The Student Room Group

Just how competitive is Law? Reapplying dilemma.

Hey all,

I'm really unsure about the current university I'm scheduled to go to - a top London one (for Law). Mainly, I have a lot of concerns about poor student satisfaction, reports of very poor social life, bad teaching, and just London issues in general etc.

I've considered taking a gap year (I'm taking one regardless so I would be able to make the most of and I'm not adverse to it) and applying again to prestigious but more student-friendly universities, and probably one or two in London again simply because it's difficult to avoid the trap of applying to the 'best' unis possible.

However, I understand that Law is a competitive course, and even though I have pretty perfect grades, I can't be sure of where I'll end up. I'd really hate to reapply and end up somewhere 'worse' or with no offers at all. I will admit I have really good grades (I don't want to be accused of trolling or showing off or whatever because I'm genuinely anxious) but so do most people. I have some good relevant EC stuff for the personal statement, and have a slight advantage in that my 6th form is poor. I'm not sure if there's any advantage to having actual grades as opposed to predicted.

However, the main unis I would be applying to would be Oxford, LSE, UCL, Durham and a 5th choice I'm not too sure about. Obviously the main 4 are all very competitive. Maybe my local uni Sheffield, or something as a 5th choice - but it's not really ideal.

I guess I'm just asking for advice on my dilemma in general, and peoples experiences with how competitive law admissions are.
University experiences are what you make of them. When I was applying for uni, everyone told me that the LSE was very prestigious but a drag as far as social lives were concerned. They could not have been more wrong! 3 of the best years of my life! Wouldn't change it for the world. Made some of my best friends there.
Original post by arrowhead
University experiences are what you make of them. When I was applying for uni, everyone told me that the LSE was very prestigious but a drag as far as social lives were concerned. They could not have been more wrong! 3 of the best years of my life! Wouldn't change it for the world. Made some of my best friends there.

I suppose - I guess I just have still have a lot of concerns, and London wasn't really what I was ideally looking for in terms of university. Did you want to go to university in London/at LSE or was it more because you didn't want to give up the prestige of it?
Original post by Whippersniffer
I suppose - I guess I just have still have a lot of concerns, and London wasn't really what I was ideally looking for in terms of university. Did you want to go to university in London/at LSE or was it more because you didn't want to give up the prestige of it?

To be perfectly honest, I didn't rightly care about the LSE. I always dreamt of Oxford but completely fell apart in my interview, LSE was the next best thing. I even had the opportunity to go to Warwick, as my insurance choice, where I would have got the 'campus experience' if you will.

I was too focused on my career though. I wanted to have the best opportunity to make it at the Bar (retired that dream during uni, but that's a different story), and chose LSE because it would, in my mind, better place me for a City job. I genuinely think your social life is what you make of it and spending three years in London was absolutely fantastic! But, each to his own. You have to go somewhere where you're happy to go.
To be perfectly honest, I didn't rightly care about the LSE. I always dreamt of Oxford but completely fell apart in my interview, LSE was the next best thing. I even had the opportunity to go to Warwick, as my insurance choice, where I would have got the 'campus experience' if you will.

I was too focused on my career though. I wanted to have the best opportunity to make it at the Bar (retired that dream during uni, but that's a different story), and chose LSE because it would, in my mind, better place me for a City job. I genuinely think your social life is what you make of it and spending three years in London was absolutely fantastic! But, each to his own. You have to go somewhere where you're happy to go.

You sound an awful lot like me lol - I'm most scared of turning down an offer because I don't want to jeopardise my chances of a TC at a big MC firm or something. I guess the optimist in me just thinks that if I'm taking a gap year anyway with good grades and what not, I'd at least get into somewhere half-way decent that has a bit more of the campus/uni experience I was looking for whether that's Oxford/Durham etc. Unfortunately, I probably won't have the guts to turn down my offer as I'm a very anxious person if it's not apparent already haha.

Thanks again for your response.
Reply 5

I have actually been needing someone to advise me on LSE- I have only heard negative things about the school in terms of teaching, student satisfaction and student life, but is it really that bad? Is the social life just partying & is the atmosphere as competitive, vicious and snobbish as people make it out to be? Also what's accommodation like after 1st year- I know it'll be more expensive as it is london, but how bad? Any advice would be much appreciated, sorry I've bombarded you with so many questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending