The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kezxo
Not necessarily. I've completed a lot of training VAT included and each tax has its own challenges it also depends on which part of the department you're working in and what cases you have and a million and one other things. I would say all our work can be challenging but again in different ways.

Yea well another guy in the Belfast office has sorts explained the training etc and it has settled my concerns a bit. You do seem to get a good deal of support

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone received any further information?

It will be 6 weeks on Friday since I got the provisional offer(12th August), filled in the initial next steps, then completed the health declaration and the next steps for DBS on the 11th September.

I did get a generic receipt for the health declaration, but nothing since.

Anyone any different?
Original post by PapaSmurf46

It will be 6 weeks on Friday since I got the provisional offer(12th August), filled in the initial next steps, then completed the health declaration and the next steps for DBS on the 11th September.

Anyone any different?

Sounds like you are further forward at least than me. Only had my ID checked at the Lisburn office last week. Nothing mentioned of a health declaration or anything else. Nothing heard from DBS either.

How did you get the Health forms or contact from DBS?
Original post by Cass1988
Sounds like you are further forward at least than me. Only had my ID checked at the Lisburn office last week. Nothing mentioned of a health declaration or anything else. Nothing heard from DBS either.

How did you get the Health forms or contact from DBS?

I got an email on the 11th September asking me to fill it in, and it was attached to the email, and there was a new next steps on the website for the DBS check.

I had my ID checked at interview, so maybe your further email is still to come.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jamz115
Not sure. I had already all that done at interview but I may withdraw from the process because it seems the whole thing has been misleading. Asking for GCSE Maths Grade C when it appears you will actually be doing A Level Maths standard stuff . People need to be very sure about it before they commit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C in GCSE Maths and I'm doing just fine.*
Original post by Mega0448
I got a C in GCSE Maths and I'm doing just fine.*

Yes I've been reassure with the training etc so I'm more confident now about that side of things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 146
Original post by Jamz115
Yes I've been reassure with the training etc so I'm more confident now about that side of things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you're more confident now! Should reassure you a bit more! You'll be fine, we all had to start somewhere and I have to say I work with some really fab people.
Original post by kezxo
Glad you're more confident now! Should reassure you a bit more! You'll be fine, we all had to start somewhere and I have to say I work with some really fab people.

How long do these pre-employment checks take? How is the employment history checked? Someone says they don't use referees but surely HMRC can't go rooting through your PAYE details without your consent - even when the employer is them surely the same law applies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question time. I was offered provisional Officer post on the back of the TSP2016 campaign, which required 2.2 degree or higher. The current HO trawl only requires 2 X A levels or equivalent. Why then do those offers from TSP at Officer level still need degree level qualifications when the HO jobs only require 2 X A levels, seems a bit odd?

Got a call from Moira House tonight and heading to Lisburn Wednesday with proof of i.d. and qualifications, thank goodness things are finally moving along 😀
Reply 149
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
Question time. I was offered provisional Officer post on the back of the TSP2016 campaign, which required 2.2 degree or higher. The current HO trawl only requires 2 X A levels or equivalent. Why then do those offers from TSP at Officer level still need degree level qualifications when the HO jobs only require 2 X A levels, seems a bit odd?

Got a call from Moira House tonight and heading to Lisburn Wednesday with proof of i.d. and qualifications, thank goodness things are finally moving along 😀

You aren't getting the job you applied for so you don't actually need the degree level for Band EO. The job you're offered off the back of that (if you didn't reach assessment centre) is based on your scoring at test level. Really you're getting a job from your test levels with no interviews whereas internal applicants have 2 or more compence based application form and/or interview for EO.
Reply 150
Original post by Jamz115
How long do these pre-employment checks take? How is the employment history checked? Someone says they don't use referees but surely HMRC can't go rooting through your PAYE details without your consent - even when the employer is them surely the same law applies

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you compete your pre employment forms and you sign them it gives HMRC permission to check your job history and references to your PAYE record, it actually states it on the page you complete. We may check the information you provided with PAYE or other sources to confirm your identity and references - it's to that effect. Pre employment checks can take a minimum of 20 days, that's including security and references. They also have to account for where each person is needed and where they have to be placed, when you have over 1000 people to sift through in different cities across the UK it can take some time.
Original post by kezxo
When you compete your pre employment forms and you sign them it gives HMRC permission to check your job history and references to your PAYE record, it actually states it on the page you complete. We may check the information you provided with PAYE or other sources to confirm your identity and references - it's to that effect. Pre employment checks can take a minimum of 20 days, that's including security and references. They also have to account for where each person is needed and where they have to be placed, when you have over 1000 people to sift through in different cities across the UK it can take some time.

I see so it checks the dates you have written correspond with the dates on record with PAYE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by Jamz115
I see so it checks the dates you have written correspond with the dates on record with PAYE

J
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure what they check but imagine dates, workplace etc. It would CSR or the job holder who does that and it's usually staff with other roles who are running other recruitment campaigns. There's a lot of other recruitment that you wouldn't see online as you're not an employee. So while you're all waiting for offers there's an internal campaign happening. I imagine what's going on is that they are putting the internal staff into post first, the ones that are experienced and don't need trained then fitting in trainees around them. There wouldn't be any point in putting 10 new trainees into a team with no experienced staff as there wouldn't be anyone to mentor them.
Original post by kezxo
You aren't getting the job you applied for so you don't actually need the degree level for Band EO. The job you're offered off the back of that (if you didn't reach assessment centre) is based on your scoring at test level. Really you're getting a job from your test levels with no interviews whereas internal applicants have 2 or more compence based application form and/or interview for EO.

👍

Appreciated, just seems strange that CSR/1667/16 HMRC Band O Tax Professional Programme 2016 still asks for degree at O level ........wonder if I'd still get a formal offer if I just showed A level quals, lol? After all, the job is offered on the basis of test results from TSP. I'm just glad that things are finally moving. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated
Reply 154
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
👍

Appreciated, just seems strange that CSR/1667/16 HMRC Band O Tax Professional Programme 2016 still asks for degree at O level ........wonder if I'd still get a formal offer if I just showed A level quals, lol? After all, the job is offered on the basis of test results from TSP. I'm just glad that things are finally moving. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated

They're so strict so probably not. I don't recognise that Band O programme, is that what's in your email? As far as I know this is the first year they've ever offered jobs off the TSP with no interview/assessment centre at band O level. Usually they wait until the TSP assessment centre and offer those who don't meet criteria HEO jobs. So it's a new thing but probably won't accept A Level certs as you've stated degree level.

Apologies for the mis-spelling and typos it's been a long day!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kezxo
They're so strict so probably not. I don't recognise that Band O programme, is that what's in your email? As far as I know this is the first year they've ever offered jobs off the TSP with no interview/assessment centre at band O level. Usually they wait until the TSP assessment centre and offer those who don't meet criteria HEO jobs. So it's a new thing but probably won't accept A Level certs as you've stated degree level.

Apologies for the mis-spelling and typos it's been a long day!

Oh dear why a long day lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PapaSmurf46

Anyone any different?

I'm the same. Getting a bit fed up because you can't really put your heart and soul into your current job when your head is turned by another offer. Whole thing isn't done properly. People should not get offers until they do these checks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kezxo
I'm not entirely sure what they check but imagine dates, workplace etc. It would CSR or the job holder who does that and it's usually staff with other roles who are running other recruitment campaigns. There's a lot of other recruitment that you wouldn't see online as you're not an employee. So while you're all waiting for offers there's an internal campaign happening. I imagine what's going on is that they are putting the internal staff into post first, the ones that are experienced and don't need trained then fitting in trainees around them. There wouldn't be any point in putting 10 new trainees into a team with no experienced staff as there wouldn't be anyone to mentor them.

Yea well I had a gap in employment which I was caring for someone which I wrote down - though how they will be able to verify that I don't know. The whole thing has been very badly handled. As soon as you get a provisional offer whether it is formal informal direct or indirect - it's an approach. Naturally your head will be turned regarding your current job and that's the situation I find myself in right now - in limbo and unable to focus properly . The whole process in my view is flawed all these checks should have been completed for anyone on the reserve list regardless if they got called up or not rather than leaving people in limbo for months many no doubt having their hopes built up only to be let down by something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 158
Original post by Jamz115
I'm the same. Getting a bit fed up because you can't really put your heart and soul into your current job when your head is turned by another offer. Whole thing isn't done properly. People should not get offers until they do these checks

Posted from TSR Mobile

People don't get offers before these checks as they change their minds between applying and offers. If the department was to waste time and effort and money completing these checks for say half the applicants that change their minds it would be a complete waste of tax payer's money so they are being logical. It's a provisional offer and should taken at face value for what it is, nothing concrete with HMRC or anywhere until it's formally confirmed in writing.
Original post by kezxo
People don't get offers before these checks as they change their minds between applying and offers. If the department was to waste time and effort and money completing these checks for say half the applicants that change their minds it would be a complete waste of tax payer's money so they are being logical. It's a provisional offer and should taken at face value for what it is, nothing concrete with HMRC or anywhere until it's formally confirmed in writing.

Point is it's a provisional "offer" they are minded to hire you they have a view to hire you whatever way you want to put it. If we were talking about a process that lasted a couple of weeks then there wouldn't be a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending