The Student Room Group

Stuck with unsociable flatmates

I was so excited to move into my flat and meet people, however so far it has been a complete disappointment. I moved in last week and found that 3 of my 4 flatmates were Chinese. Of course I didn't mind about this but one of my friends at another Uni said that Chinese people have a reputation for always sticking together in their own groups, and she was completely right. I've only had one conversation with them and it was just awkward small talk. I've been down to the kitchen a few times and have always tried to make conversation with them but they are always talking to one another in Chinese and pretty much ignore me apart from the occasional "hello". I have 1 flatmate who is English but he spends most of his time at his girlfriends flat and never seems interested in socializing with me.

I'm someone who finds it difficult being away from home anyway and am feeling quite homesick, and the fact that my flatmates are being unsociable is just making me feel so lonely. I keep calling home and crying down the phone to my mum about how sad I feel. How do I make this situation better?
Reply 1
had a mate who had 11 chinese international students out of a flat of 12.

meet your neighbours. knock and say your flatmates are boring as ****.
Have you tried knocking on the door of the next flat and seeing if they'll take you in? If you explain the situation most people would be more than happy to invite you out with them and such :smile:
Ugh that is annoying! Join some societies? I know the people in the flat are the problem, but societies will keep you busy and happy in the evenings!
Reply 4
It seems that that the main course of action would to move to another flat if you spend the majority of your time at home. Simply doing nothing will just continue to stress yourself out. Another idea is to join societies and clubs at your university to make more friends. You never know, the people you make friends with there might have a space or looking for flatmates :smile:.

If not...research around your area who are looking for flatmates.
Original post by jemmaa01
I was so excited to move into my flat and meet people, however so far it has been a complete disappointment. I moved in last week and found that 3 of my 4 flatmates were Chinese. Of course I didn't mind about this but one of my friends at another Uni said that Chinese people have a reputation for always sticking together in their own groups, and she was completely right. I've only had one conversation with them and it was just awkward small talk. I've been down to the kitchen a few times and have always tried to make conversation with them but they are always talking to one another in Chinese and pretty much ignore me apart from the occasional "hello". I have 1 flatmate who is English but he spends most of his time at his girlfriends flat and never seems interested in socializing with me.

I'm someone who finds it difficult being away from home anyway and am feeling quite homesick, and the fact that my flatmates are being unsociable is just making me feel so lonely. I keep calling home and crying down the phone to my mum about how sad I feel. How do I make this situation better?

Which university?
Original post by jemmaa01

i agree with others saying you need to knock on other doors or post on facebook and see if anyone wants to meet up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending