The Student Room Group

Biology Olympiad 2017 Thread

Couldn't find one of these yet so thought I'd make one! This is a thread for everyone who is taking part in the January Biology Olympiad to share what kind of things they're studying in preparation for the Olympiad and to talk to other students about participating in general! Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmmaL.AM
Couldn't find one of these yet so thought I'd make one! This is a thread for everyone who is taking part in the January Biology Olympiad to share what kind of things they're studying in preparation for the Olympiad and to talk to other students about participating in general! Good luck everyone!

Do you do the Biology Olympiad in Year 13? :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by karmacrunch
Do you do the Biology Olympiad in Year 13? :tongue:

Yeah! Well, that's what I'm doing at least, and quite a few other colleges.
Hey,

This blog Biolympiads has good resources for British Biology olympiad, International biology olympiad, and Brain bee contest.
Hi, I'm doing the biology Olympiad in January, does anyone have any study tips?
Reply 5
does the biology olympiad look good on personal statement or cv? I'm thinking of doing it next year, but if it isn't recognised by universities that I've done it (as applications will be sent before) is there a point?
Reply 6
I am doing it in a few days. Am in year 12. Anybody done it yet? What to expect and how are you prepping for it???
Original post by Dubbb
I am doing it in a few days. Am in year 12. Anybody done it yet? What to expect and how are you prepping for it???

Little late. I'm in Year 13 (did it in Y12 too, best hint I could give was to crash course everything and memorise all you could) and I'm going it tomorrow.

Say how it went when you do it ;p
Reply 8
Just completed paper 1 of the olympiad. How did everyone find it?
Original post by Baaah
Just completed paper 1 of the olympiad. How did everyone find it?

Pretty good. I loathe myself for failing the last question about Starfish. Tch, for a person who enjoys Spongebob, I can't believe it. I even had it right then changed it through paranoia!
Reply 10
What topic/topics came up the most? Was it cell biology or animal/plant physiology or genetics, etc?
Just a note for anyone considering replying, some people haven't done the paper yet. Don't spoil the fun for them!
Reply 12
Original post by Callicious
Just a note for anyone considering replying, some people haven't done the paper yet. Don't spoil the fun for them!

Did you do paper A or B?

I don't remember anything to do with starfish lol.

Anyway, I hope I get at least a commendation. I'm still at AS and I worked hard at summarising the A level syllabus :smile:
Original post by Baaah
Did you do paper A or B?

I don't remember anything to do with starfish lol.

Anyway, I hope I get at least a commendation. I'm still at AS and I worked hard at summarising the A level syllabus :smile:

The stuff on biosystematics is memory intensive I agree. I'm an A2 fellow and we never didn't any of it, I know for a fact I got it wrong though.
(edited 7 years ago)
How do we know what score we got? :/
Original post by marcobruni98
How do we know what score we got? :/

They give out the raw scores after a few weeks, and the grades a little thereafter
They give out the raw scores after a few weeks, and the grades a little thereafter

Thank you! :smile: so nervous
Reply 17
The second part of the exam tommorow after school...
So nervous!!!
Reply 18
Pretty good. I loathe myself for failing the last question about Starfish. Tch, for a person who enjoys Spongebob, I can't believe it. I even had it right then changed it through paranoia!

I am doing it tomorrow. Any last minute advice???
Original post by Dubbb
I am doing it tomorrow. Any last minute advice???

Definitely learn the answers to all the questions in the specimen paper on the website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending