i had my UKCAT today and I think it went pretty well. Alot better than i expected coz my mocks were trash.

My results are:
VR- 520
QR- 850
AR- 720
SJ- Band 2

So tell me if thats good or bad coz I'm not entirely sure what kind of score is considered 'good'. Im hoping to apply to barts and kings college.
Original post by Squishy•
Yeah 700 is good. They use an average so as long as the average is around 650 it's a good score, and then it gets better after that.
Some universities use individual scores so take a look at them. Post ur score when u do it and we can tell u how it is.

Do well 👍

I took my UKCAT just a few hours ago and my average score was 696.
And induvidual scores are 520 for VR, 850 for QR, 720 for AR and Band 2 in SJ

Are those good enough for universities coz my AS grades were pretty low.
Original post by TheMaskedLady
Soooooo i had my UKCAT today and I think it went pretty well. Alot better than i expected coz my mocks were trash.

My results are:
VR- 520
QR- 850
AR- 720
SJ- Band 2

So tell me if thats good or bad coz I'm not entirely sure what kind of score is considered 'good'. Im hoping to apply to barts and kings college.

It's subjective but IMO if you're in the 7th decile then your score is 'good', 8th and 9th decile and your score is 'amazing.' It's more than good enough for Barts and KCL for sure though.

What were you scoring in mocks btw?
Original post by jayeshforce1
Thanks for clarifying. Do you know or know where i can find the ukcat entry cutoff for foundation year courses (even if it is last years) as then i can confirm my other choices.

Thanks bud

http://www.kaptest.co.uk/sites/kaptest.co.uk/files/How%20the%20UKCAT%20is%20used%20by%20Consortium%20Universities%20(2016%20Entry).pdf

Have a look through this, not sure how useful it is but better than nothing i suppose
Original post by ASTK98
It's subjective but IMO if you're in the 7th decile then your score is 'good', 8th and 9th decile and your score is 'amazing.' It's more than good enough for Barts and KCL for sure though.

What were you scoring in mocks btw?

To see my decile score do i just add up all my scores? But i have **** AS grades soooo my score needs to be more than amazing i guess.

I was getting scores in the 500's in the mocks
Where are the questions for quantitative reasoning? Is it at the bottom of the page or on the side?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh thanks Looks like Southampton, UEA and Nottingham will consider the score if my overall application is decent which i hope it is. I don't know about KCL they said they will consider but " chances are reduced" since i believe they are quite UKCAT heavy even for foundation year. Do you think i should pull out KCL and insert Bristol as they appear less aggressive on UKCAT scores or risk KCL in your opinion?
Hey everyone!
I sat my ukcat today and here's what I got:
VR: 590
QR: 650
AR: 610
SJ 2

total 1850
average 617

The universities I was considering are Edinburgh, Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Glasgow & Dundee but that's probably going to change. Does anyone have any reasonable advise as to where I should apply or whether I should take a gap year?
Original post by Nuba123
Hey everyone!
I sat my ukcat today and here's what I got:
VR: 590
QR: 650
AR: 610
SJ 2

total 1850
average 617

The universities I was considering are Edinburgh, Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Glasgow & Dundee but that's probably going to change. Does anyone have any reasonable advise as to where I should apply or whether I should take a gap year?

I don't have much advice sorry but just wanted to say well done after messaging you yesterday😋 bet you're glad it's all over now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheMaskedLady
I took my UKCAT just a few hours ago and my average score was 696.
And induvidual scores are 520 for VR, 850 for QR, 720 for AR and Band 2 in SJ

Are those good enough for universities coz my AS grades were pretty low.

Yeah that's real good, well done! What did u get at AS? Tbh AS don't really do much good unless they're good enough to put in a Reference. As long as ur school predicts high then that should be alright.

You might want to check universities that use subtests scores because VR is a bit low, however VR has been low for everyone this year so you'll be fine probably.

Your ukcat is good for the vast majority of universities.
Original post by ASTK98
You need to turn your grades around, take a year out and apply. No offence but there's no chance you get into Med this year, with those grades - take it from a guy who got 4 rejections pre interview because my AS grades were BCCD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ukcat can cover up for loss in AS though, there's a guy onyoutube with the same AS grades that got 4 offers I think and goes Durham now.
Original post by Squishy•
Ukcat can cover up for loss in AS though, there's a guy onyoutube with the same AS grades that got 4 offers I think and goes Durham now.

Yes but your predicted grades still need to be AAA at least to stand a chance. The person I was replying to has been predicted lower

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to be that weird one but how do you ask W questions on here? Much appreciated.
Original post by Mousa997
Sorry to be that weird one but how do you ask W questions on here? Much appreciated.

What do you mean W questions? Just post anything
Original post by ASTK98
Yes but your predicted grades still need to be AAA at least to stand a chance. The person I was replying to has been predicted lower

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I thought you had them AS grades.

Quick Reply