The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Donkey******
I have 5 gyarados, I have 2 with bite/ hydro pump the rest have twister or dragon rage.
Sucks so much farming for decent evolutions.

Damn you've already picked up over 2000 magikarp candies?

They should introduce a TM system. Perhaps something like it is another random item you can pick up at pokestops and then you have to donate X number of candies of that type pokemon to then use the TM?

Very frustrating when you find a high CP pokemon with great IV stats.. this magikarp I have is 15/15/15 in stats so would be perfect if the move is hydropump..

I've decided I'm going to try and get a Victrebell or Exegguctor with solar beam as my strong grass type to counter all the water pokemon. Not sure which I'll get first.. Would still need a lightning type for Gyarados since the flying duel type counter the grass..

Why is Gyarados water/flying? I thought it was water/dragon..?
Original post by Zerforax
Damn you've already picked up over 2000 magikarp candies?

They should introduce a TM system. Perhaps something like it is another random item you can pick up at pokestops and then you have to donate X number of candies of that type pokemon to then use the TM?

Very frustrating when you find a high CP pokemon with great IV stats.. this magikarp I have is 15/15/15 in stats so would be perfect if the move is hydropump..

I've decided I'm going to try and get a Victrebell or Exegguctor with solar beam as my strong grass type to counter all the water pokemon. Not sure which I'll get first.. Would still need a lightning type for Gyarados since the flying duel type counter the grass..

Why is Gyarados water/flying? I thought it was water/dragon..?

Pisses me off so much that gyarados typing. Everything is gen 1 typing, unless it suits them (ie. Having Fairy/Dark type already implemented) so yeah, hopefully they'll fix that, but at the moment it's crap.

Yeah the magikarp are easy to farm in Birmingham, one of the main lure hotspots is by the canals so you can literally sit, fish and drink beer. It's almost like real fishing :wink:
Pisses me off so much that gyarados typing. Everything is gen 1 typing, unless it suits them (ie. Having Fairy/Dark type already implemented) so yeah, hopefully they'll fix that, but at the moment it's crap.

Yeah the magikarp are easy to farm in Birmingham, one of the main lure hotspots is by the canals so you can literally sit, fish and drink beer. It's almost like real fishing :wink:

I'm not convinced duel typing is a blessing on Pokemon Go. At least you could have 4 moves on the games which meant you could take advantage of duel types and cover weaknesses. Whereas on Pokemon Go you are just being exposed to more weaknesses unless your duel types cover off each other..
I'm not convinced duel typing is a blessing on Pokemon Go. At least you could have 4 moves on the games which meant you could take advantage of duel types and cover weaknesses. Whereas on Pokemon Go you are just being exposed to more weaknesses unless your duel types cover off each other..

Yeah you kind of need a sweep team and a defence team for gyms, it doesn't help that Snorlax is so powerful with only fighting as a weakness.

It's a new game though, I'm happy for them to iron out bugs.
Yeah you kind of need a sweep team and a defence team for gyms, it doesn't help that Snorlax is so powerful with only fighting as a weakness.

It's a new game though, I'm happy for them to iron out bugs.

Tbh I usually pick up a couple of gyms which are close by, collect my 20 coins and then happy to lose them soon after. Yea I've only got a small handful of decent pokemon so far. Would be nice to have a high level fighting pokemon to deal with so many Snorlax. Just hatched a Hitmonlee with both fighting moves but with 800 CP and not being particularly strong, don't think it's worth powering up.

Machamp seems to be the one to have but I'm 99 candies and a good moveset away from that :colondollar:
Tbh I usually pick up a couple of gyms which are close by, collect my 20 coins and then happy to lose them soon after. Yea I've only got a small handful of decent pokemon so far. Would be nice to have a high level fighting pokemon to deal with so many Snorlax. Just hatched a Hitmonlee with both fighting moves but with 800 CP and not being particularly strong, don't think it's worth powering up.

Machamp seems to be the one to have but I'm 99 candies and a good moveset away from that :colondollar:

Annoys me how bad Gengar is :frown:

But yeah, there's not a strong pokemon in each type at the moment.
Annoys me how bad Gengar is :frown:

But yeah, there's not a strong pokemon in each type at the moment.

I think Alakazam is the one which upsets me.. was basically the best pokemon in the original game series.

In some ways I'm surprised how spread the highest/lowest stats and CP are between pokemon.
I think Alakazam is the one which upsets me.. was basically the best pokemon in the original game series.

In some ways I'm surprised how spread the highest/lowest stats and CP are between pokemon.

Gengar was put in the game to deal with Alakazam, the poor typing system meant that the ghost poison combo screwed Gengar's effectiveness vs Alakazam.

But yeah, bugs me dragonite is so OP in this game.
Gengar was put in the game to deal with Alakazam, the poor typing system meant that the ghost poison combo screwed Gengar's effectiveness vs Alakazam.

But yeah, bugs me dragonite is so OP in this game.

I didn't even realise Gengar was poison type too.. always thought just ghost.
I didn't even realise Gengar was poison type too.. always thought just ghost.

Weird, I had it in my head that ghost was super effective against psychic, but everything else is saying no effect. :/

Apparently bug is the only thing that was super effective (which again is understandable why Alakazam was so OP, all the bugs in gen 1 were poison as well, weren't they?)
Weird, I had it in my head that ghost was super effective against psychic, but everything else is saying no effect. :/

Apparently bug is the only thing that was super effective (which again is understandable why Alakazam was so OP, all the bugs in gen 1 were poison as well, weren't they?)

I think generation 2 they made ghost super effective against psychic?

Scyther is the only one which comes to mind which is bug but not poison.
I think generation 2 they made ghost super effective against psychic?

Scyther is the only one which comes to mind which is bug but not poison.

Heracross as well, or was that gen 2?

Was pinsir poison?
I don't think butterfree is a poison type, thought it was a psychic/bug type?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heracross as well, or was that gen 2?

Was pinsir poison?

Heracross was def gen 2.

Yea perhaps Pinsir is another only bug type? Neither were particularly strong which didn't help.

A Jolteon with pin missile was usually the way to go..

Original post by Scienceisgood
I don't think butterfree is a poison type, thought it was a psychic/bug type?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe bug/flying? Although it did learn confusion or some other psychic moves.
Just gained a veeeery nice chunk of 72k exp today evolving all my ratatta, pidgy and a few new evolutions I've been saving (Arbok, Tentacruel, Electrode and Persian). =D

Only 20k exp off level 24 now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Just gained a veeeery nice chunk of 72k exp today evolving all my ratatta, pidgy and a few new evolutions I've been saving (Arbok, Tentacruel, Electrode and Persian). =D

Only 20k exp off level 24 now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice work!

Been powering up my Poliwrath since it's easy to find Poliwag candy and now he's CP 1750 :biggrin:
FML.. my last 4 eggs:

5km - Krabby
5km - Krabby
10km - Onyx
10km - Scyther

All of which I have :frown:
On 101 in the pokedex. Got another 7 new evolutions ready and just need 2 more Magikarp for my first Gyarados..

I get the feeling I'll evolve some of the pokemon and they won't have any of the moves I want and then I'll ragequit :colondollar:
Looks like most people have given up now?

Now up to 110 in pokedex.. I don't know if 141 is too far away or a possible target?

Did some more evolutions. Very pleased that my IV perfect Magikarp evolved into a Gyarados with Hydropump :biggrin: Will start powering it up now..

Unfortunately my Exeggutor didn't get any grass moves with Psychic which makes it a little useless to me. Was lucky to hatch a bellsprout which meant I was able to evolve for a Victrebell which does have solar beam. Not as well rounded as a Exegguctor but the attack stats are pretty high so I'll stick to this for now. Also powered a Slowbro to CP 1900 as they seem to be a pretty good gym defence pokemon.
Alright guys, there is a level 7 and a level 9 gym down the road from me owned by Valor...
On my way back from uni tomorrow, they're going down...

This is my mission!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest