The Student Room Group

EU protection racket threatens to kneecap England

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Amen brother - I propose flooding them with as many refugees as possible (After we have fortified our glorious Calais giant wall)

Won't work - they're almost all in Germany already after you lot shirked your human (let alone European) duty to help people fleeing from violence and terror.
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Ditto!

'In biology, races are genetically distinct populations within the same species; they typically have relatively minor morphological and genetic differences.'
(http://www.livescience.com/33903-difference-race-ethnicity.html)

What you mean is ethnicity.

Ah, feels good to be schooled by a foreigner on the English language, no? Want to switch to German? Oh, wait, Britain is dead last in Europe in second language fluency. Pity.

There are no genetically distinct populations, you're talking like some sort of Victorian scientific racist or a third Reich pseudo-scientist.
Nah, you lost that privilege through sabotaging the European idea for decades and doing nothing but moaning and complaining.

Others are free to leave, but they will be treated the same way if their leave campaign also consists of nothing but nationalist, xenophobic populism.

You lot need to be punished for not getting the European idea. And you will be punished. Your laughable economy will suffer. Hard.

Strong autism.
Original post by Big, Thick Wali
I find this interesting, the most ridiculously well accomplished people I've ever met, generally did vote leave, I voted remain, but I respect democracy and the TitanticTwitPhil is definitely fulfilling this stereotype of a sneering middle class crybaby.

Absolutely. And what I found interesting is that these guys, incredibly intelligent as they are, are also truly pro-European in the cultural sense. As I said, one of them, who placed in the top 3 on the BCL, works for the number 1 chambers in the country... he speaks, reads and writes medieval German. Latin and Italian. He's a Wagner fanatic. We spent three weeks in Italy on a road trip from Palermo to Venice, he is one of the most culturally un-Anglo-Saxon Anglo-Saxons you will ever meet. But he also has a very strong sense of the importance of democratic accountability and his view is that it is a mistake, and contrary to all the lessons the English have learned about democracy since 1688, to have a body that we cannot vote out making laws for us (and as someone who has done some work in the EU regulatory law area, he knows whereof he speaks).

The other is an art dealer and an expert on Dutch Old Master paintings. He spends around three months of the year in the French Riviera and Switzerland, speaks French with no accent and regularly travels to South America and Africa. Also an Oxonian.

Both of these guys are truly cosmopolitan in the way the whining lower-middle class pro-Europeans almost never are. Both of them are superbly educated and possess an exceptionally broad reading of history. And that is my general experience across my group of friends. The ones who are maybe one generation out of the working-class but who now maybe work in academia... they have almost this desperately insecure need to be pro-EU (which to their mind means pro-European) to get away from their working-class roots.
Won't work - they're almost all in Germany already after you lot shirked your human (let alone European) duty to help people fleeing from violence and terror.

Muh dutiiess
Original post by AlexanderHam
Absolutely. And what I found interesting is that these guys, incredibly intelligent as they are, are also truly pro-European in the cultural sense. As I said, one of them, who placed in the top 3 on the BCL, works for the number 1 chambers in the country... he speaks, reads and writes medieval German. Latin and Italian. He's a Wagner fanatic. We spent three weeks in Italy on a road trip from Palermo to Venice, he is one of the most culturally un-Anglo-Saxon Anglo-Saxons you will ever meet. But he also has a very strong sense of the importance of democratic accountability and his view is that it is a mistake, and contrary to all the lessons the English have learned about democracy since 1688, to have a body that we cannot vote out making laws for us (and as someone who has done some work in the EU regulatory law area, he knows whereof he speaks).

The other is an art dealer and an expert on Dutch Old Master paintings. He spends around three months of the year in the French Riviera and Switzerland, speaks French with no accent and regularly travels to South America and Africa. Also an Oxonian.

Both of these guys are truly cosmopolitan in the way the whining lower-middle class pro-Europeans almost never are. Both of them are superbly educated and possess an exceptionally broad reading of history. And that is my general experience across my group of friends. The ones who are maybe one generation out of the working-class but who now maybe work in academia... they have almost this desperately insecure need to be pro-EU (which to their mind means pro-European) to get away from their working-class roots.

Gosh sounds incredible.

I've often wondered about this last paragraph, it's definitely those people who are 1-2 generations removed from working class who have this bizarre obsession with proving their middle class credentials. The working classes can't afford to care, the upper classes can afford not to care, it's those in the middle who have something to prove.
I agree entirely, for once. And over London devolution. Slightly incredulous as to why you support Owen Smith though, what with his EU line, and indeed much of NuLab. They would love to ignore the people, patronise them, talk our economy down to fail so we can be back in forever more in an even worse deal. What's more they sell it as patriotism and 'what makes us great'.

Ah, feels good to be schooled by a foreigner on the English language, no? Want to switch to German? Oh, wait, Britain is dead last in Europe in second language fluency. Pity.

Still bitter, lol, can't accept the result. 'Europe hates you', you are irrelevant around the world. Yes because Germany is so important and popular isn't it? Especially with the Greeks, Italians, French and Spanish.

Oh yeah- you know what all those second language learners are learning? That's right..English- they do it out of necessity for it is the global language of commerce, and science. There's a clue in there- it's why English people don't need to learn European languages, besides maybe Spanish.
Original post by 999tigger
Im talking about services. They wont be within the single market, which is what passporting is all about and why they wont be able to sell services there. Taroffs wont ake UK goods cheaper, the whole point of them is to impose an additional burden to make the item more expensive.

Do UK do services anywhere except EU? Yes. WTO rules, look them up.
Original post by SHallowvale
Why is that good?

We won't be an EU colony.
Original post by AlexanderHam

They sound like poncy *****. You don't need to be a genius however, to distinguish between cultures, a continent, and a political entity. I think most people of all classes with a few brain cells who are not indoctrinated get that. :smile:
Original post by ckfeister
We won't be an EU colony.

Why is it good to completely leave the single market though?
Why is it good to completely leave the single market though?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37405648

We are better off on our own, why? Global nation not a EU-brick-wall nation.
Original post by midnightice
Strong autism.

So the only people who have differing views to yours are autists?
Original post by ckfeister
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37405648

We are better off on our own, why? Global nation not a EU-brick-wall nation.

We can be a global nation and have access to the single market so, again, why should we leave the single market all together?

The article doesn't have anything which supports the argument that we should abandon the EU and the single market.
We never needed 'friends' like this in the first place. Too bad so many of our political elites are such sell outs too.

Long into the future, the tectonic plates will shift. A huge Himalayan scale mountain range will be forced up, and Europe will join the African continent. The UK will stay as an island drifting further.....

True geological fact that--and oh, what a dream..
Reply 56
Ahh EU bashing again, haven't you credulous teets gotten bored of that yet?
We can be a global nation and have access to the single market so, again, why should we leave the single market all together?

The article doesn't have anything which supports the argument that we should abandon the EU and the single market.

The single market is a protectionist cartel designed to enforce political union on it's cowed members by economic union. With arrogant 'teutons' lecturing people on what to do, to the detriment of most European nations, especially the south. Thank **** we are out. Shame so many of our politicians are still sell outs, but it can change in the future I guess.
Original post by yudothis
So the only people who have differing views to yours are autists?

Um, pretty clear that this guy has an obsessive infatuation with being 'right' and personally insults others who do not agree with him, all due to his inability to be empathetic towards different opinions. Seems pretty autistic to me.

I imagine you're now going to say that's hypocritical because I personally called him autistic, but at the very least I don't parade around here spouting demagogic bile with an infantile profile picture to inflate my decrepit ego.*
Good, and so they should. It was made crystal clear that this was going to happen before the vote so anybody acting as if this is some kind of surprise must have had wool in their ears.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending