The Student Room Group

Keeping yourself motivated during essay writing/not crying during revision

Currently, I'm writing a 20-mark Higher Modern Studies essay and have burst into tears at least twice because I'm convinced I'm going to fail it as a subject. I remember doing this when I was writing essays for revision for my NAT5s.

So, question 1: how do you keep yourself writing the damn essay? I keep stopping and not being able to motivate myself to start again because I don't want to write it. (Yes, I've not finished the essay and am procrastinating on it right now with this post. Whoops.)

Also, question 2: how the heck do you not cry while writing essays? I don't seem to be able to write an essay for anything but Psychology without crying. I spent my entire revision time for NAT5 maths crying a lot, and it just wasted so much time. I don't want to waste so much time this year.
1) assign yourself 25 minutes to work non-stop on your essay. 25 minutes is, if you will, the optimum time your brain can process things. if, after these 25 minutes, you're still not done - take a quick 5 minute break to stretch your legs + step outside for a little bit to cool off. then resume. after you've done two 25 minute slots (+ one 5 min break) and youre still not done - take a long 25 min break. repeat this process - it's known as the pomodoro method if you'd like to do more research into it :^) set yourself a reward for when you're finished. say, 'once i'm finished this essay i'll watch some tv / browse tumblr / etc etc' and you'll find your more focused if you have something to work towards.

2) idek about this one. i dont think i've ever not cried upon seeing a piece of paper hahaha. take your time, maybe? listen to some calming music?
Original post by IndyPrince
Currently, I'm writing a 20-mark Higher Modern Studies essay and have burst into tears at least twice because I'm convinced I'm going to fail it as a subject. I remember doing this when I was writing essays for revision for my NAT5s.

So, question 1: how do you keep yourself writing the damn essay? I keep stopping and not being able to motivate myself to start again because I don't want to write it. (Yes, I've not finished the essay and am procrastinating on it right now with this post. Whoops.)

Also, question 2: how the heck do you not cry while writing essays? I don't seem to be able to write an essay for anything but Psychology without crying. I spent my entire revision time for NAT5 maths crying a lot, and it just wasted so much time. I don't want to waste so much time this year.

1 - I'd suggest writing the essay in small sections, rather than trying to do large sections/the whole thing all at once. For example, aim to write one paragraph, or just part of a paragraph, then take a break. Then come back, write another bit of the essay, have a break and so on. Breaking the essay down into sections will hopefully make it seem less daunting, and reading over it after each break may also help you to spot any mistakes or extra information you could add which you didn't notice before.

2 - are you aware of the reason why you are crying so much? Is it stress, something else, or a combination? Once you figure out what's making you so emotional, you'll be able to do something about it. If it's stress, there are many things you can do to fight it, for example: starting your revision and essays early (to give yourself plenty of time to complete each task and ease the stress of deadlines), making a revision timetable to help you manage your time better, giving yourself time off from studying so that you don't burn yourself out, and generally making the effort to look after yourself by eating healthily, getting a decent amount of fresh air and exercise etc.

I hope that helps :smile:
Try having an interest in what you are writing :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741
2 - are you aware of the reason why you are crying so much?

I get extremely stressed out because I'm currently holding myself to getting 5As at Higher and I feel like I'm being held against my grades last year (7As and a B) and feel like I'm failing everything half the time.

Original post by SuperHuman98
Try having an interest in what you are writing :smile:

Well, I can try, but genetic mutations are never going to be interesting to me, and sometimes even when I'm writing something that I find interesting, having to write it in a certain format drains any kind of interest away.
Original post by IndyPrince
I get extremely stressed out because I'm currently holding myself to getting 5As at Higher and I feel like I'm being held against my grades last year (7As and a B) and feel like I'm failing everything half the time.

I know it's much easier said than done, but it's important not to get hung up on grades. All you can do is your best, and you can't do your best if you're constantly worrying and getting upset! Having goals is great, but remember that even if you don't quite reach them, it's definitely not the end of the world! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending