The Student Room Group

Urgent!: Applying to a doctoral program in the States during a one year MSc in the UK

Hi everyone,

I'm of Indian nationality and citizenship and I'll be starting my MSc in Molecular Medicine at Imperial College London in September 2017. At the time of entry into the MSc, two years would have passed since I finished my undergrad at Exeter, doing internships and projects etc.

As a result of this two year gap I'd like to start a PhD ideally in the States immediately after I come out of my MSc.

Will this be possible if my MSc at Imperial is a one year course? I'd have to start applying almost as soon as the MSc starts?

It's eating me up and I'd appreciate your thoughts!

-Yusman
Original post by Yusman
Hi everyone,

I'm of Indian nationality and citizenship and I'll be starting my MSc in Molecular Medicine at Imperial College London in September 2017. At the time of entry into the MSc, two years would have passed since I finished my undergrad at Exeter, doing internships and projects etc.

As a result of this two year gap I'd like to start a PhD ideally in the States immediately after I come out of my MSc.

Will this be possible if my MSc at Imperial is a one year course? I'd have to start applying almost as soon as the MSc starts?

-Yusman

That's the standard in the UK anyway. Ii don't know if the US expect anything different, but the majority of people who want to go on to a PhD will be making their applications in the first term of their Masters.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
That's the standard in the UK anyway. Ii don't know if the US expect anything different, but the majority of people who want to go on to a PhD will be making their applications in the first term of their Masters.

I thought so, surely that's how everyone manages? - but I've heard some people saying that one ought to take a year out (which I don't want to do) to make a stronger application
Original post by Yusman
I thought so, surely that's how everyone manages? - but I've heard some people saying that one ought to take a year out (which I don't want to do) to make a stronger application

That's how everyone manages. You could take a year out, useful if you have plans to earn money during the year, but otherwise pulling your application together in that first term, maybe sitting on it over Christmas and submitting in Jan, is entirely the norm.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
That's how everyone manages. You could take a year out, useful if you have plans to earn money during the year, but otherwise pulling your application together in that first term, maybe sitting on it over Christmas and submitting in Jan, is entirely the norm.

That's good to know. I mean I won't have my final marks/much to report on my project/publication (my course has a 6 month research project which starts in term 2) but they can't expect everyone to be enrolled in a two year program. *Sigh* the States colleges are so demanding!
Original post by Yusman
Hi everyone,

-Yusman

Hi Yusman

For the most part, this should not be a problem; most US PhD programs accept applicants straight from their undergrad degrees. So, to them, you not having completed a Master's program is not really an issue.

That said, if you have weak(er) undergrad results, then you might want to think about delaying an application until you have strong Master's grades to show, and/or can get strong references from your Master's program. That is what I chose to do (having a 2:1 for undergrad, I didn't think I'd be very competitive without strong Master's grades).
Reply 6
Original post by madamemerle
Hi Yusman

For the most part, this should not be a problem; most US PhD programs accept applicants straight from their undergrad degrees. So, to them, you not having completed a Master's program is not really an issue.

That said, if you have weak(er) undergrad results, then you might want to think about delaying an application until you have strong Master's grades to show, and/or can get strong references from your Master's program. That is what I chose to do (having a 2:1 for undergrad, I didn't think I'd be very competitive without strong Master's grades).

I'm facing the same issue as you are. Technically they do accept undergrads but the real workings seem to be a lot more demanding (normal profile is someone who has won some sort of an academic award, has been published, and has a first) which is why I was worried. So did you wait a year between your Masters and PhD?
Reply 7
Original post by Yusman
Hi everyone,

-Yusman

I think you should also pay attention on the start dates to avoid an overlap of courses. I'm not sure but if your Ms ends in September meaning that the board of examiners meets in October to make a decision upon your award and the start of a phd in September, the question here would be if you can start a phd without being officially awarded a master.
Reply 8
Original post by agrew
I think you should also pay attention on the start dates to avoid an overlap of courses. I'm not sure but if your Ms ends in September meaning that the board of examiners meets in October to make a decision upon your award and the start of a phd in September, the question here would be if you can start a phd without being officially awarded a master.

Oh man I hadn't even considered that! Yes it's a 12 month course so I assume it will go on till the September of the following year - you make a valid (and worrying!) point. I'll have to starting pinpointing doctoral programs I want to apply to and figure out start dates/get emailing the admissions office about this. Thanks for your input!
Reply 9
Original post by Yusman
Oh man I hadn't even considered that! Yes it's a 12 month course so I assume it will go on till the September of the following year - you make a valid (and worrying!) point. I'll have to starting pinpointing doctoral programs I want to apply to and figure out start dates/get emailing the admissions office about this. Thanks for your input!

You're welcome. You can also consider those programs that start in January.
Original post by Yusman
I'm facing the same issue as you are. Technically they do accept undergrads but the real workings seem to be a lot more demanding (normal profile is someone who has won some sort of an academic award, has been published, and has a first) which is why I was worried. So did you wait a year between your Masters and PhD?

Yes, I applied at around the time I received my results (my degree was September -September, so I got my dissertation results in November and applied in December). I do think it helped a lot to be able to show a distinction at MA. It wasn't quite a year between finishing my MA and moving to the US since I arrived at the beginning of August the following year. That said, I had a job that I was working full time throughout my Master's, so I had that to continue with for that 10 month period and I didn't need to search for work, which made it very feasible for me to do it that way.
Original post by Yusman

In the US this shouldn't be a problem, since offers are not conditional. They are simply offers and you either have a place or you don't.
thegradcafe.com is a good meeting place for people (mostly Americans) considering doctoral programs. You may find other sites that are more specific to your interests.
Reply 13
Original post by agrew
You're welcome. You can also consider those programs that start in January.

Yes that's what Ill probably end up doing if the starting right away plan works.
Reply 14
Yes, I applied at around the time I received my results (my degree was September -September, so I got my dissertation results in November and applied in December). I do think it helped a lot to be able to show a distinction at MA. It wasn't quite a year between finishing my MA and moving to the US since I arrived at the beginning of August the following year. That said, I had a job that I was working full time throughout my Master's, so I had that to continue with for that 10 month period and I didn't need to search for work, which made it very feasible for me to do it that way.

That makes sense. I'm worried about taking a year out as getting a job in the UK (as a non-EU international person) with all the visa business is getting more complicated to the extent of being almost impossible. I suppose I could always come back to India for that year, and make my application to the States.
Reply 15
Original post by Camilli
thegradcafe.com is a good meeting place for people (mostly Americans) considering doctoral programs. You may find other sites that are more specific to your interests.

I'll check it out, thanks for the info!
Reply 16
In the US this shouldn't be a problem, since offers are not conditional. They are simply offers and you either have a place or you don't.

Which doctoral program did you apply for in the States?
Original post by Yusman
Which doctoral program did you apply for in the States?

Discipline? I applied to a variety of humanities programs, because my research is interdisciplinary. I ended up in an English Department, which is what my undergrad degree is in. I applied all over - 7 schools in the States and 3 in Canada; and I appliedacross the rankings, I was looking for a good fit and supervisors, and not necessarily a particular rank.

As far as January intakes go: I've noticed that very few schools do a January start in the US, and those that do tend not to be fully funded programs, or tend to be less well thought of programs (the two things often go hand in hand). It may be different in your field, but that's what I've noticed in the humanities. For instance, I just searched BU's admissions, they have a Molecular Medicine PhD program, and it looks like they only accept Spring admissions for the shorter, more industry-related courses, not for PhDs: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/admissions/
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending